PDA

View Full Version : Window resize

10-11-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi,

I have a glut program which uses random numbers and everytime I resize the window the numbers are recalculated. How do I stop this? I believe it has something to do with the reshape function, but I'm not sure what.

Thanks.

dvm
10-11-2004, 07:59 AM
I don't think this is an OpenGL question but anyway,
I think if I understood correctly, you are producing random number which you would like them to be the same every time your program runs right? I also suppose that you are using C. You should search the help files or google on rand() and srand(). If I remember right srand takes a seed (pseudo-random) so if you give it the same seed every time you will get the same "random" numbers every time. Hope I helped :)

10-11-2004, 08:14 AM
No, quite the opposite.

My OpenGL program runs in a window. Every time it runs I want the random numbers to be random. BUT, if I resize the windows whilst the program is running, I don't want the numbers to change. Not Unless I say so, anyway. I would, however, like the scene to stay the same but stretch or shrink in the necessary dimensions.

At the moment, my entire scene changes, butI don't want that.

10-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Thanks for your help, though.

dvm
10-12-2004, 04:36 AM
No trouble, this is what these forums are for. Anyway I think then that maybe you call srand within a reshape (or resize) or display (or render) function? srand should be called only once (say within an initialization function) and then call rand whenever you want a random number. Did I get it this time :) ?

yilez
10-14-2004, 04:28 AM
Erm, not sure..

But I fixed it by assigning time(NULL) to an int and calling srand(t); every time I call myDisplay(). Works a treat now.

Thanks for your help!! :D

Dol AI with 3D Bone system
10-14-2004, 05:08 AM
You can use random size of window in WM_CREATE command such as
WM_CREATE:
begin
X := 0;
Y := 0;
Width := Random(1024-1);
Height := Random(768-1);
end;
WM_RESIZE:
begin
MyReshape(X, Y, Width, Height);
end;

the Width and Height is process in one scene only.