PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL & Direct3d gone

Vektor
06-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Alright. intel, p4, 2.2gHz, 1g ram, GeForce4 ti 4200 128m vid-card, WinXP
Everything's been fine for almost a year now. Load-up 3d studio max the other day. Shortly there-after, computer crashes. HARD. Automatically resets the entire machine kinda hard...
I changed nothing. It was literally like 1 day it worked, the next, it didn't.
I have tried absolutely everything I can possibly think of, including, but not limited to, the following:
* scanned the entire computer for viruses using an up-to-date Norton
* tried installing each of the following nVidia GeForce drivers:
44.03 - the latest
40.72 - the latest WHQL-certified
28.84 - the latest driver certified by discreet for use with 3d studio max without the 5.1 up-grade & DirectX9
* opened-up the computer, cleaned it out, took out the video-card, & plugged it back in, ensuring it's in place
* updated DirectX drivers to DirectX9
* updated WinXP
* tried installing both the most recent, & the most recent WHQL-certified drivers for my monitor
* lowered the graphics acceleration (even though this was never a problem for me before...) step-by-step until it disables Direct3d completely

I can run the machine with the graphics acceleration turned-down to the point of disabling Direct3d entirely, but, obviously, I'm losing-out on a lot of performance. Especially where the likes of 3d studio max is concerned, where I can no longer use OpenGL either, & I'm forced to use the software driver.

Every time I run the Direct3d test, the box with the MicroSoft logo shows up, but it either doesn't spin at all, or it spins a couple times, then stops completely. The test always fails, no matter what I have the graphic acceleration set to, & sometimes it ends with the hard, `reset-crash'.

Like I mentioned, I've tried everything I could think of. Any help would certainly be appreciated. Thanx.

06-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Hey,
I have teh same problem...xp, geforce2 gts, everything works fine except direct 3d. dxdiag reports no errors, but during direct3d test in dxdiag get hard crash.
Is there a way to update direct3d only?
pls email at abenner5@yahoo.com if any ideas...thanks!

06-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Say Vektor, have you considered a hardware failure?

I was having all kinds of problems with my computer... replaced the motherboard and VIOLA! all the problems stopped.

I just hope for you that it is your motherboard and not the video card. MOBOs are so freakin' cheap now but video cards are outrageously expensive.

06-16-2003, 07:16 PM
I'm having the same problem with my GeForce FX 5200, but I can't run the demos on the driver/util disk either. I get a visual C++ "abnormal program termination" error.

I'm running a Biostar M7VIT Pro motherboard which I suspect might be the problem cause I couldn't even POST with an ATI All-in-Wonder 8500DV. What motherboards are you guys running?

Thanks

06-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Hmmmm , i am having same problem with G4 4200 Ti ...... installed DX9 and direct draw test of DxDiag works fine but the Direct 3D test returns a HRESULT error .... 0x80004005 ... to be exact ...

of course long searching of microsofts knowledge base gives no clues as to what this nmight be ....

06-30-2003, 07:55 AM
I have a problem with my DxDiag...i got a intel 2.4, 512 ram, geforce 4 mx 420 64 meg card...and well, has anyone encountered black and white not working with XP...well ive done all this stuff to get it to work an it said go into Start > Run > DxDiag > Display then disable Direct3D...well i did that, but now my problem is i cant turn it back on so any other games that require Direct3d wont work anymore, ive installed all the new drivers DirectX 9.0a and nvida drivers 44.03...i dunno what to do really, and i need it fixed!

cody

07-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Hello all,

I started to have same error after installing Directx 9 and new drivers for Gforce 2 Mx 440, I dont know what is happening to have the same error you all are having with Direct3d, but doesnt seem a hardware failure. I formatted my machine, reinstalled all, then got the newest nvidia drivers and directx 7, result: failed, directx 8.1: failed, directx 9: failed.

This just start to happen when I updated my nvidia drivers I will get the original driver from CD-ROM today and roll back to test it, and if it works I will post here again. But I want you all to roll back your VGA drivers...

If you want to contact me plz: yerrath@terra.com.br

gamma151
07-04-2003, 06:16 AM
does anyone see a trend here, is it just me or are all these problems experienced on NVIDIA cards?

07-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Hello all again, I ust got home, formatted my machine again, and used old nvidia files, Detonator 28.32 and directx 8.1 and also upgraded for 9.0, and 9.0a, and all off them worked fine with old nvidia drivers, then... I installed 44.03 and all messed up again...

Can anyone else try to roll back card drivers and test it to confirm?
If any of you need the oldest drivers I can host in a webserver, so email me: yerrath@terra.com.br.

