PDA

View Full Version : glutInitDisplay problems

yeus
08-17-2003, 05:31 AM
the glutInitDisplay() function actually works without any serious problems, the .c files complile and so on...
But when I use the GLUT_ALPHA option i can not execute my programm. For example. if the executables name is XAMPLE i get an error message like : "couldn't find Programm XAMPLE" and it won't do anything.. but as soon as I recompile the code without the GLUT_ALPHA option and without changing anything else it'll work without any problems...

(I'm programming within a X-Environment, on a Suse8.2 system)

[This message has been edited by yeus (edited 08-17-2003).]

nexusone
08-18-2003, 04:45 AM
Could be your video card mode, what is the desktop color depth set at?

Originally posted by yeus:
the glutInitDisplay() function actually works without any serious problems, the .c files complile and so on...
But when I use the GLUT_ALPHA option i can not execute my programm. For example. if the executables name is XAMPLE i get an error message like : "couldn't find Programm XAMPLE" and it won't do anything.. but as soon as I recompile the code without the GLUT_ALPHA option and without changing anything else it'll work without any problems...

(I'm programming within a X-Environment, on a Suse8.2 system)

[This message has been edited by yeus (edited 08-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 08-18-2003).]

yeus
08-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by nexusone:
Could be your video card mode, what is the desktop color depth set at?

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 08-18-2003).]

roght now it's at 16bit (65535 colors) and 1280*1024, using a Riva TNT2 chip. and i'm running KDE on xserver version 4.3

Jared@ETC
08-19-2003, 05:15 AM
Go up to 32 bit and see if the problem still happens...

yeus
08-20-2003, 05:12 AM
hm...... somehow i'm only able to go up to 24bit don#t know why.. at lesat it still doesnt work doesn't matter how many colors I use

[This message has been edited by yeus (edited 08-20-2003).]

yeus
08-20-2003, 05:23 AM
ohhh.. ok.. it was the desktop resolution.. I just wunder what the glutInitDisplay function has to do with my desktop resolution on my Xserver???

thx for giving me the right clue guys....

Deiussum
08-20-2003, 06:22 AM
If your desktop resolution isn't a color format that supports an alpha channel, you won't be able to get one with glut. 32-bit resolution is RGBA, 8 bits for each channel. 24-bit is just RGB, with 8 bits for each channel. 16 bit uses a few bit schemes, but usually doesn't include an alpha, or has only a single alpha bit.

Anyway, for a lot of things a destination alpha isn't strictly needed. The source alpha can still be used for blending.