PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL SuperBible sample programs don't work.

Scarab_Wes
03-07-2001, 11:41 AM
I bought a copy of the SuperBible and was really excited about the prospects, but I'm finding that no matter what computer I attempt to run the code on, new or old, 95 or 98, glsetup driven or not, I get weird errors with all the tutorial programs.

For instance, I can't get any of the textures to show up on the bitmap generator that is demonstrated on the cover. On the terrain maps, I can't get water to show up properly. And one of the terrain maps, 10 I think, gives me a "No OpenGL.dll" error.

I have tried this on my 1Ghz Athlon at home with a Geforce 2 Ultra noticed by glsetup, I have tried this on a 266 P2 with an unidentifiable card at work, and a couple of other random computers that didn't know WHAT to do with some of the stuff.. Has anyone else run into this problem?

JoeMac
03-07-2001, 11:47 AM
Is it 1st or 2nd ed.? I have 2nd edition examples running on a machine very similar to your athlon.
Joe

Scarab_Wes
03-07-2001, 11:48 AM
2nd... it's baffling... some elements work perfectly, some don't.

EricK
03-08-2001, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Scarab_Wes:
I bought a copy of the SuperBible and was really excited about the prospects, but I'm finding that no matter what computer I attempt to run the code on, new or old, 95 or 98, glsetup driven or not, I get weird errors with all the tutorial programs.

For instance, I can't get any of the textures to show up on the bitmap generator that is demonstrated on the cover. On the terrain maps, I can't get water to show up properly. And one of the terrain maps, 10 I think, gives me a "No OpenGL.dll" error.

I have tried this on my 1Ghz Athlon at home with a Geforce 2 Ultra noticed by glsetup, I have tried this on a 266 P2 with an unidentifiable card at work, and a couple of other random computers that didn't know WHAT to do with some of the stuff.. Has anyone else run into this problem?

This might not help (that is you may already know this) but the examples will not run "out of the box". There are some missing bmp files. See: http://www.starstonesoftware.com/OpenGL/errata_2nd_edition.htm

Scarab_Wes
03-19-2001, 01:14 PM
I'm still having issues... has anyone else found that the Chapter 18: Terrain 10 program won't run properly with the land.bmp file provided in the errata. Additionally, the sky ends up looking likes a prism. I'm confused.