PS: sorry bout my english, cause english is not my native language.

TrippingMonkey
07-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Glad to see I'm not alone http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif Having the same problem here guys with a G4 Ti4400 on Win 98. Direct 3D does NOT work with the newest drivers. I fixed this by simply reinstalling the last driver pack (43.45), and works just fine with Direct X 9.0a. It's something in the newest driver pack causing the problems. I may attempt to upgrade to Win XP soon and will post back here if it fixes the problem.

07-06-2003, 11:09 AM
I was having this same problem...then I got riva tuner and UNDERclocked my video card (geforce4 Ti4200)...solved my dxdiag and freezes...of course I spent all that money on a video card and have to udnerclock it to make it work right

07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
After 2 days hard work... i resolved this problem. Reinstall WinXp with 40.72_winxp_whql and all is OK.
----------------
Supermicro X5DAE
2x Xeon 2.8
WinXp SP1
DirectX 9.0a
Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL

07-06-2003, 06:39 PM
WOW! I cant believe so many people have the same problem!
Im on a nVidia Geforce 2 gts here. It worked perfectly fine with win98. But after using XP and Dx 9.0a, this error occurred. When I do dxdiag d3d tests, its like it goes smooth then jerks. The 3d tests dont even run properly. Sound, music tests work fine.

Oh and also, I have a Radeon 9700 Pro on my other machine. I still haven't installed XP because I fear I may run into this problem again http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif. Can anyone clarify that for me?

Also, im currently downloading the 43.45 drivers. So im hoping this will do the trick.

07-18-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Yerrath:
Hello all again, I ust got home, formatted my machine again, and used old nvidia files, Detonator 28.32 and directx 8.1 and also upgraded for 9.0, and 9.0a, and all off them worked fine with old nvidia drivers, then... I installed 44.03 and all messed up again...

Can anyone else try to roll back card drivers and test it to confirm?
If any of you need the oldest drivers I can host in a webserver, so email me: yerrath@terra.com.br.

PS: sorry bout my english, cause english is not my native language.

My english is Not good.
Hello all. You are in right. My Os is Win2000
with service pack 4.My vga is a Geforce2 Mx and drivers Nv 29.42 whql.Directx 8.1.Processor AMD XP 1600+ with 640MB sdram.

Need for speed High stakes does NOT load with
detonator 40.72 whql and with the above yes.
ˇVaya tela!

09-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Newest drivers still not working WTF!

Anyone got any success on this theme?

09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
I heard that you need to install DX9 1st then newest driver... I will tyr this weekend.

09-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Problem solved :
install the 43.45 driver .
this is the only driver which fixes the problem.

10-09-2003, 07:06 PM
I'm on a Geforce 2 MX/MX 400, and all downloadable drivers will make my dxdiag test on Direct3D freeze. I use the default WINXP drivers, and it passes the test. Problem is, I'm trying to play a game that uses DirectX9, and it freezes, and reboots my computer. Tried another game, same thing.

I am unable to find a fix. Anyone with a card like mine play any Direct3D-DirectX9 games on WINXP? It's really frustrating... I need help. Can't afford another card right now.

10-12-2003, 02:00 PM
mine is having the same problem! Every time I run somethig that uses 3d, a weird error message that says my direct3d isnt working properly. I also ran dxdiag, but I failed all direct3d tests. Anyone got any ideas?
My email is pinky2k@bellsouth.net.
Thanks!

specs: GeForce 4 mx 440, win 98se, Amd Athlon processor, 512 RAM

10-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Gefroce4 Ti 4200
WXP
Directx 9.0

Same problem as everyone else. One other thing though; did anyone notice that after the new DX9 install, there are garbage pixels around the mouse pointer on the screen?

10-14-2003, 11:41 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA all of what you guys said doesn't work for me! oh wait that's bad for me! Darn! I just want to play my medal of honor pacific assult

10-17-2003, 10:05 PM
2 years of troubles w/Nvidia Ge here; crashed the machine the first time I played a 3D demo. Am I/are we missing something here? How about a class action suit.....

10-18-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by warhog73:
2 years of troubles w/Nvidia Ge here; crashed the machine the first time I played a 3D demo. Am I/are we missing something here? How about a class action suit.....

Er.... Uh.... I'm thinking its mostly just you...

10-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Hey im having problems with directx/direct3d. I run dxdiag and it freezes on me. I restart and it says there was a problem with direct3d and wheter or not i want to bypass it. If i choose no it just freezes on me again. If i choose yes i just go passed it. Ive tried a bunch of things and im desperate for help.

