PDA

View Full Version : HALF LIFE and WINDOWS XPPro!!

adydula
01-18-2003, 06:46 AM
Hello,

I have been reading the threads and have reading that many, many gamers are having all kinds of OpenGl issues when playing Half - Life and using Windows XP.

I also am one of the and have experienced various degrees of success and failure.

I am very much involved i this industry and see all kinds of 'defects' that involve pc hardware, video drivers and all kinds of other anomailies.

For the most part after playing thousands of hours of Half Life I have used W2K and for the most part its a fairly stable platform for running Half-Life.

WIth a variety of video adapters, ie Voodoo series , Gforce series, and ATI Radeon series.

But moving to Windows XP has been full of intermittent heartburn!!!

I would like this post be a gathering place for HALF LIFE users that are trying to get HAlf Life to run in a stable way on their Windows XP systems.

I have a Shuttle AK31 ver 3 motherboard and a Gforce 4 4600 Titianium video adapter. It has the VIA 266A chipset. SO i have to use Via 4-in-1 Drivers, (version 4.42).

I am using all the latest XP fixs, SP1 etc. from WindowsUpdate.

I am using Nvida, unsigned (non-WHQL) drivers from Nvidia 41.09.

The major issues I am having are intermittent HL.exe errors and ntdll.dll errors.

If select start, programs, accessories, system tools, system information you will get to a window that show you all kinds of info abbout your system.

Click of Software Environment and select Windows Error Reporting. You will see a listing of all the errors that have occurred and have been captured by XP. WHn you see the do you want to send this info to Microsoft or not message pop up window.

If your having Hl.exe issue they will be her along with some technical address stuff that does not mean a lot to 'us'

My HL.exe errors seem totally random.

I have tried the various HL.exe command line fixes using the -nocdaudio in the command line for starting up Half Life.

I use Gamespy as a front end to starting HL and findng my favorite servers to play on.

My errors seem to be lockups due to the HL.EXE faults that show up in the error log.

I will be playing for 10-20 minutes and for no apparent reason the Half Life game is stopped by this HL Windows trap messageing system....

Yo exit out and either send the info to MIcrosoft or not then go back into the game via Gamespy and start all over and yo will experience this lock up again randomly

I have tried not using a Virus program ( I use AVG) and have tried turning off y software firewall program(I use ZoneAlarm, nto the PRo version). Still I get these hangs.

I get occaisional ntdll.dll hangs or traps or faults...

From what little I have been able to garner, MIcrosoft in their Knowledge base tells you HL.EXE is Incompatible with Windows XP!!!!

They have several issues with several verisons of Half Life and the this incompatibility is mentioned BUT the solutions is NOT. Microsoft instructs you to go to Sierra.com for a solution.

A friend across town has a W2K system with aGforce 3 adapter and all the latest stuff, drives etc..and runs Virus and Zonealarm and has this system acting as a HALF LIFE SERVER, stable and NO hangs!!

On his second system SOYO KT333 based board A Dragon Ultra Platinum, with WINDOWS XPPro, he has a ATI Radeon 9700 with the laest drivers from ATI....he gets HL.exe errors all day long!!

We have been trying to determine where the fault could be, and we are both good troubleshooters, by the lets swap this for that routine, and we have replaced video adapters, from the ATI Radeo 9700 to the 'other' stable systems Gforce 3 44400 adatper, still hangs...

We are down to either the system board or power supply, but for some reason I do not think its that, I wish I could make some sense of the actual fault module information that is presented in the system information panels...

There seesm to be a possible interaction with the motherboard chipset, ther bussmaster drivers used, many board manufactures have changed these drivers as processor speed, AGP stuff, and new OS have arrived on the scene, trying to find a combination that works for Half Life can be very painful.

Ok, enough rambling on, If anyone wants to add anything that may help Half Life gamers
find a stable solution to these HL.exe errors while in game or any other faults that happen with WINDOWS XP, please chime in..

I also have written Sierra and would encourage thsoe that have this proble do likewise....if its a Sierra issue (once someone does 'root cause determination') then we need to keep pinging them!!

I apologize for any mispellings!!

Thanks.
Alex

01-22-2003, 07:43 AM
I seem to have the same trouble and i have a Radeon 8500 card, i thought it was the cards problem...
Anyway my HL/CS jamms after about 10-20 minutes and is caught by the XP error system.
Ive tried to fix it in many ways like downloading latest drivers and formating my whole harddrive. I also reintalled the game.

