PDA

View Full Version : Anisotropic materials in OGL?

11-13-2005, 01:07 AM
I have never seen any example regarding anisotropic materials in ogl. id like to see it for example on some velvet it would look pretty nice i do this in packages like 3dsmax however id like to have it in realtime within opengl and i know its possible but i cant find any docs about how i should go to emulate / simulate this kind of materials in opengl

thanks in advance

dorbie
11-14-2005, 03:46 PM
You need to use shaders to accomplish this, the fixed function pipeline just doesn't support it and there's no tangent space representation to drive the calculation without a shader either.

Here is an example of anisotropic lighting implemented using shaders:

http://www.codesampler.com/oglsrc/oglsrc_11.htm

11-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks!
but uses CG it is such a bigg (but baddass) dll! my game is like 200kilobytes and why should I have the people to download an almost 2MByte dll for playing it?? its absurd im afraid :( :( any way of not using CG? or something smaller or just no dll at all? no way?

11-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Cant it be done with GLSlang? how can I use this? thanks again srry for my n00blance

dorbie
11-14-2005, 11:56 PM
There appears to be some glslang code at the link I offered. I didn't look too closely.

11-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Oh its just that when i clicked i just saw lots of examples using "cg" what is the diference between cg and glslang???

jide
11-15-2005, 03:01 AM
There are some differences.

Here is a tutorial on glsl:

http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/

11-17-2005, 03:24 PM
thanks everyone for the help!
i will study all this indeep and see if i get something good out of it

i just want to use glsl though and not nvidia's because it seems like more direct to opengl and also easier to me i guess so

whats better though?
i cant find a comparison list with limitations of glsl and the such.

canuckle
11-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I would opt GLSL, because it became the standard for OpenGL. I think a knowledge of GLSL would benefit you more in the future.

11-18-2005, 02:01 PM
thanks yes i think so
but im trying out all the options first!
so far havent got much help on gsls on this forums so i wonder if it would be the right choice if i have no support (people willing to help if i get stuck or dont understand something for long)