PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL Lighting

01-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Are the glLight* and associated functions hardware accelerated in modern (post Geforce 2) video cards, or would it be better implement my own in-game lighting system using vertex programs or software fallback?

fuxiulian
01-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Transform and lighting is implemented since GeForce256 on Nvidia cards. I don't know about ATI.

magichand
01-11-2004, 08:48 AM
For ATI hardware T&L is for sure supported with anything from a Radeon 7200 and up. The old Rage Cards definitely have no hw t&l and I don't think the original 32 and 64 mb Radeon DDR have solid support.

magichand
01-11-2004, 08:54 AM
What has to be said about the OpenGL lighting functions is that they don't include the concept of obstruction. If you place a quad directly in front of another one and set up a light to face them, both quads will be fully lit. If you're going for realism vertex and/or fragment programs are the state of the art. If you're using static lights don't be afraid to use light mapping just because everybody says it's outdated. A good radiosity algorithm beats any standard hardware T&L any day of the week and twice on Sunday.