How do you fix this problem?

01-22-2003, 11:16 AM
If Microsoft says that the game is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XP, I believe they do it for a reason...

My 0.02

01-24-2003, 03:05 AM
I suggest you go here, I have had the same problem in SOF2 and now Quake 3 http://www.xp-refresh.net/ problem appears to be refresh rates/open gl based as shown above.

the_klint
01-26-2003, 05:11 AM
i had same problem but has been solved
(i could not play half life with my leadtek gforce4 mx 440 wwith wind2k)

i downloaded this file
" nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII for Detonator 40.41 "
At this addresse

" http://www.voodoofiles.com/7780 "

nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII v2.00 E

Features
- Solves 60 Hz bug for DirectDraw, Direct3D and OpenGL
- Lets you specify refresh rates from 60 up to 240.
- Compatible to Detonator 40.41
- Also works with older Detonators, since 28.32

Description
If you have a nVidia graphics card, you'll probably know about the very common bug, that occurs together with the nVidia Detonator drivers under Windows NT/2000/XP: Normally, you can't get a higher refresh rate than 60 Hz in the OpenGL/Direct3D modes, which makes you very blind after a while of gaming. ;-) I programmed this tool, to fix this bug, since I could not find an existing tool for this on the internet, which is compatible with the new official Detonator v28.32 drivers. There already were some tools around that supported the older Detonator versions.

01-30-2003, 07:51 PM
I don't think i am having that problem with half life. my problem is that it installs correctly-but when i go to play the game, i put the disc in the drive, and then click play...but it keeps saying the disk isn't in the drive. any suggesting? i've looked for updates for xp for this, or half life, in case they went back to fix this, but i can't find any.

the_klint
01-31-2003, 05:34 AM
Have u tried it ? http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif
otherwise try the tech support forum of the game that causes problems... most often u can find specific settings of your own PC config... somtimes simply gaining FPS can help the card... also refresh rates...

the answer is out there but there are too many parameters to controll this technologie unless u really dig it ! (PC technology is crap but we are stuck with it cos it is every where http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif)

JJVenom
02-01-2003, 05:58 AM
well, i have a similar problome that i cant get fixed too.

after 20-30 mins of play, half life hangs and gives an error saying that hl.exe crap, but it also gives me something about nvogl.dll iv been sending microsoft an error report each time, and they have comeup with patches to fix it, but none of them worked.

some one plz help me.

the_klint
02-01-2003, 07:25 AM
for half life problems go to this page
most of this modifications will improve both your system and game

it is what allowed me to run opengl buglessly
http://forums.dayofdefeatmod.com/forums/...&threadid=27528 (http://forums.dayofdefeatmod.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f671709498538aff840cea8049ffc9bc&threadid=27528)

other wise try cleaning off all of half life from system then reinstalling the game but with antivirus and firewall shut down...
(some times antivirus's take over controll of where and what goes into system so somtimes missing files problems are solved that way)
but for open gl solutions i see very little answers posted here... i suppose this is the "idiots" post !

02-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Yawn:
If Microsoft says that the game is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XP, I believe they do it for a reason...

My 0.02

you are gay. who cares what microsoft says

02-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by arey:
you are gay.

No I'm not, so you have to look for a new lover somewhere else.

02-22-2003, 07:51 AM
My problem with half-life is that if i started a game in 800x600 resolution, my monitor would whistle, and the game would freeze shortly after loading... That xp-refresh fixed that. This isn't limited to OpenGL, microsoft has mentioned in an article that Direct3D can crap out if running a rate faster than 60hz on XP! The only games I've had trouble with are Diablo 2 and Half-Life, so far. Diablo 2 I have to run in DirectDraw to keep it from crashing my computer, other D3D based games don't seem to have a problem. Half-Life was immediately fixed upon downloading that program mentioned above. It optimizes the refresh rates on your computer, just like 98/Me used to. Try it out, I had no idea refresh rates were so important, because I've always used 98, it did it for me.

02-22-2003, 07:50 PM
i JUST BOUGHT A NEW SYSTEM AND IT WAS LOADED WITH xp......Now my bran new Pent4/cable modem/128mb video card are useless because I can't get into a multiplayer game.

I was able to load HL/TF but when I click on a server I get a "could not connect to game server..invalid authentication information" message.

I bought this new system primarily to play team fortress...now I feel pretty screwed. I hate XP!!!

