PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL Text Output

02-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Is there a simple call that creates 3D text on a OpenGL surface? Or one that creates a polygon rep of the text to display so that it could be textured?

Thanks....

shinpaughp
02-12-2003, 09:45 PM
It depends on your platform. Windows has wglUseFontOutlines which may or may not be exactly what you are looking for. There appears to be a cross platform library called GLTT (true type) along with other font info on various platforms which can be found here (http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/fontsurvey/index.html?wglusefontoutlines#first_hit)

02-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the pointer. The O/S that I am programming in is primarly Linux. However, thus far, I have been able to stay pretty portable to Windows. I will pour over the link info that you have provided.

Thanks.

Obli
02-18-2003, 12:04 PM
I have made a class which renders text using GL. It actually does not print text on a surface but "creates it". Probably it's not what you're searching for, but maybe it is.

Some features are missing but it works ok, I used it really often and I feel it works. The only problem is generating the font itself (you need to create a descriptor for each font) - the font are not loaded from the os.

I can mail it to you if you are interested.