PDA

View Full Version : TextureMapping Confusion

fabianspring
08-20-2002, 09:03 AM
Hello there!
I have a little confusion with my texturemapping.

1. When exactly should I use my functions?
(such as glTexCoord2f(...) http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif
2. How does a cube know that I wanna draw him, using a specific texture, after defining a lot? Is there some "choose"-command like with glColor3f(r,g,b) so that the cube knows that?
3. Is is possible (and/or reasonable) to put all those functions, headers, definitions and variables into an external class in a headerfile and just call those functions then? If yes... what exactly would it look like?

Thank you so much,
Fabian

Robbo
08-20-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by fabianspring:
Hello there!
I have a little confusion with my texturemapping.

1. When exactly should I use my functions?
(such as glTexCoord2f(...) http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif
2. How does a cube know that I wanna draw him, using a specific texture, after defining a lot? Is there some "choose"-command like with glColor3f(r,g,b) so that the cube knows that?
3. Is is possible (and/or reasonable) to put all those functions, headers, definitions and variables into an external class in a headerfile and just call those functions then? If yes... what exactly would it look like?

Thank you so much,
Fabian

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz!

I'll try and help some - "after defining a lot" - I assume you mean after loading your texture and binding it - then you `use' the texture by executing something like glBindTexture ( myTextureId ); where myTextureId is the Id you used for glGenTextures when you bound them in the first instance.

If you use display lists, you can **compile** your cube and then execute it like this:

glBindTexture ( myTextureId);
glCallList ( myDisplayListId );

In your display list, you perform the actions you suggested above:

glVertex....
glColor....
glTex....

etc.

**NOW** its important to research and read up on these things. Try NEHE developer tutorials - they take you right from the start and are enormously good.