PDA

View Full Version : newbie confusion, a second of your time please

dnaboy
03-06-2001, 08:29 PM
Ok, I have been gearing up to get into some OpenGL programming for quite some time but the sheer multitude of ways to do it is overwhelming. Here is where I want to go. I want to begin writing simple games and utilities that are easily portable to win32 (I will develop in Linux). Now I thought that GLUT or libSDL would be a great approach to this portability issue. Is my thinking on this correct. To me, many of the windows opengl code seems monsterous compared to it's glut/C clone (using nehe tutorials as a reference). Just making sure that I am on the right track with my thinking. I would like to eventually write OpenGL apps for embedded systems. Thank you for reading my incoherent post. :-)

- Joel

Elixer
03-06-2001, 08:41 PM
Yes, glut is the easy way to go if you don't want to mess with windows code. Yes, it is portable, so that may be a big plus for you. Glut does have limitations, but it is good for porting some things, and easy to start with.

Tim Stirling
03-07-2001, 09:58 AM
For simple things glut is good, but if you want to make a large heavily GUI based program (like a level editor, or a modeler) then I wouldn't bother making it in glut.