PDA

View Full Version : Polygon Anti-aliasing

05-31-2003, 10:08 PM
Oh here's another thing that came up, when I switch on polygon antialiasing with the GL_FASTEST hint, I see no noticable change to my program. When I switch the hint to GL_NICEST, the program hangs for approximately 2 minutes, then when it finally displays, there are lines shooting all over the place that came out of nowhere.

yaro_dup1
06-01-2003, 02:19 AM
Using GL Hints it's not recommended. Performance of Your program will get much lower. If You want to make antialiasing of polygons try enabling GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH, but remember that You also have to enable GL_BLEND with glBlendFunc (GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA).
Else method of antialiasing is multisample, but You can be sure that it will eat many of FPS http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

cheers,
yaro

Tzupy
06-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Hi,
The result of the primitive antialiasing depends on the type of graphic card installed, driver (if it has hardware antialiasing enabled) and the pixel format (you want a fully accelerated one). Adding full scene antialising helps, but not very much (and on my card 4x FSAA drops speed by about a third). A card with high subpixel precision should antialias primitives quite nicely.