PDA

View Full Version : PDF-file rendering with OpenGL?

torbjorn
09-17-2002, 10:05 PM
Hi!

Is there any possibility to view/render PDF (or other document-types) with OpenGL?

Any libraries for doing this? Functions in OpenGL/GLUT? Other?

-Thanks!

Torbjørn

mikael_aronsson
09-18-2002, 12:30 AM
Hi !

Sure you can do it, I am not sure why you would like to do it though ?, I don't know of any code to do it and the OpenGL API is not very useful for that kind of rendering, but have a look at the source for xpdf for example (that's a Linux app for viewing pdf files).

Mikael

torbjorn
09-18-2002, 12:54 AM
Thanks!

The reason that I want to show PDF-files is that my application is supposed to show documentation of different kind that already exists on PDF-format.

The information could of course be converted to other formats, but I would like to be able to actually download a pdf-file from the Internet, and then display it as a 3D-object (one page at the time, visualized as a paper/book).

torbjorn
09-18-2002, 12:56 AM
By the way! To all of the rest of you folks: Please feel free to let me know if you have other suggestions/code samples to render PDF with OpenGL :-)

Thanks!

Torbjørn

Robbo
09-18-2002, 01:06 AM
I believe .PDF is a proprietary format - but heres an idea - perhaps there is some way you could utilize the acrobat plug-in to render pages of a PDF file to a window or some kind of DC and then generate a DIB for use as a texture in OpenGL.

I feel that actually writing a PDF file renderer would take probably as long if not longer than Adobe actually took to make theirs in the first place http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif

Maybe, just maybe it might be worth asking Adobe about this directly via. their support address?