PDA

View Full Version : c++ texture problem

dan64
12-04-2006, 10:07 AM
in my game, almost all of the textures are skewed and some of them are B/W. The code for loading the textures is fine and the following is the code to draw the objects:

glBegin(GL_POLYGON);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(bounds[d][0][0] * levelscale, top[d], bounds[d][0][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, repeat[d]); glVertex3f(bounds[d][0][0] * levelscale, bottom[d], bounds[d][0][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(repeat[d], repeat[d]); glVertex3f(bounds[d][1][0] * levelscale, bottom[d], bounds[d][0][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(repeat[d], 0.0f); glVertex3f(bounds[d][1][0] * levelscale, top[d], bounds[d][0][1] * levelscale);
glEnd();
glBegin(GL_POLYGON);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(bounds[d][1][0] * levelscale, top[d], bounds[d][1][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, repeat[d]); glVertex3f(bounds[d][1][0] * levelscale, bottom[d], bounds[d][1][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(repeat[d], repeat[d]); glVertex3f(bounds[d][0][0] * levelscale, bottom[d], bounds[d][1][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(repeat[d], 0.0f); glVertex3f(bounds[d][0][0] * levelscale, top[d], bounds[d][1][1] * levelscale);
glEnd();
glBegin(GL_POLYGON);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(bounds[d][0][0] * levelscale, top[d], bounds[d][0][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, repeat[d]); glVertex3f(bounds[d][0][0] * levelscale, bottom[d], bounds[d][0][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(repeat[d], repeat[d]); glVertex3f(bounds[d][0][0] * levelscale, bottom[d], bounds[d][1][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(repeat[d], 0.0f); glVertex3f(bounds[d][0][0] * levelscale, top[d], bounds[d][1][1] * levelscale);
glEnd();
glBegin(GL_POLYGON);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(bounds[d][1][0] * levelscale, top[d], bounds[d][1][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, repeat[d]); glVertex3f(bounds[d][1][0] * levelscale, bottom[d], bounds[d][1][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(repeat[d], repeat[d]); glVertex3f(bounds[d][1][0] * levelscale, bottom[d], bounds[d][0][1] * levelscale);
glTexCoord2f(repeat[d], 0.0f); glVertex3f(bounds[d][1][0] * levelscale, top[d], bounds[d][0][1] * levelscale);
glEnd();

repeat[] is an integer

k_szczech
12-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Try using glintercept (http://glintercept.nutty.org/) - it will make a text file with all values that you passed to glTexCoord2f and glVertex3f. Really nice tool - just copy OpenGL32.dll to your game folder and take a look into gliConfig.ini.
If you want to run without glIntercept you can just rename that OpenGL32.dll file to something else until you need it again.

RigidBody
12-04-2006, 10:54 AM
is it possible that the textures have a width/height which is not dividable by 8?

Mars_999
12-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Why are you using GL_POLYGON? Looks like to me you are making GL_QUADS... IIRC GL_POLYGON is slower than GL_QUADS but don't quote me on that. And are you using mipmapping?

Relic
12-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Skewed and miscolored textures are normally a sign for wrong glPixelStore(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, ...) settings.
If you have GL_RGB the default unpack alignment of 4 won't work for texures which are not a multiple of 4 in size (e.g. mipmaps 2x2 and 1x1 and non-power-of-two textures). Use an alignment of 1 if the data is tightly packed.
Greyscale instead of colored textures could also point to a mismatch in color channel layouts or complete format mismatch.
I would say your texture loading code is not ok.

How big is repeat[d]? If you scale the texture too much you will only get a bunch of aliased texel noise.

The code above looks awfully slow. As said by Mars you can group them into one GL_QUADS primitive and don't copy paste so much, use some local variables to calculate the parameters you use multiple times.

dan64
12-05-2006, 08:45 AM
cool my textures were mis-sized and making them good was hot! tyvm