PDA

View Full Version : Open GL for Windows XP

Patrick212
02-12-2003, 07:43 PM
I have a Compaq Presario laptop with Win XP, Trident Cyberblade i1 card, 312 MB Ram, 600 MHz Celeron, and I'm trying to play Wolfenstein and MOHAA. When I had the same OpenGL subsystem error on my Desktop (Win 98, 400 MHz, 312 MB Ram, Matrox G200 card) I downloaded OpenGL Setup and updated the driver; this fixed everything. However, OpenGL doesn't have a Win XP patch, and I updated my card's driver. I have tried everything! I couldn't find the DMA on win.ini, I tried deleting the gl files in the sytem32 folder, I tried updating the card with Nvidia stuff, didn't work. I need help!!! Anybody?!?! I just wanna play my games!

Stack Overflow
02-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Hello Patrick212,

What exactly are the problems you are having?

- VC6-OGL

Patrick212
02-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Once I install MOHAA or Wolfenstein, it will begin to load up and then the famous "Could not load OpenGL subsystem" error pops up.

Kev50
02-17-2003, 10:28 PM
I am having the exact same problem. Patrick, how do I dl the setup and update the driver? I really need to know because this is pissing me off alot. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

02-24-2003, 08:56 AM
guys, you're not alone... I've the same problem... I also tried everything... I even went to www.compaq.com (http://www.compaq.com) which then took me to the hp website. There you can "chat" with someone of compaq, and she said that my pc isn't made in the USA... So what?!? It's totally the same machine. The files on driverguide doesn't work at all and everywhere you can find files for 98 Me 2000, but almost never for XP. The ones you do find doesn't support openGL. So pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase, if anyone did find the good drivers for XP, please tell me! snake20@hotmail.com Many thanks! ( and when will compaq itself update it's drivers?)

Bracholi
02-24-2003, 12:23 PM
OK. If you have XP you cant use OpenGL.
You do have 2 alternatives. http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/enterprise/gld_home.html . This is the website for a program that allows Direct3D to run OpenGL programs. I hope that does not count as an advertisement.
You can also try to go through a simple to computer geeks, hard for the average Joe, process of installing a dual-boot operating system. In other words having Windows XP and Windows 98. You need 98 to run OpenGL.
If you have enough Hard drive space and a copy of 98 I recommend this.

If you dont have the cd but have money to spend I reccomend going and buying the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. It is a great (but expensive) 3d accelerator card. You could also wait to buy the Geforce FX but I am not sure if the developers of OpenGL will be ready to release OpenGL for Windows XP yet.
Ati has already made sure that its 3d accelerator cards are OpenGL compatible. Dont worry, until I researched this problem even I a 15 year old computer geek did not realize the problem.
In the meantime you might want to spread the word that the Devs of OpenGL are in fact working on the issue. They do in fact get paid by SGI to do so. If they don't find a way to make OpenGL XP compatible soon Direct3d might be the future of gaming again. As for power I would say that the OpenGL is better. But they are also underfunded and understaffed. Good luck to them, and to all of you gamers that took the time to read this.

Thanks,
Brach Janney

03-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Ok guys, I had the same problem as anyone else, I remember someone saying to use the driver that came with the video card. I can't agree more. All those things about refreshing, tweaking, changing things here and there, hey it might work, but give this a shot, it'll asy that it might mess up some stuff bc XP wasn't thoroughly tested for openGl, but it works. Good luck

03-04-2003, 04:47 AM
Hi,
I just purchased a baseunit with xp pro installed (no cdrom disc tho). I tried to load up MOA AA game and it said that opengl problem like above.
Since I tried loading, (and it not working) I re-installed my Trident video, and now after I put a cdrom in the drive and installing any cdrom, the screen goes to the BIOS type look and says:
Disc (or CDRom I forgot) failure
Boot from disc

I then have to switch off the PC and restart to get xp back.

Any ideas what I can do to at least get the cdrom drive working properly again?

Thanks,
Simon

03-04-2003, 09:53 AM
Hi, I use XP and I tried the SGI implementation of opengl with my radeon 7000 card, which I used the ICD drivers off of the ATI website, and it worked fine.
Good luck.

03-04-2003, 09:37 PM
i got a Geforce2 DDR and i tried the SciTech fix and it looked like it was about to work unitll i got a new error "Can't find suitable PixelFormat" any suggestions anyone?

03-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Is my savior out there? I also have the same bugs when playing MOHAA. When its booting up, it says,"Could not load opengl subsystem." It also says missing glide installation. I tried everything-from nvidia to opengl drivers but none worked. Pls. don't tell me I just wasted over a hundred grand on a video card that doesn't work! My God! I really can't understand why WINDOWS XP and OPENGL have so much bugs.

03-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Opengl, MOHAA, Windows XP-need help...incompatibility.
e-mail: virgofenix@yahoo.com

03-07-2003, 12:04 PM
your not alone. I have the same problem

03-07-2003, 04:24 PM
I am having a similar problem. I recently upgraded to a radeon 9500 pro. Now all my open gl games(which worked fine with my old gefroce 4 mx load up, play fine for a minute, then suffer what can only be described as a total graphics faliure. I have tried everything but have not been able to fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

kadir
03-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Patrick212:
I have a Compaq Presario laptop with Win XP, Trident Cyberblade i1 card, 312 MB Ram, 600 MHz Celeron, and I'm trying to play Wolfenstein and MOHAA. When I had the same OpenGL subsystem error on my Desktop (Win 98, 400 MHz, 312 MB Ram, Matrox G200 card) I downloaded OpenGL Setup and updated the driver; this fixed everything. However, OpenGL doesn't have a Win XP patch, and I updated my card's driver. I have tried everything! I couldn't find the DMA on win.ini, I tried deleting the gl files in the sytem32 folder, I tried updating the card with Nvidia stuff, didn't work. I need help!!! Anybody?!?! I just wanna play my games!

kadir
03-08-2003, 12:34 AM

03-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Hi, I have the same problem as anyone here,
I have the OpenGL patch, Kadir, but I do not know WHERE I PUT IT !!??!?

good luck to me and to all, and..

