PDA

View Full Version : Win 2k Minimize Crash

Scott
04-30-2002, 10:21 PM
Here is a problem that has perplexed me. In my OpenGL applications I have a resize member function that calls glViewport. The resize is called when the window is first created without any problem. However, when I minimize the window, the application crashes at the glViewport. This only happens when I minimize before I do any other type of resize. If I resize the window first, minimize works fine. Also, the application does not crash while I'm debuging in Visual C. Anyone have any suggestions?

mikael_aronsson
05-01-2002, 12:20 AM
Hi !

Is it crashing in the glViewport() function ?

Are you using MFC ?, sometimes you get crashes if you don't check for zero values in cx,cy.

Is it possible that this might be the problem ?

I always add code in the resize handler like:

if( cx > 0 && cy > 0)
{
bla bla bla
}

Mikael

Nothing
05-01-2002, 12:20 AM
Sounds like you do not initialize some of your variables properly.

Scott
05-01-2002, 01:40 AM
Iím not using MFC. Minimizing the window does pass zeros to my Resize function, but they are handled. I also check for null pointers but that doesnít seem to be the problem either. The minimize works if I resize the window first. The program does not crash the first time Resize is called at creation. If the second call is for a minimize then it crashes. If the second call is not a minimize then the program run perfectly after that including minimize.

I canít replicate the error in the debugger (which is a mystery in itself), but when I comment out the glViewport line the program works so I believe that is where the crash occurs.

I get the feeling that this is something very obscure. Someone could probably convince me that gamma rays are the problem if they made a good argument.

JML
05-01-2002, 02:23 AM
Why would you call a glViewport when the window minimizes? Usually minimized applications suspend rendering to the minimized window altogether until the window is restored.
YMMV of course.

HTH

Jean-Marc

Scott
05-01-2002, 03:09 AM
My main message loop catches all WM_SIZE messages, which includes minimize.

Iíve just changes my case statement to check what type of resize it is and to only use my Resize function if it is a manual resize. This stops the program from crashing when minimizing after initialization.

Thatís solves my problem, but doesnít satisfy my curiosity. If anyone knows why minimize causes problems before a manual resize of the window but not after; or why the problem doesnít occur in debug, Iíd love to know.

Thanks for your help.

coredump
05-01-2002, 03:28 AM
but can't you specifically catch a minimize message? in your message handler, when the msg is WM_SIZE, check wParam for SIZE_MINIMIZED and do your handling there.

[EDIT]nevermind...you already fixed it

[This message has been edited by coredump (edited 05-01-2002).]

incognito
05-02-2002, 12:15 AM
What about showing us some code ?