If anyone can give me some advise I would love to get back on line in the game/

later-snafu

Originally posted by adydula:
Hello,

I have been reading the threads and have reading that many, many gamers are having all kinds of OpenGl issues when playing Half - Life and using Windows XP.

I also am one of the and have experienced various degrees of success and failure.

I am very much involved i this industry and see all kinds of 'defects' that involve pc hardware, video drivers and all kinds of other anomailies.

For the most part after playing thousands of hours of Half Life I have used W2K and for the most part its a fairly stable platform for running Half-Life.

WIth a variety of video adapters, ie Voodoo series , Gforce series, and ATI Radeon series.

But moving to Windows XP has been full of intermittent heartburn!!!

I would like this post be a gathering place for HALF LIFE users that are trying to get HAlf Life to run in a stable way on their Windows XP systems.

I have a Shuttle AK31 ver 3 motherboard and a Gforce 4 4600 Titianium video adapter. It has the VIA 266A chipset. SO i have to use Via 4-in-1 Drivers, (version 4.42).

I am using all the latest XP fixs, SP1 etc. from WindowsUpdate.

I am using Nvida, unsigned (non-WHQL) drivers from Nvidia 41.09.

The major issues I am having are intermittent HL.exe errors and ntdll.dll errors.

If select start, programs, accessories, system tools, system information you will get to a window that show you all kinds of info abbout your system.

Click of Software Environment and select Windows Error Reporting. You will see a listing of all the errors that have occurred and have been captured by XP. WHn you see the do you want to send this info to Microsoft or not message pop up window.

If your having Hl.exe issue they will be her along with some technical address stuff that does not mean a lot to 'us'

My HL.exe errors seem totally random.

I have tried the various HL.exe command line fixes using the -nocdaudio in the command line for starting up Half Life.

I use Gamespy as a front end to starting HL and findng my favorite servers to play on.

My errors seem to be lockups due to the HL.EXE faults that show up in the error log.

I will be playing for 10-20 minutes and for no apparent reason the Half Life game is stopped by this HL Windows trap messageing system....

Yo exit out and either send the info to MIcrosoft or not then go back into the game via Gamespy and start all over and yo will experience this lock up again randomly

I have tried not using a Virus program ( I use AVG) and have tried turning off y software firewall program(I use ZoneAlarm, nto the PRo version). Still I get these hangs.

I get occaisional ntdll.dll hangs or traps or faults...

From what little I have been able to garner, MIcrosoft in their Knowledge base tells you HL.EXE is Incompatible with Windows XP!!!!

They have several issues with several verisons of Half Life and the this incompatibility is mentioned BUT the solutions is NOT. Microsoft instructs you to go to Sierra.com for a solution.

A friend across town has a W2K system with aGforce 3 adapter and all the latest stuff, drives etc..and runs Virus and Zonealarm and has this system acting as a HALF LIFE SERVER, stable and NO hangs!!

On his second system SOYO KT333 based board A Dragon Ultra Platinum, with WINDOWS XPPro, he has a ATI Radeon 9700 with the laest drivers from ATI....he gets HL.exe errors all day long!!

We have been trying to determine where the fault could be, and we are both good troubleshooters, by the lets swap this for that routine, and we have replaced video adapters, from the ATI Radeo 9700 to the 'other' stable systems Gforce 3 44400 adatper, still hangs...

We are down to either the system board or power supply, but for some reason I do not think its that, I wish I could make some sense of the actual fault module information that is presented in the system information panels...

There seesm to be a possible interaction with the motherboard chipset, ther bussmaster drivers used, many board manufactures have changed these drivers as processor speed, AGP stuff, and new OS have arrived on the scene, trying to find a combination that works for Half Life can be very painful.

Ok, enough rambling on, If anyone wants to add anything that may help Half Life gamers
find a stable solution to these HL.exe errors while in game or any other faults that happen with WINDOWS XP, please chime in..

I also have written Sierra and would encourage thsoe that have this proble do likewise....if its a Sierra issue (once someone does 'root cause determination') then we need to keep pinging them!!

I apologize for any mispellings!!

