PDA

View Full Version : FP16 + antialiasing

Ysaneya
09-09-2006, 11:25 AM
I read that the high-end ATI cards (X1800+) support antialiasing with FP16 render targets. Does anybody have any idea on how to enable antialiasing ?

I tried to create a Pbuffer with an attribute WGL_SAMPLES_ARB set to 4, but no valid format is found when calling "wglChoosePixelFormatARB". I haven't tried with FBOs yet (i've yet to switch to FBOs).

Y.

gybe
09-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Don't loose your time trying with the FBOs, it's not supported yet in OpenGL and I don't think they care about it. It's working in D3D, but fillrate performance are disapointing.

Ysaneya
09-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Well, what are my options to have both HDRI and antialiasing ? Other than rendering to a x4 buffer and sampling it 4 times in a pixel shader (costing x4 fillrate) ?

Korval
09-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Don't loose your time trying with the FBOs, it's not supported yet in OpenGL and I don't think they care about it.Nobody's implemented the extensions, but the necessary extensions do exist already.

Well, what are my options to have both HDRI and antialiasing ?Under OpenGL, wait for the IHV's to implement the appropriate extension specs.

gybe
09-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Here are the 2 extensions, they have been completed and approved since december last year.

EXT_framebuffer_blit (http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/EXT/framebuffer_blit.txt)

EXT_framebuffer_multisample (http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/EXT/framebuffer_multisample.txt)

Ysaneya
09-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I got news from ATI's devrel. They have no intention of supporting FP16+antialiasing in their current drivers, because they prefer to focus on Vista. That's pretty lame IMO: their hardware can already do it, they've been using this argument (ah, look Nvidia, we can do FP16+antialiasing) in their advertisements and marketings everywhere, and it will take a few years before Vista is well installed, but no..

Y.

gybe
09-20-2006, 07:17 AM
I suppose there's not enough money to make with this feature since no game use it.

Is there any plan to support this feature in the FireGL driver?