**** YOU ****ING OPENGL, **** YOU

03-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Hey, Ive been trying to find the XP version of OpenGL and did a little research.From what i understand XP already has a version of the GL Setup and we shouldnt have to load it.When i start up soldier of fortune a window pops up and says "Non valid GLSetup rendering Environment"Ive downloaded GLSetup with the description that says they support XP but it only supports 95 and windows 98.Does this file really exist or is it just really hard to find?If any one figures out this problem please post how to fix it.

micah
03-13-2003, 11:34 PM
RTCW open GL problems solved. If you have a leadtek 64mb Ti ddr Nvidia use the original driver on the CD. I can E-mail others if they want it. Dont know that it will work for other Ti.

03-15-2003, 08:04 AM
the same prob here i hate it ,all those good games i could play befor don't work on XP http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif
the odd thing is that a friend of mine has a compaq with XP professinal just like me and all thos good games work with him
i do know a lot of stuff from PC but when i installed openGl on XP under WIN98 compabillity i couldn't open my configurations anymore please help me with those games

04-22-2003, 02:46 AM
I have the very same problem with the OpenGl support in win xp. My Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200 seemed to work with MOHAA, Jedi Knight 2 and other OpenGl games. I tried to update my video drivers with the Nvidia Detonators and these games stoped working showing that there is no OpenGl support. After istalling the original drivers from the cd the problem was still there... Help!!!!!!!!!
Contact me at perculin@hotmail.com

04-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi, I have been having problems with opengl games in windows xp and the *only* solution after many tries has been to download Nvidia driver 41.07 from http://www.msi.com.tw. This got MDK2 to work again and it got Neverwinter Nights to run. In NN, however, the config utility says it can't find an opengl driver. Anyway I hope this helps people who have had no luck with anything else.

Note on installing driver for those who need detailed instructions:

This driver is unlike the regular nvidia drivers which have their own install program.

The way I installed it was to:
First run the 4107xp.exe and specify a folder to extract to (there are a lot of files so it would be good to extract it to a new folder)

1. uninstall the current nvidia drivers on your system (and then reboot as it will ask you to)
2. When winxp boots up it installs it's own geforce4 4400 driver
3. Go to controlpanel->system
4. click on the hardware tab
5. click on the device manager button
6. double click on "display-adaptors"
7. right click on the driver that shows up
8. choose "update driver"
9. choose "install from a specific location" then hit next
10. choose "don't search..." hit next
11. click on have disk
12. browse to where you extracted your driver
13. double click on the .inf file that shows up

hopefully your new driver installed smoothly and your computer now works like mine did.

I heard this suggestion about this msi driver from another forum and the fact that it uses "update driver" to install instead of using nvidia's install program may have something to do with why it works. I had attempted to fix the problems by uninstalling and reinstallg nvidia's drivers but what would happen was microsoft's geforce4 driver would get installed and then i had to install the nvidia driver over that. So maybe the fact that the driver is getting installed over microsofts instead of over a clean slate prevents the problem from being fixed.

-Matt

05-04-2003, 12:57 PM
I use server 2003 and cant play any games Such as Settlers 5 Comes up with Software rendering message i need drivers to support this can any one help

05-04-2003, 03:39 PM
I have XP, and Open GL runs fine on my computer, I dont know why you guys have such trouble. I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I formatted my HDD, then installed windows 98, then updated to XP professional, and it worked fine. The only other solution i can think of is to screw either XP or Open GL.

-Dullsmile

05-05-2003, 03:24 AM
well theres noi problem with my system...Geforce 4mx 440 and Xp didnt install the OpenGl thingy and it worked...check your system32 folder does it have the file opengl32.dll?

GAME MASTER
05-05-2003, 04:58 PM
My friend had the same error message for Mohaa. Trying for weeks doing the various things that were mentioned through out this forum..getting sick and tired of all this crap i just installed a game called Command and Conquer Renegade...so after i got bored of that I decided to give mohaa a go again and guess WHAT!.....It worked perfectly!!!!...I'm guessing that renegade put in a new Open GL which fixed the blasted flawed cheap @$$ed XP crap @$$ed one. So if you got the money buy Command & Conquer: Renegade..it is a Westwood product so maybe if you got any westwood games try installing those and then play your game that gives your that FRICKEN god damn message...(forgot what It wast....)But whatever it said for mohaa and wolfstein...( XP...WHAT A $HITTY OS!!!). So I hope this helps you and anyone else with this god forsaken problem...this solution may or may not work.

GAME MASTER
05-05-2003, 05:09 PM

My friend had the same error message for Mohaa. Trying for weeks doing the various things that were mentioned through out this forum..getting sick and tired of all this crap i just installed a game called Command and Conquer Renegade...so after i got bored of that I decided to give mohaa a go again and guess WHAT!.....It worked perfectly!!!!...I'm guessing that renegade put in a new Open GL which fixed the blasted flawed cheap @$$ed XP crap @$$ed one. So if you got the money buy Command & Conquer: Renegade..it is a Westwood product so maybe if you got any westwood games try installing those and then play your game that gives your that FRICKEN god damn message...(forgot what It wast....)But whatever it said for mohaa and wolfstein...( XP...WHAT A $HITTY OS!!!). So I hope this helps you and anyone else with this god forsaken problem...this solution may or may not work.

