PDA

View Full Version : Other API's to complement OpenGL for games?

Ishan
04-14-2001, 07:12 PM
OK, here's the deal. I am an aspiring game developer, working on a 2d game engine in my spare time. I have a data-driven 2d directx engine that has some pretty basic functionality....I have a (scaleable) character that can move from screen to screen. However, I want some of the more advanced graphics doodads that require a 3d api, such as transparency. Being able to map a texture onto a 3d surface and rotate it really makes special effects much easier. Anyways, here is my question. I want to replace the functionality of my 2d rpg game engine with opengl. Is this a good idea, and is it feasable? Is it possible to use opengl for all of the graphics in the game? i.e. no directdraw / direct3d at all? How would I handle sound, input, multiplayer, etc? Essentially, is it a good idea to do my graphics with opengl and use directsound and input for everything else? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

04-14-2001, 07:45 PM
SDL for basic application and input.
OpenAL or FMOD for sound.

Warrior
04-14-2001, 07:52 PM
it is very much possible. you should give it a go. you can still use direct input and directsound, but use OpenGL for graphics.