PDA

View Full Version : Device Context

AndrewJJ
06-22-2002, 11:13 AM
I've noticed that if I terminate my OpenGL application by aborting it from the task manager - or if it crashes ... :-( then I find that the next time an OpenGL program is run, the drawing canvas context seems a little odd ... and results in overwriting any other active window ... I've checked and double checked my context assignments and they look alright and certainly if my program terminates correctly then I don't experience this problem ... so the destructor code to release my assigned DCs is OK.

Am I missing something in my initialization or is this effect to be expected after failure to release and delete assigned contexts ?

Many thanks

Andrew

06-24-2002, 12:20 AM
Perhaps does it depends on the Windows version but I think that the effect is to be expected. A typical problem when developing a program that crashes is that the video memory for textures is not returned making the program runs slower and slower.

AndrewJJ
06-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Hi Zico,
Thanks for your response ... I'd kind of concluded that this was the case but it's just that I needed some reassurance that this effect might have been due to some slight oversight. Yes ... dead right about those textures ... does get slower and slower if they're not released ... is there any way to reset the card in any way ?

Thanks

Andrew

06-24-2002, 07:35 PM
The only way I know of is to restart Windows...