PDA

View Full Version : Disabling key hold-downs. PLEASE HELP

iNsaNEiVaN
04-17-2001, 04:45 PM
Okay now that i've got your attention.

Im working in a win32 enviroment and have been using the function GetaSyncKeyState() to detect rapid keyboard input. The problem is, when I tap the button, the thing that I want to move, moves too much!!!

How do I make it so It'll only move one per key-press??

Thank you!

Korval
04-17-2001, 07:44 PM
You might want to invest some time in researching DirectInput. That's probably the best way to go about it.

zed
04-18-2001, 01:03 AM
this has nothing to do with opengl.
im still trying to figure out how dinputs gonna help http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif

you could use the window messages
or do someit like (works on the principle a key is pressed until its not pressed)

JoeMac
04-18-2001, 03:41 AM
GetaSyncKeyState() is for very fast, asycnchronous monitoring, You probably should use something else, or, only move on a 'change' of keystate. Set a flag called 'PreviousPressed' or something, and only move if the button is pressed && PreviousPressed is false.
Joe

thasmin
04-19-2001, 10:41 AM
This code will do it:

case WM_KEYDOWN:
{
// check if key was pressed (opposed to held down)
if (!(lParam & 0x40000000))
keys[wParam] = TRUE;
return 0;
}

Korval
04-19-2001, 12:01 PM
If you don't want to use anything as advanced as DirectInput, you could always put some thought into it. GetAsyncKeyState tells if the key is being pressed down, correct? Just keep a flag around that tells what the previous state of the key was. Only move the object if the last call to GetAsyncKeyState showed that the key hadn't been pressed.