05-05-2003, 07:24 PM
okay...like everyone else here, i cant get my freakin opengl mode to work for counter-strike. im runnin on an ATI Rage 128 GL AGP with win xp...ive tried getting updates, opengl installs off this site, but nothing seems to work. anyone got any ideas or anything that could help me with this situation?
p.s. i can run d3d but not opengl...if thats any help http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/confused.gif

05-15-2003, 05:36 AM
I have had this problem for ages (ie 'could not open gl subsystem' etc). Ive managed to sort it though. It appears that XP somehow overwrites the driver if you've got an ATI Rage graphics card, so what you have to do is go to the ATI drivers website and download the one for Windows XP.
It seems to have worked - I can play Medal of Honour and Spearhead again now!

MasterTang
05-22-2003, 05:22 PM
I found a fix for ATI 128 pro. Go to the ATI website, click on find a driver link, then under Windows XP click the Rage 128 Pro (6-60) Reference Driver. All you have to do is install it and it should work. I hope this helps.

Alessio
05-23-2003, 01:38 PM

yashiro008
05-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by VC6-OGL:
Hello Patrick212,

I have a problem with Windows XP when compile my program in Builder c++ and message appears me access restricted, my ask is what I have to make. The libraries are installed correctly.

- VC6-OGL

05-28-2003, 09:34 PM
okay well ive had this problem too, and i think someone already said what im about to, but oh well, ill say it anyway. if you install xp over yer old operating system or over a formatted disk, and yer opengl wont work, just go to the graphic card creator's website and download their latest drivers. im pretty sure theyll have one for xp. its what i did. for both my pcs. and they both work. medal of honor allied assault works perfect on them. oh and by the way, dont think i have a souped up computer and thats why the game works on my pc, cuz well, i dont have a superpc. i only have a 600mhz, 32mb graphic card from intel, and 384mb ram. well okay the ram is pretty high but the rest arent. so yeah hope this helps.

05-31-2003, 03:36 AM
Microsoft couldnt find there arse with both hands, for how much it costs u really should expect em to test it thorouly, i just cant get any of my decent games to work, the only thing i got that aint opengl is money island.....

05-31-2003, 06:34 AM
If you havn't already fixed this all you have to do is rename the opengl32.dll in the MOHAA folder to something else eg opengl32.old. It should now work.

05-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Hi. I have a Geforce 2, and win xp, i never had any probs with any of my games, but i got the same erorr (could not load opengl subsystem) as you guys with Star Treck Voyager Elite force 1. I only get this in the Holomach game. Can any one help me?

06-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Hey all,

I have windows Xp on my desktop machine and I have never had any problems running OpenGL based apps or games. My desktop is running PIII 900Mhz 384MB Ram, and a 64MB Nvidia Geforce4 AGP MX 420. My laptop on the other hand has problems. XP does come imbeded with OpenGl but its a really crappy driver, not the same as a downloaded copy for 95 or 98. My Laptop is a P4 2.6Ghz 512mb
Ram with a shared 64MB ATI Mobility, in theory i should be able to run anything on my market. So until the GL Devlopers make a patch for XP were all SOL, im going to try the GlDriect as mentioned in a earlier post and see how that works. Best of luck to all of you!

dorbie
06-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Search the archives this question keeps coming up and has been answered a few times. You CAN use OpenGL on XP, and you don't need a D3D wrapper (someone's giving really bad advice). Most people have OpenGL running great on XP.

06-24-2003, 03:16 PM
i have a compaq prsario lap to[p but it has a mobility radoen it worksd like a charm!!

06-24-2003, 03:17 PM
i have been told by activision that my old rage furry pro xpert 2000 chip would not run theeses games so im upgrading to a radeon 7000 or 8000 or 8500 i think.

06-24-2003, 03:19 PM
try updating to a better video chip ( i recommend a radeon 7000 or higher

Originally posted by romsman:
the same prob here i hate it ,all those good games i could play befor don't work on XP http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif
the odd thing is that a friend of mine has a compaq with XP professinal just like me and all thos good games work with him
i do know a lot of stuff from PC but when i installed openGl on XP under WIN98 compabillity i couldn't open my configurations anymore please help me with those games

warman2442
07-28-2003, 11:24 AM
i have OpenAL32.dll should i change

STRIKE
07-29-2003, 01:56 PM
I have a voodoo 3 3000 and i tried to run star wars II jedia knight outcast, how ever i keep getting an opengl subsystem error, can someone please help as i find it really annoying, also it had an opengl problem on my 98 as well.

yomama
07-30-2003, 01:52 PM
If it will help any, after reading many comments here, I decided to look at the previous opengl version. I downloaded older version of Nvidia drivers version 29.82 because that had opengl version 1.3 and it replaced the opengl 1.4. I have Alice when that didn't work then I knew you guys were on the right track. She has never failed me. Anyway, that replced opgengl 1.4 with 1.3 and it works fine adn so does MOHA. Hope this helps. I am smiling -- many thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction. Now I may install the newers drivers but not with OPENGL on it. On the Nvidia website, it will tell you what is contained in the driver file. Phew glad I got that fixed.

Originally posted by Agamemnon:
Hey all,

I have windows Xp on my desktop machine and I have never had any problems running OpenGL based apps or games. My desktop is running PIII 900Mhz 384MB Ram, and a 64MB Nvidia Geforce4 AGP MX 420. My laptop on the other hand has problems. XP does come imbeded with OpenGl but its a really crappy driver, not the same as a downloaded copy for 95 or 98. My Laptop is a P4 2.6Ghz 512mb
Ram with a shared 64MB ATI Mobility, in theory i should be able to run anything on my market. So until the GL Devlopers make a patch for XP were all SOL, im going to try the GlDriect as mentioned in a earlier post and see how that works. Best of luck to all of you!

yomama
07-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Oh I forgot to tell you. My computer is XP1800, 1024 memory, MX440 video, Hercules Games Surround XL and load of space on disk. I knew requirements were not the issue. Operating system XP. OpenGL 1.4 not XP is the issue. It is the OPENGL version 1.4 doesn't work. It is included in the newest "certified" drivers for NVidia 44.03. Drivers were fine but the OPENGL was not. I also have DirectX9.0b installed. Sure hope this helps. This is the only thing I knew should work is to replace the version of opengl because I knew my games worked before. I used System restore and that was crap. Don't bother with that.

