PDA

View Full Version : Loading bitmap in C

Andrew Davey
05-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Can someone please tell me how i can load a greyscale bitmap and use it for a heightmap.

Heres what i know:

1. I can either ignore the header or use some of the information, like the width and height of the imgae
2. If its greyscale i dont have to load rgb but can load just the r/g or b.
3. I can use seek to go to different areas of the file

But i dont actually know how to do all this in C, can someone please either show me or point me to somewhere where i can see this working, please. Pref a tutorial or explanation of the code so i can write my own.

Cheers

mikael_aronsson
05-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi !

It depends, are you talking about a grayscale .BMP file or do you a bitmap in the OpenGL sense ?

There are lots of code and libraries to load different image formats into ram, www.wotsit.org (http://www.wotsit.org) has good descriptions of many file formats.

I think the NeHe tutorials has a .BMP loader if that might help to have a look at.

Mikael

05-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Hi, this is the way i load bitmaps using Windows API and OpenGL.

1st step is to put the bmp you wanna load into the resources.

GLuint LoadTexFromMemory(int name) // should be somthing like IDB_BITMAP1
{
HBITMAP bkg;
BITMAP bmp;
GLuint txtnumber;

glGenTextures(1, &txtnumber);

bkg = (HBITMAP)LoadImage(GetModuleHandle(NULL), MAKEINTRESOURCE(name), IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_CREATEDIBSECTION);

if (bkg)
{
GetObject(bkg, sizeof(bmp), &bmp);

glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT,4);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, txtnumber);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTE R,GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTE R,GL_LINEAR); // _MIPMAP_LINEAR
gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 4, bmp.bmWidth, bmp.bmHeight, GL_BGR_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, bmp.bmBits);

DeleteObject(bkg);

return txtnumber;
}
else
txtnumber = 0;

return txtnumber;
}Hope this help.

Steve.