PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL wrapping DX8

Ozzy
05-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Ok, it could sounds weird & strange..
But anyone have heard about a DX8 wrapper using GL?
I've only found the opposite done by some guys on BeOs.

any hints?

knackered
05-25-2002, 03:01 PM
I've only found the opposite done by some guys on BeOs

Yes, that's the easy direction.
Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Ozzy
05-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Just what i thought! :) )

LordKronos
05-26-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Ozzy:
Just what i thought! http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif )

You mean so you can take a program that requires OpenGL and run it using DirectX 8 instead? It comes with Windows XP. Search the archives of this forum for the words "XP DirectX Wrapper" to read all about it.

MZ
05-26-2002, 05:17 AM
I've seen game shipping with such wrapper dll (installed on Win98SE, so it's not XP related)
It had funny option:
a) use OpenGl driver directly
b) or use DX through the OpenGl wrapper
The game is flight simulator, i'm not sure its name (my brother has it, probably IL-2 Sturmovik?)

MikeC
05-26-2002, 05:24 AM
I thought the XP wrapper only worked for Quake3?

Alt Software have a GL-on-DX wrapper that's free to download; I've used it with an ATi LT Rage Pro and it works reasonably well. I think it's built as a driver for the Mesa implementation.

Ozzy
05-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Yep yep, but it only wraps DX6.
Anyway, i was just asking this to avoid headaches while coding a D3D version of my rasteriser and then make an *easier* port using GL.
But.. i think i'll need additional tablets at the end! ;))
thx anyway guys!

marcus256
05-27-2002, 03:37 AM
Hi Ozzy!

You need to run an OpenGL app over DX8 (or a DX8 app over OpenGL)? Why is it important with DX8 support? Have you checked http://www.scitechsoft.com/ (but it's DX6)?

Ozzy
05-27-2002, 03:57 AM
Well, i've made a little lib which is supposed to compile & run Xbox samples prg under Win32. (the MSG management with threads & so on was done for this Marcus! thx ;)
Anyhow, it is in an early stage development and it is more a toy than a serious stuff at the moment coz ->
no Xbox specific extensions are available.
no Xbox resources support.
no Xbox shaders support.
no Network support.

My *silly* idea was to use only the common parts between WindowsDX8 and xBoxDX8 versions. ;))

So finally, as the Orky project doesn't need shaders,custom formats and so on it would have been easier to make it run with this modified DX8 version with a GLonDX wrapper instead of rewritting another version of the rasteriser with DX. (rhhaa my head and i've got spots raising everywhere :))

As a conclusion, it's a bit *early* for such things and i don't want to maintain support for several APIs right now.

thx again for the links guys!! :)

Julien Cayzac
05-27-2002, 04:13 AM
TransGaming has a running OpenGL-based implementation of DirectX, used in WineX.

I play Max Payne and Warcraft 3 on Linux thanks to it.

Of course it's opensourced.

deepmind.