08-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Have any of you tried running the "Program Compatability Wizard" in the accessories menu? This may or may not work for you, but it will allow you to run certain programs as if they were in an earlier version of Windows.

08-03-2003, 11:23 AM
where is the excat url where i can get that version...i cant find it on nvidia.com

yomama
08-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Here is the link for the 29.42 version -- read the description where it says OpenGL 1.3.(1?) to have your current OpenGL replaced. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

08-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Ty...im d/l it right now...if it works ill love you forever...lol...there are many games i cant play right now...i.e. THPS3...4X4Evo2...and Ralli Sport Challenge... im bummed!

08-05-2003, 05:23 AM
ummm... i didnt get the folder...i only got the setup application...dont i need the .ini file to update the driver?

yomama
08-05-2003, 12:07 PM
No you do not need anything but the setup. Just follow the instructions and it will install itself along with the OpenGL 1.3

yomama
08-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Okay I have since updated teh agp controller on my via chip motherboard. I may have already had it but I did find out:
I installed 4403 with the gl 1.4 version and it didn't work as usual but I went back to 4345 and they didn't work either (gl 1.4 still installed) but I have now settled with 4109 version with gl 1.4. It works fine - games work just like with driver 29.42. I think I will leave it as is for now. Thought I would let you know when I installed newer drivers. SEems GL 1.4 doesn't work with 4403 and they are not certified for MX 440 just for FX which is misleading. Help this helps further. I would work from the 29.42 drivers first and work your way up and see what happens. I found that the gl 1.4 version installed and I decided to leave it to see if it were the video drivers or open gl. Video it seems with 4403.

08-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Medal of honour crashes when the loading bar for the level appears.

This is what Ive tried.

1.Installing Older drivers with Opengl 1.3
(Didnt Work)
2.Uninstalled Drivers, Used Detonator R.I.P to completely remove drivers from my system. Installed the Drivers With opengl 1.3 in them.
(Didnt Work)
2. Did the above with all the drivers in the nvidia xp drivers archive.
(Didnt work)
3.Downloaded New OpenGL.dll & .lib, Overwrote the ones on my system.
(Didnt work)
4.Uninstalled and reinstalled MOHAA and did all the above each time. Tedious & Boring.
(Didnt Work)
5.Tried an nVidia refresh rate fix.
(Didnt work)
6.Tried GLW Glide driver.
(Didnt work)
7.Installed DirectX 9b, 9a, 8.1, 8 >
(Didnt work)
----------------------
Please for the love of god can somebody help me with this. I am a beaten man. I give up. I dont know why its not working. The worst thing is that it used to but I cant for the life of me remeber what changed.
Somebody must be having this problem. I cant be the only one.

Again....
MOHAA crashes when the loading bar for the level appears. No error messages or blue screens just straight back to the desktop.

yomama
08-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Grenade, what is your system stats. Video card may not be able to do the graphics. You have lowered the require in the control and video section of MOHAA right. I guess also MOHAA asks you to start in safe mode? Right. Sorry the OPENGL 1.3 didn't work. I installed it not the latest driver but kept going until it worked. I just wanted to know if NVidia e-mail held any merit. Basically it didn't. But all of my other programs that require opengl. I have a Nvidia Geforce MX440. As you can see the system requirements of my computer too in an earlier post. Give your hardware and system description. Okay. Darn I thought I had the answer to our woes. I have to say i tried Battlefield 1942 but it says my sound card (Gamesurround XL) has issues. I can go online with it and play but that is about it. Single player won't work. Any ideas how to force my soundcard to work. I can't believe the list of sound cards that have issues with it.

08-10-2003, 02:59 PM
My systems stats

MSI KT400 ULTRA - VIA Chipset
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
512 DDR 33mhz Ram
GForce Titanium 4200
Soundblaster Live

Windows XP Pro

08-10-2003, 07:15 PM
man i have the same problem and god damit i so wanted to pay star trek elite force 2 but sincei have a pentium 2 and it needs pintium 3 i won't work. fk man but my sister alos has an xp and when i dl the demo it worked so i guess it's the processer. but fk man glsetup sucks

if anyone that works for glsetup i have a few words for u ppl.

U ALL ARE FKING DUMBASS MOTHER ****ERS!!!!!!! come on glsetup from glsetup.com only supports 95 and 98 helllllo!!!!! who the fk uses those systems now!!!!! xp is the newest computer and god damit it has been out for a few yers now!!!!! and u ppl still did not update those motherfkin ****. come on it's the year 2003 and u ppl are still stuck in the 90s damit!! get with the program 98 and 95 are out xp and maybe ME is in so u ppl would think to update that kind of stuff!! i hope u ppl feel offended /c that is my intention. and i don't give a damn if i fking cursed at u ppl for i'm going to post here only once!!!!! u know how many good games u have ruined for me b/c that dumb **** is only for 98 and 95 come on u ppl still did not evne make a setup thing for window 2000!!! u want to know something when i bought that star trek game i was so happy that i got the game but thanks to u idiots i had to return it b/c u guys don't have the patch for xp!!! i ended up with fking store credit who the fk wants store creds i owuld rather have my money back. and u ppl that works for opengl or whatever u all suck!!!!!

08-11-2003, 07:42 AM
K i had same problem with medal of honour when it ould not read video card when I installed xp. O downloaded new drivers from nvidia for xp and it worked fine. (Make sure b4 u install new driver that old one is unitsalled and old folder is deleted!!!)

08-15-2003, 03:49 AM
Installed "Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory" yesterday and got the problem with opengl *sigh*.

