PDA

View Full Version : Camera Collision using GL

gnikolakis
02-05-2003, 03:26 AM
I am wondering if opengl can be used to detect camera collisions. My idea is to use GL_SELECT rendering mode and render the scene using different cliping planes to find any objects colliding with the camera. I believe that it can work, but I am affraid it will be time consuming. If anybody has any idea please let me know.

Thank's in advance

kawasakis900
02-05-2003, 04:02 AM
if i understand your question nikolaki you want to check whether your camera collides with something. if i were you i would regard the camera as a point in world-space and do the collision detection for this point. (tell me if i am mistaken). using clip planes isn't the fastest thing to let opengl do.
don't know if i was helpful...

kawasakis900
02-05-2003, 04:06 AM
//not opengl related

also, as i see in your profile you are from greece. (geia sou re patrida...)
i study in ntua electrical engineering.
if you want send me an email just to chat a little bit for graphics...

MickeyMouse
02-05-2003, 04:37 AM
Hi
Using select mode with clipping planes is definitely _BAD_ idea. OpenGL is meant for rendering only! Use standard collisions for this instead.

chxfryer
02-05-2003, 11:26 AM
www.gametutorials.com (http://www.gametutorials.com)
has a tutorial in the opengl section that you need along with tuts on other typs of collision.

cwc36
02-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Hey!
Try the intersection between camera and objects. That is the fastest way!!!

gnikolakis
02-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Thank you for your answers! Unfortunatelly it seems that it's a bad idea using camera clipping planes (not a fast one). Use of point (or sphere) to object collision detection is a more appropriate solution. Thanks again.