Nvidia GeForce fx5200
AMD Duron 1.0 ghz
256 ram
Windows XP with SP 1

The Duke
10-21-2003, 05:43 AM
I on ****ing GF FX5600 with XP profesional and doing the same problem. ****ing MicXP iu guess

Vaya The Duke!!

10-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by j0j0:
Hey im having problems with directx/direct3d. I run dxdiag and it freezes on me. I restart and it says there was a problem with direct3d and wheter or not i want to bypass it. If i choose no it just freezes on me again. If i choose yes i just go passed it. Ive tried a bunch of things and im desperate for help.

Nvidia GeForce fx5200
AMD Duron 1.0 ghz
256 ram
Windows XP with SP 1

I have the Same problem that you have with the directx/direct3d using Nvidia GeForce fx5200, it took me a lot of hard work but finally i solve it on Oct 21, 2003 +-12:30 am.

I change the voltage from 1.5v(default) to 1.6v changin the jumper settings on the mother board. I also change one setting in the Bios - frequency/voltage control,the AGP skew Adjust was set to disabled and I changed to 300ps. And then finally problem SOLVED!!! anything works including direct3d

I hope I can help.

----------
My System:

AMD 1800+ (1.5GHZ)
512 DDR Ram
GeForce 5200 128MB DDR
Soltek 75drv4
VIA VT8233A
Win XP Pro
Directx 9.0b

10-21-2003, 09:31 PM
If does not work Try 1.7V

----------
My System:

AMD 1800+ (1.5GHZ)
512 DDR Ram
GeForce 5200 128MB DDR
Soltek 75drv4
VIA VT8233A
Win XP Pro
Directx 9.0b

[/B][/QUOTE]

10-21-2003, 09:32 PM

10-21-2003, 10:52 PM
what is going on with openGL, mohaa seems to have the most trouble with it, and ever since i loaded mohaa on, the system went bonkers. apparantly my ti4200 video card disabled itself, and openGL with it. can someone please help me?

10-22-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by MegaPR:

I have the Same problem that you have with the directx/direct3d using Nvidia GeForce fx5200, it took me a lot of hard work but finally i solve it on Oct 21, 2003 +-12:30 am.

I change the voltage from 1.5v(default) to 1.6v changin the jumper settings on the mother board. I also change one setting in the Bios - frequency/voltage control,the AGP skew Adjust was set to disabled and I changed to 300ps. And then finally problem SOLVED!!! anything works including direct3d

I hope I can help.

----------
My System:

AMD 1800+ (1.5GHZ)
512 DDR Ram
GeForce 5200 128MB DDR
Soltek 75drv4
VIA VT8233A
Win XP Pro
Directx 9.0b

Now that is some scary advice... use at your own risk folks. Don't come crying on here when you fry your video card/motherboard.

10-22-2003, 05:55 AM
This may not apply to you guys, but I fixed my problem, which was pretty much the same as a lot of you guys. I had to replace my video card all together. I put the video card in another computer, and guess what? Same DirectX9 lockups on a totally different operating system/motherboard. So unless I'm missing some vital drivers on my Nvidia Geforce 2 MX/MX (and trust me, I tried almost all the drivers) -- My card has some kind of memory leak or fault probably when purchased, which is stressed out on Directx9's Direct3D.

I recommend anyone to test this problem on another computer if they have one available, you'll probably have to replace your card if you have the same results as me.

10-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Rob3038:
I'm on a Geforce 2 MX/MX 400, and all downloadable drivers will make my dxdiag test on Direct3D freeze. I use the default WINXP drivers, and it passes the test. Problem is, I'm trying to play a game that uses DirectX9, and it freezes, and reboots my computer. Tried another game, same thing.

I am unable to find a fix. Anyone with a card like mine play any Direct3D-DirectX9 games on WINXP? It's really frustrating... I need help. Can't afford another card right now.

use the original drivers that came with the card and open gl should work fine windows xp drivers are not going to give your games the full effect of 3d properties

10-22-2003, 08:41 PM
ok guys heres what has happended to my video card:::: disabled itself, and deleted all drivers and openGL with it. i read somewhere that by reinstalling the whole video card, you can sucessfully fix the problem. im going to try it, and if it works, i'll tell you

10-24-2003, 02:01 PM
re-installind doesn't help. I have a Radeon 7200 32mb and can;t do anything with direct 3d. I use windows me and I've re-installed the card new driver, old drivrs and even semi old drivers all to no avail. Dell shipped me out a new graphics card to fix the prob, but nope still not working. dxdiag tests fine except wen it hits 3d locks up the whole system. When I try to play tactical ops the whole computer freezes witha black screen. It used to work before I re-did my whole hard drive now it doesn't!!
email me if anyone finds a fix:
rock1013@yahoo.com
-james