-------
...(ok so far)
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...(still ok)
...hardware acceleration found
...PIXELFORMAT 7 selected
...creating GL context: failed
...failed hard
Q_strncpyz: NULL src
-----

I've installed several detonator driver in the past. Both the "good" way by removing the old drivers and the "bad" way (just run the install). (well this isnt prob bad anymore since they develop good installers now days)
I currently use the driver released only a few days ago and i've tried to install it both ways.

I checked my opengl32.dll and it seems that i still have a driver from microsoft. (file version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
(have nvidias nvoglnt.dll ver:1.4 but this one isnt used by opengl32.dll... i think. If i rename the driver and restart the game its the same err msg)

I will try with the old nvidia driver later on. But the questions is:
Is it the right ver of opengl32.dll? Should it have been replaced?
If opengl32 doesnt use nvoglnt.dll i cant see how this will work even if i install the older ver.

System:
Graphic Card: GeForce4 TI4600

08-20-2003, 03:27 PM
OK yomama...i had the worm so i just got back on the net... im d/l 4109 right now b/c i deleted 2902 (right #'s?...o well). Umm lets see i have

*XP home ed.
*128mb FX 5200 (PCI) (<--make a diff.??)
*Intel Celeron/III? Tower says celeron Dx says III
Dx 9.0b
*I Explorer 6 {activision said it would help (darn liers/lyers?)} lol
*Gateway ev700 plug and play monitor
does that one matter? lol

4109 better work or ill snap none of my games work

P.S. For some reason my games/open gl/direct 3d would work spontaneously but now it aint working anymore...whats with that...only work some of the time??? its very weird

08-20-2003, 11:11 PM
Hey all. Okay, i have xp and it works fine for me.

To all of you's who are having problems please read :-

When you bought your video card it should of come with a cd. Install the drivers on that cd, that will setup the gl for your video card. If u got a video card what game with your computer then a cd should of come with your computer for the drivers.

Another problem could be that you dont have a video card. My old computer didnt have one so i could play games with open GL. Most of you probably dont know it, and your computer doesnt have a video card. Or the video card doesnt have open gl. If you have any more questions email me anime_lite@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

08-21-2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Meteora102:
OK yomama...i had the worm so i just got back on the net... im d/l 4109 right now b/c i deleted 2902 (right #'s?...o well). Umm lets see i have

*XP home ed.
*128mb FX 5200 (PCI) (<--make a diff.??)
*Intel Celeron/III? Tower says celeron Dx says III
Dx 9.0b
*I Explorer 6 {activision said it would help (darn liers/lyers?)} lol
*Gateway ev700 plug and play monitor
does that one matter? lol

4109 better work or ill snap none of my games work

P.S. For some reason my games/open gl/direct 3d would work spontaneously but now it aint working anymore...whats with that...only work some of the time??? its very weird

You have an Nvidia 5200. You MUST use Nvidia driver versions 43.45, 44.03, or 45.23.

I suggest 44.03 personally.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

thunder_mann
08-21-2003, 06:41 AM

08-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Ive used all those but ill try 4403 again...can anyone explain the p.s. part of my previous message?

08-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Yes, I tried the "program compatibility wizard" in accessories menu, and yes glsetup.exe worked! http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif
but then it gave an error like glmatch.dll cannot be found, its damn http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif but it works, try i say try!

08-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Meteora102:
Ive used all those but ill try 4403 again...can anyone explain the p.s. part of my previous message?

Could be a heat/power problem or a failure in a subsystem (like your video card or motherboard). It could also be something like spyware, a virus, or some hardware/software conflict.

08-25-2003, 05:16 PM
...now all you guys here are using the latest directx...right?...

anyuways...just remembered fixing a problem like this with just installing the latest version of DX...so good luck to ya

benito
08-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Once I install MOHAA or Wolfenstein, it will begin to load up and then the famous "Could not load OpenGL subsystem" error pops up.

benito
08-26-2003, 07:34 AM

08-26-2003, 08:18 PM
I have the same exact problems, i used to run ME, and i could run CS in open GL mode, ever since i loaded xp on, i couldn't, so i found this while surfing around
www.driverguide.com (http://www.driverguide.com)
It has all the drivers you need, just know what Video card you use and search for drivers, it works, i just ran CS in open GL again
Oh, you need to resgister to download though, but ill give you account and password

Account: driver
Password: all
this should work if it asks for it

08-27-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Guest Helper:
I have the same exact problems, i used to run ME, and i could run CS in open GL mode, ever since i loaded xp on, i couldn't, so i found this while surfing around
www.driverguide.com (http://www.driverguide.com)
It has all the drivers you need, just know what Video card you use and search for drivers, it works, i just ran CS in open GL again
Oh, you need to resgister to download though, but ill give you account and password

Account: driver
Password: all
this should work if it asks for it

Yeah, well the funny thing about that is that you can get the drivers for your card much easier and more reliabily from the MANUFACTERERS WEBSITE!
www.ati.com (http://www.ati.com) www.nvidia.com (http://www.nvidia.com)

08-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Uh:
Yeah, well the funny thing about that is that you can get the drivers for your card much easier and more reliabily from the MANUFACTERERS WEBSITE!
www.ati.com (http://www.ati.com) www.nvidia.com (http://www.nvidia.com)

Well, not all of us has same manufacturer, infact i tried to get drivers from those site and didn't work for my "outdated" computer. Trust me, those aren't any better unless you have their product, not all of us has products that offers drivers cause either outdated or not available.

08-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Didnt u guys see what i posted o_O;

08-28-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Sirus:
Didnt u guys see what i posted o_O;

Yes, but I ignored you because well.... don't take this the wrong way... you don't know what you're talking about. :-)

Well, not all of us has same manufacturer, infact i tried to get drivers from those site and didn't work for my "outdated" computer. Trust me, those aren't any better unless you have their product, not all of us has products that offers drivers cause either outdated or not available.

I agree taht a few manufacterers have gone out of business and no longer readily provide drivers, but shouldn't that be a clue that you'll have many many problems getting said driver to work in a modern computing environment?

