PDA

View Full Version : Release build version does not work

RJH
07-05-2001, 08:35 PM
I have an OpenGL project developed using MS Visual C++ 6.0. The debug build version (launched outside of developer studio) works ok but the release build version - although it appears to run ok - does not render anything in the client area. I'm at a loss to explain how the _exact_ same code could behave so differently. What a nightmare....

john
07-05-2001, 09:12 PM
Hello,

I know nothing about Microsoft and it's release yada yada stuff, save for this:

you are NOT using the EXACT code stream. As soon as you start adding/removing break points, removing trace writes and assertions and a large manner of other things, then you ARE modifying your code stream.

er, so. yer.

cheers,
John

zed
07-05-2001, 10:17 PM
vc helps you out by not doing what you ask it to in debug builds eg u might ask for an array of 20 numbers
int *num = new int[20]
vc will ignore the 20 + give you more (cause its such a nice compiler)
so u can go printf("%d",num[25] ) quite happily. unfortunately debugs older brother the realease guy is not so friendly it'll only give you 20 int's. the penny pinching bastard

RJH
07-05-2001, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by zed:
vc helps you out by not doing what you ask it to in debug builds eg u might ask for an array of 20 numbers
int *num = new int[20]
vc will ignore the 20 + give you more (cause its such a nice compiler)
so u can go printf("%d",num[25] ) quite happily. unfortunately debugs older brother the realease guy is not so friendly it'll only give you 20 int's. the penny pinching bastard

I think what you're talking about is the ability to tell Debugger to ignore certain types of handled exceptions (e.g. Access Violations) which could cause a crash in Release mode. My Debug is setup to always stop on Access Violations and I'm not getting any. I'm not crashing in Release mode - just nothing is being drawn in client area, whereas Debug renders OK. If it crashed, I could fix it. But it's not, everything appears to be processing ok so I dont know what's going on. After weeks of work and testing in Debug mode, to suddenly discover that the Release version inexplicably does not work is shattering. I better quit now before I say something nasty about OpenGL that I may regret.

Eric
07-06-2001, 01:15 AM
I quite agree with zed: each time I had this problem was because of bad memory management... I did access an array element beyond the limits, which was OK for Debug but would crash the Release (by the way zed, thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that !).

You should really investigate this.

Regards.

Eric

P.S.: if what zed said is correct, you wouldn't have any Access Violation in Debug Mode so the setup of your Debug isn't important here...

Tim Stirling
07-06-2001, 04:26 AM
Debug mode also initiates variables to 0 and a load of other nice things that end up makeing life misery when you try a release build. I have a problem with my octree class in release mode. To help solve the problem I built it in release mode but turned of all the optermizations and it worked, then I tried each and ever singular opt. and found the problem- /Ob1 which is used if you have the /O2 opt. This still hasn't helped me find the problem but at least I can use the release mode with most of the optermizations.
Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim Stirling (edited 07-06-2001).]

RJH
07-06-2001, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Tim Stirling:
[B]Debug mode also initiates variables to 0 and a load of other nice things that end up makeing life misery when you try a release build. [B]

Mystery solved - pilot error! You're right. In my app the "gldfov" parameter of the gluPerspective(..) function is configurable and it was not being intialized so it was using a FoV of 0 degrees. Not sure what value the Debug build assigned to it.