10-27-2003, 02:53 AM
I installed Halo, it worked (great game). The install involved updating to DX9.0. So all was OK after this. I applied XP SP1 a couple of days later and Direct3D now DOES NOT WORK. Arghh!

zerocool
11-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Casey:
mine is having the same problem! Every time I run somethig that uses 3d, a weird error message that says my direct3d isnt working properly. I also ran dxdiag, but I failed all direct3d tests. Anyone got any ideas?
My email is pinky2k@bellsouth.net.
Thanks!

specs: GeForce 4 mx 440, win 98se, Amd Athlon processor, 512 RAM

Anil123
11-05-2003, 05:33 AM
install Windows XP and u'r problem will be solved.

11-12-2003, 09:36 AM
so there is no hope, right?
I have a Geforce TI 4200, 128 Mb, Pentium III 1Ghz, 256 Mb RAM.
Since almost one month I have weird vertical lines before Windows Me loads. The games played well (Wolf. Enemy Terrirory) but since one week almost nothing is happening. I can see DivX by reducing acceleration in Media Player at minimum.
I tried eveything possible, formating, virus scan, new drivers, old drivers, cleaning the fans, lowering the frequency of my screen etc...

11-12-2003, 09:39 AM
just to make things clearer, the game is not loading except onnce a day (?!!) and dxdiag crashes when I do the Direct Draw test.

11-17-2003, 12:07 AM
I have the same problem as everyone else... Direct3d works about once every third time I boot the machine (Windows XP, Nvidia, DirectX 9.0b).
Every time Direct3d would fail, I would do something to try and correct it, re-install DirectX, re-install my graphic card drivers etc, thinking I was fixing it.
I've just realised (after about 20 reboots) that it makes no difference what I do, I wasn't fixing anything the thing just works sporadically, can anyone else confirm this?

11-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Ok everyone... I have found the source of this problem... for me anyway.
Norton Personal Firewall. Uninstalled it and Direct3D is fine.
It is possible that it is not always Norton, maybe its the amount of services I was running when I log on, I have read other people disabling terminal services, uninstalling Netmmeting and so on and DirectX working. Thje source of the problem always seems to be a runniing service, and Norton starts a sh**load when it starts. I will try putting Norton back in (I need a firewall) and disabling other things maybe, if anyone else can try this I'd appreciate it.

11-27-2003, 08:57 PM
OK DAMMIT.. Geforce GTS.. I really think somehtign is horribly worng with this.. as we all know and all hear from teh same reply.. I have a problem.. BLA BLA Video card isnt working.. why not.. It works for CS but not for SWG..(Counterstrike, Starwars galaxies). will somone please post a solution not ne more problems.. I COULD CARE LESS BOUT PROBLEMS>.. Someone give me feedback on this please.. And i really do believe its a memory thign.. I think i just destroyed my card its horrible...

11-29-2003, 02:09 PM
Nope, we r all stuffed, nvidia doesn't care about how the chips work after thev'e sold them, just about profits - they don't even have and email adress on their site for crying out loud! I've looked on forums with 36+ pages and their is no solution that works for everybody. Let's face it obviously all Nvidia Geforce cards are crap.

Next time i want to spend my hard earned cash, i know it'll be spent on a card from a company that gives a damn about it's customers.

Not a very good marketing scheme eh, Nvidia, crap goods and crap customer support!
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/mad.gif Nvidia

12-03-2003, 11:20 AM
I too am having the same problems you all seem to be having.. I just got a FX5200 and the system crashes everytime I try to watch a video clip or play a game that uses the directx9b display drivers. My old Annihilator Pro video card worked perfectly before and after I switched cards between it and the FX card. I've even gone as far as doing a format/clean install but still it locks up.

Hopefully Microsoft and/or Nvidia will release a patch soon (yeah right). http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif

12-05-2003, 03:13 AM
nvidia does have a email

info@nvidia.com

RedBuL
12-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Hope this helps... http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/biggrin.gif
For those of you who are installing a new video card, first make sure that your motherboard can handle it and it's seated properly!
If your motherboard has an AGP slot...use it!
A friend of mine bought a new graphics card for his pc, installed it in a PCI slot and wondered why he was having prob.'s with Direct3d, shading, pixels, etc.
I informed him to take it back to the store and purchase one that'll fit into his AGP slot. After walking him through this easy task, his pc nows accepts the new graphics card.