09-18-2003, 01:52 PM
I have Win XP home .This sucs'' Star Trek Voyager Elite force ) the first oneÖ single player starts, but multiplayer saysÉ Could not load opengl subsystem. When i downloaded opengl for win98 it said it had an error instaling it. Please help US.

09-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by OpenGl hater:
I have Win XP home .This sucs'' Star Trek Voyager Elite force ) the first oneÖ single player starts, but multiplayer saysÉ Could not load opengl subsystem. When i downloaded opengl for win98 it said it had an error instaling it. Please help US.

What video card are you using? Are you using the latest driver for said card?

yomama
09-21-2003, 04:49 AM
Hi. I thought I would up date you. I finally settled on version 29.42 Nvidia. I tried to keep opengl 1.4 and use a newer driver and I got funky graphics here and there. Though I was able to play Alice with the gl 1.4 and newer drivers but the other games wouldn't after awhile. Wasn't worth it. I still have opengl 1.3 and it works pretty!!! I have since bought Spearhead and Wolftenstein. They all work wonderful. Still bugs me that the issue of the version change of gl didn't work for you.

Also, I noticed no one mentioned checking to see TYPE of card you have. If it is integrated graphics card -- betcha it won't work. I know that was an issue with No One Lives Forever 2. It has to use the hardware features and not by software which is what an integrated card is.

If it were a power supply issue? It would be dropping back to the desktop or restarting. If you have a NVidia card, the site now recommends you have a 200watt p.s. They didn't before.

09-25-2003, 06:33 AM
Quake 3 wansn't working, but all my D3D games ran fine. I figured it must be openGL, so i dl'd the "openGL95.exe" from http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/info/1/W95/EN-US/Opengl95.exe, which extracts the dll's and librarys to a folder, i copied all the crap it spit out into my "program files\quake III\" folder as well as "quake III\pb\dll\" and quake 3 ran perfectly.

i hope this helps

09-27-2003, 06:43 AM
Hi! I have GeForce II MX400 32 MB & Win XP. When i try to run MOHAA it appears in the console: "Tried to read from a zip file gfx/2d/backtile.tga that was not open" WTF is that?
roclord@interia.pl

09-30-2003, 07:03 AM
Yaya I have Xp pro ..radeon9500pro and open gl runs but not at quality it should,,sure mohaa etc runs..but before ya claim it runs "fine" try all yer programs..I run mohaa easily but "The blender" is now only displaying 16 bit textures, down from 32. major bummer "OPENGL MAKERS<<UM HAVE YOU READ THIS FORUM!? SEE A PROBLEM?HOW BOUT PRO HELP SO WE DON"T ALL HAVE TO SPECULATE..SHEESH ..cuz it's huuge and absolutely everywhere I've seen roughly 2000 web pages pertaining to it, and it's bumming out ppl who paid thousands to have fun using your stuff (that doesn't work right)and one worse there's no quick cure,(that's easily findable)and now all the fun time is being spent searching for an answer that isn't even close to clear.Hell i put in like 40 hours of my life into solving this thing that should (and did) work..how bout a patch?

09-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Ok im getting closer,still no cigar tho heh. I have opengl32.dll (v5.1.2600.1106) I took and put an older version(v4.0.1379.1) of that in "The Blender" folder..it started and Finally finally had 32bit color..but crashed shortly there after..so I tried removing open gl from sys folder and replacing w/old v..then I checked version..it had reverted back to the deleted version of the.dll hmm..wonder why..sys folder memorizes?

10-02-2003, 09:30 AM
Check the following XP-monitor settings..:

Advanced settings
Performance
Use bus mastering (must be on)

Worked flawlessly even for my sluggish Matrox G450 card.

10-04-2003, 06:46 PM
I'm having problems with opengl in winXP.
When I initially formatted and had windows installed opengl worked perfectly.
But after a while opengl would not work anymore for some strange reason I have not figured out yet. I have tried reinstalling windows over again and the same problem occurs after a while. It's really pissing me off that it works and then doesnt work when i havent changed any drivers whatsoever.
I'm using detonator 45.23 with a geforce 3 ti 200. Maybe i'll try going back a version with the drivers but it just doesn' make any sense to me.
Anyone have any ideas about this problem. Could it be a virus or something.

10-06-2003, 03:35 AM
well i've fixed the problem after many hours of frustration. It wasn't even a driver problem in the end.
For those of you who have matlab 6.5 installed then opengl will cease to work. If you kill it in the task bar then games or anything using opengl will work again. I really don't know why this is the case but it friggin got me out for at least sometime. Well now that its working i might go and complain to bloody matlab about their damn software which caused me hours of grief.
Hope this helps some of you people out their.

10-08-2003, 07:37 AM
I've been searching thru web for solution for this freakin' opengl problem and f*** it. There's as many solutions as ppl who has this problem. It seems that this problem is very random and it's drivingg me NUTSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cristobal
10-08-2003, 04:19 PM
i had the same problem, did all u guy did, re-install drivers and game (wolfestain and ET)and settings, etc...

the probles was the f..king matlab and its server.... it works....

Athlon XP2000, XP pro, ti4200.

10-12-2003, 08:24 AM
hello, im new to this. though im getting the same problem as you lot, though i aint using metlab. im also get open gl problems recently and didnt before. in playing counter strike the game will not support open gl. it will work in software more only after i disable my card drivers (Geforce 5200 128mb) but once i enable the drivers again it wont work. it goes into the game and wont load. just crashes. i have been fiddling with this loads. and realy getting on my tits now. i have reinstalled windows xp pro. it works when drivers are not installed, only in software mode. but then with drivers messes up again. PLEASE HELP!!! it would be very very very much appreciated!! many thanks in advance for whatever feedback you can give me.

