PDA

View Full Version : Displaying Japanese text in OpenGL

flare
08-09-2004, 04:34 AM
I'm using wglUseBitmapFonts currently to draw text on my OpenGL window. But this function doesnot work properly for Japanese text. Can anyone please help me in this regard?

How can I show Japanese text in OpenGL. Can I do it with wglUseBitmapFonts efficiently or do I need some other function?

btw. Its a visualization tool so it needs to draw text in real time in interactive mode so it needs to be fast and efficient.

Kilam Malik
08-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Have look at this:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=13

They are using CreateFont. You can use different character sets here, like SHIFTJIS_CHARSET which will be your japanese.

Is the font installed on the users system? If you use only hiragana /katakana character set you could maybe make the bitmaps on your own with a paint program (should be about 40 characters each). But if you need kanji its too many.

Frank.

BGM
09-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Inorder to use the font currently used by the system, we can retrieve the codepage by the following function _getmbcp(). But,in OpenGl CreateFont expects the CharSet (ANSI_CHARSSET,GREEK_CHARSET etc). The codepage for Japanese font is 932 which is different from the SHIFTJIS_CHARSET. Is there a way i can retrieve the current character set of the system?