PDA

View Full Version : Loading a File

Teddy
05-22-2003, 02:27 AM
Hi!

I've got a little problem. Can anybody tell me how I can load a file in opengl through a dialog, so I can choose which file I want to open and don't have to use the absolute path?

Thank you.

nexusone
05-22-2003, 04:10 AM
OpenGL graphics API, handles only graphics.
If you are working in windows you need to look at the windows API(MFC) for how to use a dialog box and file access.

I am guessing you are using C/C++, which also you will need to look at how file I/O functions work in C/C++.

As for path, if a path is not indicated the file will be expected to be in the same directory in which the .exe file is located.

Originally posted by Teddy:
Hi!

I've got a little problem. Can anybody tell me how I can load a file in opengl through a dialog, so I can choose which file I want to open and don't have to use the absolute path?

Thank you.

ppinter1
05-22-2003, 08:06 AM
If you examine Display3DS (http://p-squared.com/Display3DS.zip) you should be able to simply copy and paste the file selection dialog code. Here's a synopsis, but as always, Use The Source, Luke!

// Register event handler in your Window class
afx_msg void OnFileOpen();

// add this to your window's BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP:

ON_COMMAND (ID_FILE_OPEN,OnFileOpen)

// here are some string variables:
CString FileName ("Sample.3DS"); // Filename default
const char FileNameExt[] = "3DS"; // Filename extension
const char FileNameFilter[]= "3D Studio Files|*.3DS|"; // Filename filter for 3D Studio mesh files

// here's a sample OnFileOpen routine:

void CMyAppWindow::OnFileOpen()
{
CFileDialog fileDialog (TRUE,
FileNameExt,
NULL,
OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST,
FileNameFilter);

if (fileDialog.DoModal() == IDOK)
{
FileName = fileDialog.GetPathName();

}
}

Or, just look at the Display3DS.cpp mainline, not the scary 3DS mesh loading code.

Good luck,
/p2

Deiussum
05-22-2003, 09:17 AM
If you want to use the standard "Open File" dialog for Windows w/o MFC, you should look at the Win32 API function called GetOpenFileName().