10-12-2003, 08:27 AM
forgot, please e-mail me if you have a serious helping tip to jedi_trader86@hotmail.com all feedback will be appreciated, i will check this forum everynow and then. thanks

10-17-2003, 03:29 PM
**** u bitch u can go to hell and suck my dick u ****ing bastard. and i have six more words for u:
**** U
**** U
**** U

10-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by dean:
**** u bitch u can go to hell and suck my d!ck u ****ing bastard. and i have six more words for u:
**** U
**** U
**** U

Since when is the letter 'U' considered a word? Not to mention '****'.

Someone needs to learn English and not to play silly games.

10-19-2003, 11:52 PM
i tryed the scitechsoft site mentioned way back and it installed perfectly now though i get a different mesage syaing something like opengl subsystem found but could not initialize can anyone help me please oh god please this is driving me insane.

10-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by YoMama:
No you do not need anything but the setup. Just follow the instructions and it will install itself along with the OpenGL 1.3

11-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by tran:
well i've fixed the problem after many hours of frustration. It wasn't even a driver problem in the end.
For those of you who have matlab 6.5 installed then opengl will cease to work. If you kill it in the task bar then games or anything using opengl will work again. I really don't know why this is the case but it friggin got me out for at least sometime. Well now that its working i might go and complain to bloody matlab about their damn software which caused me hours of grief.
God! How did you figure out!!! I've been looking allover the place, I'd never think that was the problem! Thanks a lot!

11-03-2003, 04:58 AM
yar man i also have this problem. i play counterstrike and requires open gl but since my graphics card does not support open gl i went to ati.com for the latest upgrade. however when i install the upgrade they say that it is not compatible with my current driver even though the website indicate that it works with my driver.. so anyone can help me??

11-03-2003, 11:10 AM
i thought i had to update the drivers also but i found that i didnt need to run cs and all its graphics i think my graphics card is a 128 rage pro. The resolution size should be 800x600 and the settings should be under default. Im not an expert and if anyone wishes to reply then please but i found that it does work but my ping spikes sometimes so that may be as a result of the card but i dont think so.

11-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Why dont we all send emails ot openGL i have if we complain enough they wont leave us out in the rain

11-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Hey Tran THANK YOU!! u just found the prob that has buggerd me ever since CS came out...( OpenGL mode doesnt work )which also f***d me up with MOHAA & Call of Duty.. And afterall these yrs, its my dear MatLab that has been causin me these trouble. So yeh anyone out there who has MatLab, close it in the Task Manager when u play games!

P.S im on WinXP with GForce4 MX 440

11-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Wow, thx for the matlab thing, I really wasnt suspecting it and tried everything else http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif. Now it all works perfectly. Thx !

D
11-11-2003, 04:00 AM

psycholog1c
11-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Thank you tran, I'll have someone raise you a statue, and I hope you have a fanclub, cuz I want to join it. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif)

It was Matlab 6.5. Didn't work like you said, had to uninstall it, but OpenGl worked in the end. Thanx, I would have never figured it out by myself!

dbg00712
11-13-2003, 06:14 PM

dbg00712
11-13-2003, 06:16 PM

dbg00712
11-13-2003, 06:17 PM

Taltos
11-16-2003, 10:28 PM
I can't seem to run any OpenGL games too. MOHAA / Spearhead, Jedi Knight, Call of Duty.
All the games hang while loading. If I wait 30-60 min sometimes they will load.
If I format and re-install, they play fine for awhile, then won't. I've read that some ppl had this problem when they installed MATLAB, which is not installed on my system.

WinXP SP1
DX 9b
Radeon 8500 128
Cat 39 (Just tried Omega's Cat 3.9 "No Luck")
XP2100
IWIll Ka266r (XP chip works on it-I have the same problem with my Thunderbird 1.3)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks...

11-17-2003, 07:05 PM
OK.... I am having that stupid XP drivers problem. I went to that sci tech site, and i was playing C.S, and all accross my screen appeared the words: SCI-TECH GL DIRECT DEMO VERSION yadda yadda yadda....CAN I GET THIS FOR FREE or if not it, a similiar program. Ok... i can run almost nothing as it is. Heres my specs (dont laugh)

500 mhz p3
128 mb
32 mb ati rage
12 gig hd
e.t.c.....
well, you get the idea, and i have that windows XP on my crappy comp cause internet doesnt work if i try 2000!! Why did mc have to kick open gl from da club????!? WHY!!??!?!

11-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Download latest drivers from producers of your graphic cards. Many of you have problem with openGL because only v 1.1 is unified. Newer versions are written by producers.

11-25-2003, 06:12 AM
For those of you who have matlab 6.5 installed then opengl will cease to work.

Thanks a lot!! I would have never suspected it depended from matlab!

11-25-2003, 08:03 AM
for help see here:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001581-8.html

11-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks a million tran! It was indeed matlab 6.5. When the matlab.exe process is a live in the task bar, for some odd reason, opengl fails to even initialize. How bizarre!?
(just clicked end process on the matlab process and everything works again!)

12-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks a lot guys!! I have had the same problem for a while now. Its the freaking Matlab 6.5. I just turned off the server service and all is fine. The guys at Mathworks should look into this problem.

12-16-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm using a winfast geforce 4 64mb with a 950mhz duron and 512 mb ddr ram.
win XP, but cannot use anything with the quake 3 engine ( elite force, quake 3, rtcw, or jedi acadamy) just been to nvidia for the latest drivers, and all they have is v53.03, is that any goood at solving the gl problems???

12-20-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Mafiew:
Hi, I have been having problems with opengl games in windows xp and the *only* solution after many tries has been to download Nvidia driver 41.07 from http://www.msi.com.tw. This got MDK2 to work again and it got Neverwinter Nights to run. In NN, however, the config utility says it can't find an opengl driver. Anyway I hope this helps people who have had no luck with anything else.

Note on installing driver for those who need detailed instructions:

This driver is unlike the regular nvidia drivers which have their own install program.

