PDA

View Full Version : Where Do I start

ZeeBoy
10-22-2000, 08:01 AM
Hi People

Im new to this game, i have spent a semester learning the basics of OpenGL and glut.
im not to good at it. I have don some cool stuff but its quite basic. The books im using are
interactive computer graphics top down approch in opengl by edward angel

i am also using SAM's teach ur self DirectX in 24 hours.

im not to keen on DirectX.

I have both Visual C++ 6.0 and borland C++ bulder 4. running on both win 98 & 2k

so what/are is the best book to buy.
what is the beter compiler
and what is the better OS

Zee

Bob
10-22-2000, 09:26 AM
It shouldn't matter what compiler or OS you use. Haven't tried Borland's compilers, so won't way anything about them. But I have tried both Win98 and Win2k, and personally, I think Win2k is better. It's way more stable and a little bit faster, but requires lots of recourses. I don't recomend Win2k unless you got way more than 64 MB RAM or so, more like 128 MB, to make it go smoothly.

And then you wanted a book. I really recomend OpenGL(r) 1.2 Programming Guide, Third Edition (aka the Red book) and/or OpenGL SuperBible, Second Edition. Two good books.

trickster
10-24-2000, 12:08 AM
why don't you try nehe site. you will find tutorials covering all the basics and mid level in opengl. there is still another book: BLUE BOOK , its like the red book!!!!
but if you go to nehe.gamedev.net you will find what you are looking for, i give you my word.

ZeeBoy
10-24-2000, 12:01 PM
Thanks alot guys.

nehe.gamedev.net site realy kicks ass its brilient i would recomend this site to all viewing this post.

I have just ordered some books at amazon.
Im not to sure what the blue book is but the red one i found and have purchased.
when they arive i will post a review of the 3 books i bought and recomendation

and again thanks for ur input guys

Zee