PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL and windows NT

Ciphersoftware
03-26-2001, 10:38 AM
I have just written a game using OpenGL and I was wondering the steps I need to take to port it over to the winnt enviroment.

PS. It works fine in Windows 98

outlander78
03-26-2001, 11:17 AM
Did you use GLUT, the Win32 API, or another method (please specify)?

Deiussum
03-26-2001, 11:21 AM
Porting from Win98 to NT should be no problem at all. Things to watch out for..

* Passing NULL SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR pointers works fine in Win98, but sometimes not for NT

* Using DirectX in any way could cause problems if you are targetting for NT 4. Win2k (which is based on NT) should have no problem with this.

Ciphersoftware
03-26-2001, 02:47 PM
Ok, Im not using GLUT; its strictly winAPI. One serious problem that Im encountering with windows 2k/ME is that the keyboard isnt functional. Im using a standard message loop... Im looking for WM_KEYUP's and WM_KEYDOWN's. It works fine in the windows 95/98 enviroment though. It almost appears as if my OpenGL window doesnt have the focus. Has anyone ran into this problem?

03-28-2001, 09:49 AM
You might want to adapt DirectInput for your keyboard input with a game. It is much faster than using message loops, and responds equally as well on win98 or NT.

Originally posted by Ciphersoftware:
Ok, Im not using GLUT; its strictly winAPI. One serious problem that Im encountering with windows 2k/ME is that the keyboard isnt functional. Im using a standard message loop... Im looking for WM_KEYUP's and WM_KEYDOWN's. It works fine in the windows 95/98 enviroment though. It almost appears as if my OpenGL window doesnt have the focus. Has anyone ran into this problem?

JoeMac
03-28-2001, 10:22 AM
GetAsynchKeyState() is faster still, and also works with both.
Joe