PDA

View Full Version : Text help..

Nial
03-26-2002, 01:43 AM
Would someone please beable to give me a *nice* simple text display function for openGL!

I don't want to load fonts set bold attributes etc just display text. Take for example printf.. nice and simple

Can anyone give me some example code?

Morglum
03-26-2002, 02:02 AM
Have you looked at Nehe's lesson 25 ( nehe.gamedev.net )
You can't expect something really simpler if you want it to run fast ! If you don't care about speed, then yes, there is an extremely simple way to display text : you can use glut's functionnality ( the func's name's maybe glutBitmapCharacter / glutStrokeCharacter ... search glut.h to make it sure).

Morglum

MrShoe
03-26-2002, 02:23 AM
Code your own maybe? It really isnt very hard. Just an array of display list quads each textured with a letter. All you need is a font texture with all teh ascii characters, break it up into 256 separate parts using an algorithm and bind each to a quad and into a display list. If you want i can give you a nice and easy font class i wrote up, very easy to use... just email me and ill send it to you.

Morglum
03-26-2002, 03:16 AM
MrShoe, I don't need code to display text, but if you had a texture containing letters for a nice font, or a utility to build one from a font, I'd appreciate it very much ! Because the one provided by nehe somewhat sucks. Thanks !

Morglum