PDA

View Full Version : PBuffer - depth component

josiph
11-19-2003, 06:24 AM
Hi,

is it possible to use glReadPixels from the pbuffer (wglCreatePbufferARB) in the same way like from the frame buffer? i'd like to read DEPTH_COMPONENT but i have the blank buffer after the rendering.
(NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440, true color).

greetings,
josiph

Tom Nuydens
11-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Did you remember to request a depth buffer when creating your pbuffer? If so, how many bits do you request?

-- Tom

lost hope
11-19-2003, 08:23 AM
you also must remember to enable depth testing for the pbuffer (glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST)), or else rendering will have no effect on the depth buffer, even if it does in fact exist.

rgpc
11-19-2003, 03:09 PM
It's also worth noting that depending on how you set up your Frustum and how you render you geometry, the variation in z-values may be very subtle. It might look like you have a blank (eg. white) pbuffer, but it may simply be that the precision isn't there to see the different values.

For testing, move your far plane in (and/or your near plane out) so that your geometry fills up more of the space between the two planes. That'll make the variation more obvious.

josiph
11-19-2003, 10:40 PM
i asked for 32 in the ChoosePixelFormat, but i obtained just 16 bits in truecolor mode.
so i set the depth bits to 16 (higher values did not work):
WGL_DEPTH_BITS_ARB, 16

complete atributes array for the wglChoosePixelFormatARB looks like this:
WGL_SUPPORT_OPENGL_ARB, TRUE,
WGL_DRAW_TO_PBUFFER_ARB, TRUE,
WGL_COLOR_BITS_ARB, 32,
WGL_DEPTH_BITS_ARB, 16,
WGL_DOUBLE_BUFFER_ARB, TRUE,
WGL_PBUFFER_WIDTH_ARB, n_width,
WGL_PBUFFER_HEIGHT_ARB, n_height,

the array of pbuffer attributes for the wglCreatePbufferARB is empty (just zero terminated).

did i omit something?

josiph

rgpc
11-20-2003, 12:05 AM
Your settings look reasonable. Try calling glError() during your setup code to see if you are getting any errors.

IIRC 32 bit z-depth may not be supported by your card. 24bit is most likely the maximum. (That leaves 8bits for stencil if you want it). I could be wrong though, perhaps some cards will let you use 32bit as long as you don't ask for stencil.

24 bits should work on your card.

josiph
11-20-2003, 12:20 AM
> 24 bits should work on your card.

yes, you're right. when i asked for 24 depth bits in ChoosePixelFormat i got them.
also pbuffer with 24 bits was created afterwards.