Next: (use this option only if your pc doesnt have the "plug n play" feature)

When your pc boots up, hold down the DEL key to go into your BIOS. Under advanced options, set your AGP to AUTO mode or if your graphics card is AGP 8X, highlight this option, then SAVE ALL to accept changes and exit. Then Re-boot your pc in normal mode.
After Windows appears, Try to un-install the old video drivers that were previously on your pc OR just insert the CD that came with your new video card and let it install the new drivers for your card. Then UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE... your Drivers! (For example)
If you purchased an nVidia graphics card,but the video card says it's an eVGA card with the nVidia engine, get the new drivers from nVidia's website, NOT from eVGA's website. These smaller companies don't always update the appropriate drivers for their products on time.
Re-boot if needed!
Again, when Windows starts up...
In Control Panel, go to Appearance and Themes; then under Display, go to Settings and Set your Color Quality to Highest (32bit),click on to Advanced.. make sure to check the box: Apply the new dislpay settings without restarting and hit OK.
Click Advanced again, under Adapter,double check see if your new video card is showing;
click Troubleshoot... make sure your Hardware Accelerator is set to FULL, too.
It also can't hurt to update the drivers for your monitor, too.
When buying a new video game...READ the side of the box and make sure first hand that your computer and video card meets the Requirements needed to play that game!
I wouldn't mess with the voltages that were preset to work with your motherboard, unless you were some sort of computer guru.
And if you were a pc guru, you probably wouldn't need to look up an explanation on this Forum, on how to get your video card to work with that Hot new game you just bought.
Hope this helps...!

RedBuL
12-09-2003, 08:41 AM
For those of you who are installing a new video card, first make sure that your motherboard can handle it and it's seated properly!
A friend of mine bought a new graphics card for his pc, installed it in a PCI slot and wondered why he was having prob.'s with Direct3d, shading, pixels, etc.
I informed him to take it back to the store and purchase one that'll fit into his AGP slot. After walking him through this easy task, his pc nows accepts the new graphics card.

When your pc boots up, hold down the DEL key to go into your BIOS. Under advanced options, set your AGP to AUTO mode or if your graphics card is AGP 8X, highlight this option, then SAVE ALL to accept changes and exit. Then Re-boot your pc in normal mode.
After Windows appears, Try to un-install the old video drivers that were previously on your pc OR just insert the CD that came with your new video card and let it install the new drivers for your card. Then UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE... your Drivers! (For example)
If you purchased an nVidia graphics card,but the video card says it's an eVGA card with the nVidia engine, get the new drivers from nVidia's website, NOT from eVGA's website. These smaller companies don't always update the appropriate drivers for their products on time.
Re-boot if needed!
In Control Panel, go to Appearance and Themes; then under Display, go to Settings and Set your Color Quality to Highest (32bit),click on to Advanced.. make sure to check the box: Apply the new dislpay settings without restarting and hit OK.
Click Advanced again, under Adapter,double check see if your new video card is showing;
When buying a new video game...READ the side of the box and make sure first hand that your computer and video card meets the Requirements needed to play that game!
I wouldn't mess with the voltages that were preset to work with your motherboard, unless you were some sort of computer guru.
And if you were a pc guru, you probably wouldn't need to look up an explanation on this Forum, on how to get your video card to work with that Hot new game you just bought.
Hope this helps...!

RedBuL
12-09-2003, 08:43 AM

Re-boot if needed!
Hope this helps...!

12-09-2003, 08:45 AM
All the help on here is wrong. I had Halo working before, and even tho I got an error message about my video card, it would let me play. I even had the updated drivers, because the error message told me I needed them, so I got them. Still worked. Then, after I changed a bad memory stick, the old "error initializing config.ini, please reboot.." thing, rinse and repeat, now i get the message you all get, but it won't let me play. I tried going forward and backward in drivers and directxwith no luck, rinse and repeat, you know? I've used this system for over a year with only the one problem with the memory, and now that I'd just got that fixed...and everything else works, in fact even better, this one thing don't work.

I would really appreciate any other possible suggestions from you all.
Thanks

Amd Athlon 1100 mhz
nvidia g2 64 mb
256 Ram
Win 98

12-31-2003, 11:29 PM
Chaps ITS NORTON INTERNET SECURITY OR ANTI VIRUS OR SYSTEM WORKS, take it off and all will work.

**** product!!!!

I have just built P4 3.2 w/ Creative 9800 xt, had screen flickers, 3d benchmark software would not run, dxdiag direct 3d did not run (said I had pressed a key)

Took off any Norton products re booted twice, 1st time blank win xp screen, all works fine now.

Good luck