PDA

View Full Version : Replace OpenGL Line Method

swrittenb
10-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Has anyone replaced the OpenGL line drawing method with one of their own? Is it just a matter of overriding one method? Is it even possible? Thanks for any assistance.

Scott

swrittenb
10-19-2003, 07:59 AM
I should probably expand on that; what I really refer to is a glBegin(GL_LINES) block. Is there any way to replace the line drawing algorithm used in that block by another custom one?

Thanks, sorry for any confusion,
scott

Jan
10-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Why does everyone think OpenGL is not optimized enough? (see thread about "direct hardware access") I donīt see a reason why you should replace that function, you wonīt get a speed-up!

Anyway, if you only want to do line-stippling, or something like that, then there is no reason to overload that function, you can do that with other ways.

Jan.

V-man
10-19-2003, 11:29 AM
No, you can't give GL your own algorithm for rasterization of any primitive.

Rasterization is part of the fixed pipe and noone intends to change that. I already asked "how programmable are they gone get" to nvidia.

PS: nothing to do with performance. it's about customizing.

swrittenb
10-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Ah alright, thanks for the help!

And you're right, it's not about performance, it's about customization. I'm not planning to try to best the OpenGL algorithms; like it was said, they're fast enough as is. I just want to play with the algorithms. Thanks anyway!

scott