PDA

View Full Version : Using OpenGL with a webcam??

stumanji02
10-27-2005, 12:58 PM
I am a complete beginner with programming and OpenGL , but I am working on a project for class that involves both. I am wondering if it is possible to use the OpenGL language to control the operation of a simple usb webcam. If this is even possible where would be some good places to look for info?

Thanks for the help and support.

jide
10-27-2005, 01:20 PM
What do you mean with "OpenGL language" ? OpenGL is a library. If you mean "OpenGL shading language" (I guess no), it's no.

Use a language as C and good libraries to control your webcam. Then you'll be able to render what it gets with GL. Several programs under Linux to it this way (mostly xawtv).

10-27-2005, 01:24 PM
you wouldn't use opengl for controlling a webcam. opengl is for graphics and rendering. you might be able to control it using a language like c or java, but you aren't going to be able to just do that with no programming experience.

10-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi,

you can retrieve pictures from a webcam and use those pictures as textures in Opengl. If this is it what you might considered doing there are several ressources for this available.

cheers
Boim