The way I installed it was to:
First run the 4107xp.exe and specify a folder to extract to (there are a lot of files so it would be good to extract it to a new folder)

1. uninstall the current nvidia drivers on your system (and then reboot as it will ask you to)
2. When winxp boots up it installs it's own geforce4 4400 driver
3. Go to controlpanel->system
4. click on the hardware tab
5. click on the device manager button
6. double click on "display-adaptors"
7. right click on the driver that shows up
8. choose "update driver"
9. choose "install from a specific location" then hit next
10. choose "don't search..." hit next
11. click on have disk
12. browse to where you extracted your driver
13. double click on the .inf file that shows up

hopefully your new driver installed smoothly and your computer now works like mine did.

I heard this suggestion about this msi driver from another forum and the fact that it uses "update driver" to install instead of using nvidia's install program may have something to do with why it works. I had attempted to fix the problems by uninstalling and reinstallg nvidia's drivers but what would happen was microsoft's geforce4 driver would get installed and then i had to install the nvidia driver over that. So maybe the fact that the driver is getting installed over microsofts instead of over a clean slate prevents the problem from being fixed.

-Matt

this seems to have worked for me as well with RTCW (ET was ok) - went back to 4107 and all is good

12-22-2003, 09:42 AM
I've tried to play need for speed underground and when its in the black screen the pc just restarts. It does this to most games too. Some of them they just exit. i can't play anything

12-23-2003, 06:32 AM
"well i've fixed the problem after many hours of frustration. It wasn't even a driver problem in the end.
For those of you who have matlab 6.5 installed then opengl will cease to work. If you kill it in the task bar then games or anything using opengl will work again."

Thanks to tran, now i can play call of duty

Nonviable420
12-26-2003, 07:36 AM
Where can I download Open GL 1.4 from? I can't find it.

01-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Like you, I have a Compaq Presario laptop with Win XP, Trident Cyberblade i1 card, 312 MB Ram, 600 MHz Celeron.
Do you have the correct video drivers?
I can't connect my pc to a television because seems like there's no driver completely compatible.

Please help me.
Send me some GOOD news to my e-mail:
pedrofsf@clix.pt

01-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by dbg00712:

I was having the same problems with opengl and winxp so I went to micro soft's web site and upgraded my graphics driver. I no longer have a problem with opengl because I don't need it to play my games.

medo_aixe
01-04-2004, 04:41 AM

01-10-2004, 03:05 PM
im not registered i have the same problem but dont know much about opengl if anyone can help me and walk me thrugh im me at cbigboriqua24@aol.com

please help

its 4 rtcw

02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
for MOHAA if you have MATLAB install . Go to task manager & remove Matlab & matlab server processes & your MOHAA will work.

02-14-2004, 12:09 AM
OpenGL drivers are shipped with Microsoft WindowsXP, placed in the system32 subdirectory. Also the GeForceFX is an OpenGl-based chip just like the ATI. So, when you upgrade the NVIDIO (or ATI) drivers you will have latest OpenGL support for your video card. If you have problems, just check out how you installed the operating system or the game itself. Many times the game is bugged (like NWN for the ATI processor-based card in the 1.00 version), other times the SO or the video card have software/hardware problems. Anyway, just update your drivers.

02-14-2004, 09:59 AM
If you do have problems with Windows XP and you are upgrading your video cards, then go with the ATI Radeon 9100/8500 cards instead with about 64/128 MB RAM. The ATI 9100 is very good for current OpenGL games today and its cost value is very good (<$70 USD). Also, get ATI drivers v4.1 or higher and get rid of the older Catalyst 3.9 and below drivers.

fire_662
02-15-2004, 09:50 AM
What does OPENGL capadable mean. What kind of drives are capadable to that?

02-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Just a suggestion that has solved loads of problems in the past for me. If your running win xp be it pro or home, try the file compatibility setting provided by xp. Just simply right click on the main exe file and choose properties, then click the compat tab and check the box for Run this program in compat mode for: and choose win 98. By default xp has support for open gl but does not know when to use it unless specified by the user. A bit of a hassle if you ask me, but it works. I have had the same problems as others whom posted here and this was the simplest solution I came accross. Hope this helps.

arod
02-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Hello... How do I tell what kind of graphics card I have at home>?? It is a generic card that has no markings on it.

02-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Tran is my hero. I have had a year without openGL on my XP system. I've changed drivers, reinstalled windows, reinstalled OpenGL but no go. I saw Tran's post on Matlab 6.5 somehow blocking openGL. I removed Matlab.exe from the Processes list and - IT WORKS. I don't know why Matlab forces it's exe into an active process when I didn't execute the program. If you have Matlab installed - remove the exe from the process list (or remove the program completely). Note that if Matlab can screw up OPENGL then other processes may be able to also. Delete all processes not required and see if it solves your problems.

arod
02-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Hello...I have been trying to play return to castle wolfenstein on my wifes computer since my Vaio laptop blew up on me... it worked on the laptop...but when I try to play it... a message comes up and says..." cannot load OPENGL subsystem... and I have tryed to update the video graphics card drivers and still the same thing happens. hhhhheeeelllppp!!!!!

arod
02-19-2004, 07:17 PM
HOW DO i UPDATE MY VIDEO DRIVERS?? TO USE OPENGL???

arod
02-19-2004, 07:46 PM
HI WERE DO I GET THE OPENGL SETUP FOR XP??? PLEASE HELP//

03-02-2004, 07:28 PM
I had some problems to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my PC. I have Pentium 4 with XP Pro + GeForce 2. When I had Win98 the loading of the game was OK. But now when I try to play it on my XP, there was the message : "Can not load OpenGL"... I visit this forum, read the comments, and decide to download new drivers for my Graphic Card (www.nVidia.com) first. After I install the new ones, there was not any problem anymore. I recommend to all who had the same problem to do the same. So, I'll be happy if my comment help you to get back in good mood. Greetings from Macedonia!