PDA

View Full Version : Any Irix coders out there?

RobertSI
09-27-2001, 08:15 AM
Just picked up an low-end O2 for OpenGL 'C'
programming. Any advice on what compilers are available out there? Any freeware or shareware compilers available? Anyone know what the Mips C compiler costs?

Rob The Bloke
09-27-2001, 08:36 AM
should have gcc with Irix, Thats all you need. The stl stuff is well good on irix.

Chances are its only ogl 1.0 or at a push 1.1. o2's are very cack at memory allocations and file access (i mean really really bad). Once you got your data to draw they usually can handle a lot of rendering passes without too much hassle, but their processors are quite bad. Look through the irix documentation for a high res frame counter as well, the time.h stuff is appalling and only updates randomly every few minutes.....

I guess most people use nedit for their text editor, if you're really brave you can use VI, but people who use that are *wrong* (in the head that is).

Oh yeah, gluNurbs runs stupidly quickly on O2's, but I'm glad I dont have to use one anymore http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/redface.gif)

Satanic Dogus
09-27-2001, 01:06 PM
Boy....am I glad to meet you guys!
I've been struggling with Irix for the last month.....I've olny used VC++ with mfc before, and now I don't even have GLUT..I'm going crazy doing window management! So, guys.....help me.....how the hell do you write a make file?
Thanks!!!!!!

Gavin
09-28-2001, 03:36 AM
whats your email?

Rob The Bloke
09-28-2001, 03:51 AM
# flags needed for compiling OpenGL
GL_FLAGS= ../libglut.a -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXext -lX11 -lm

# set a macro to represents all objects
OBJECTS= main.o TextureLoader.o

# set pseudo target that stands for your entire project
Target: executable

# link the objects in-order to create the executable
executable : $(OBJECTS)
CC -ansi -o executable ${OBJECTS} ${GL_FLAGS}

# ceate object files one by one
main.o : main.cpp
CC -ansi -c -o main.o main.cpp

TextureLoader.o : TextureLoader.cpp TextureLoader.h
CC -ansi -c -o TextureLoader.o TextureLoader.cpp

clean :
rm *.o executable

A lame example of getting a glut app off the ground. Notice that libglut.a is not the default one....

Satanic Dogus
09-28-2001, 12:30 PM
THANKS!!!!!!
you can mail me anytime at satanicdogus@yahoo.com
if I'm not using glut.....what's the best window managment procedure.....glx?

john
09-29-2001, 01:56 AM
Howdy,

two points;

the cc compiler on IRIX is supposedly better than gcc. Don't ask me to qualify this statement, because I can't. I've just heard it, somewhere. <insert some bliter about the SGI guys 1) knowing how to write a compiler, and 2) knowing how to target it for their architecture>

and, secondly; glx is the X windows extension to OpenGL, but you can get wrappers for it (like GLUT and SDL).

oh, and be patient with IRIX. *some* people get chronically narked about its idosyncarcies. but, its cool.

cheers,
John

marcus256
09-30-2001, 09:58 PM
Since there are obviously some Irix people out there: is there anyone willing to test compile a GLX framework source code for Irix? I want to A) know the necessary compiler directives (link libraries etc) for Irix, and B) test a full screen hack that I have written for Irix using the XSGIvc extension (comes with Irix 6.4 and later I think)

/Marcus