PDA

View Full Version : tiles quality

MarsuGL
07-16-2001, 11:08 PM
hello,

i've just read a cool tut about tiling wich was saying that common size for tiles is 16*16 or 32*32.

can it be usefull to have bigger tiles ?
can it be a gain in quality ?

2nd questions,

is mip mapping, the only way to have a good texture quality when you're very close to a wall ?

Marsu-mapped

07-17-2001, 03:19 AM
Yes, of course can bigger textures give better quality. (?)
Even if you are using mipmapping do you probably get better results if you also are applying a detail texture.

harsman
07-17-2001, 03:40 AM
Mip mapping won't give you better detail when _closer_, it will reduce crawling when you're far away. And if you use bigger tiles, you can have fewer tiles, which means that you'll have less variation so it might look a bit more repetetive. 16 pixels is probably on the small side though, that's what I used when I used to do stuff on my amiga in 340x256 resoloution.

MarsuGL
07-17-2001, 03:59 AM
tanks for replying,
ok for mipmap, it's to reduce nasty visual effects when you 're going far from the texture.

so, what is a good size to use now for tiles, with the great ram capacity that we have ?

and what is a detail texture ? maybe you mean
a wood texture or a metal texture, depending of what is textured, to look natural.

currently, i use 64*64 tiles , no lightning, no mipmap, and when i'm close to the wall, it's blurred.

i have played to unreal T this week and the textures looked very beautifull even from very close.

i have forget to mention that i use bmp textures, i'm not sure of the number of colors, but it may be in 16 bits if i remenber well, is it enought ?

[This message has been edited by MarsuGL (edited 07-17-2001).]

harsman
07-17-2001, 04:49 AM
I thought you were talking about 2d tiles, not the size of textures. You can safely use 256x256 textures on just about all hardware, and if you've got a newer card you can go much higher. Unreal uses detail mapping, i.e. it modulates the texture by a second detail texture when you're close to add high frequency detail.

MarsuGL
07-17-2001, 06:33 AM
ok, i'm sorry,
i was talking about tile instead of texture size.

what do mean "all by hardware "?

i will try 256*256 wich is the best that my 3dfx3 can handle.

marsu

07-18-2001, 12:19 PM
Here will you find a introduction to detail textures. http://reality.sgi.com/blythe/sig99/advanced99/notes/node88.html

This is another thing that you can do with multitexturing.

MarsuGL
07-18-2001, 12:30 PM
tank you,
it's usefull.

Marsu