Thanks.
Alex

02-23-2003, 01:26 AM
[quote] If Microsoft says that the game is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XP, I believe they do it for a reason [quote]
does anyone know how i can fix that problem. every time i try and start the game it sais: Half-Life has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows. For an update that is compatible with this version of Windows, contact Sierra.
how can i fix this problem thanks

03-02-2003, 07:01 PM
I've had some weird problems with HL. I have Windows XP with an AMD Athalon, 1.8 ghz, 512 MB of RAM, Radeon 7500 64 MB AGP, and when I play HL, after about 5 minutes my computer just turns completely off. I'm pretty sure its not a power problem, and every other game works fine, including UT2K3 and BF1942. I also have the same problem running Counterstrike, which is the retail version, installed off a totally different CD. Any possible explanation/help?

03-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Lots of strange Problems u have.
I have Half-Life with newest Update here on my WinXP Machine, and everything works fine.

BigB_WBU
03-13-2003, 06:17 AM
I am having a simialar problem but not exactly. When I try to run HL/CS in OpenGL mode it gives me the error "This OpenGL mode is not supported by your graphics card" However, I know it is. It worked fine for along time and then out of the blue it just starting giving me this error. So I reinstaled all the drivers for my card, I reinstalled Windows XP, got all of the service packs and updates, I bought a new graphics card(that supports OpenGL), I got the latest drivers for it, I updated my BIOS, I tried unistallig and reinstalling Half-life. But I still can't get it to work in OpenGL mode. It will work fine in Direct3D though. I am completely puzzled. Why would it work one day and not the next? I didn't change anything it just quit working. Anyway any help if possible would be nice. But it looks like most people here have are havintg problems of there own. Is there anyway I can test to see if OpenGL works at all on my machine or if it is jsut a half-life problem.

03-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Hello, I got I think the same problem as you, sometimes, when playing counter-strike (a half-life mod) it crashes and the sounds loops for like 5 to 10 seconds then it says that microsoft is sorry blabla... I tried running CS in a window and it's doing it so it's not a fullscreen bug...

Here's the error message:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 3/21/2003
Time: 10:08:06 PM
User: N/A
Computer: AMD1000
Description:
Faulting application hl.exe, version 1.1.1.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1106, fault address 0x00006a2c.

And before I upgraded the video drivers (ATI make new drivers about every week lol)
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 3/20/2003
Time: 7:39:39 PM
User: N/A
Computer: AMD1000
Description:
Faulting application hl.exe, version 1.1.1.0, faulting module atioglxx.dll, version 6.14.10.3561, fault address 0x00043c01.

I surely think it's a driver problem... It cant be anything else, cuz I didn't had these problems with my Voodoo 5, Now I got a Radeon 7000/VE.

If someone would help me pleaseeeeeeee except telling me to play in direct3d or software...

Mat

03-27-2003, 09:20 PM
That's the same problem that I have. I have been reading all the other posts here. I have my XP set at 75hz refresh. When I get back to my PC (not here) I am going to change to 65 or 70hz, hopefully this will help. Will let you know!

Happy gaming all you guys that have NO problems!!!

Originally posted by BigB_WBU:
I am having a simialar problem but not exactly. When I try to run HL/CS in OpenGL mode it gives me the error "This OpenGL mode is not supported by your graphics card"

03-30-2003, 09:15 AM
I used to play half-life and counterstrike on windows ME fine, but then after an unrelated incident I had to erase my hard drive twice which was very frustraiting, and I had to install XP as my os to keep my wireless network working. Now I try to install half-life and I get a shrinker.err mesage when I try to run the install execuatble. I tried deshrinking the file with DeShrink 1.6 but when I try to run that file I get an xp error report message. I've tried everything and it does not work, even disabling my virus protection but it seems hopeless. All I really want to play is counterstrike though.

04-04-2003, 04:14 AM
I have problems with CS and XP to.
I have read all the post in this thread.
It's very interesting to read about the verity of issues with XP an open GL.
I use to run CS on W2K it wasn't any problems. It was smooth and fine with 100 fps.
I changed monitor. Suddenly CS was running with 60 fps. Which is very strange. So I installed XP.
Problem still there.
The monitor I'm using now is better then the old one regarding refresh rates.
Microsoft recommended to update the AGP driver……ohhh really

I'm using a GF4 card with the latest drivers. So I tried to use the fix nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII v2.00 E.
It gives 100 fps in CS. But its like playing with soap under your feet. Can't have that.
I uninstalled it and tried refresh lock instead, it works fine.
So now I play with 100 fps.
The other problem with XP and CS is that XP has some sort of built in mouse acceleration which is ****ing up my aim.
I just hate it.

04-10-2003, 04:43 PM
0.settings tab
1.advanced
2.geforce 2 tab
3.click on opengl setting
4.and where it says
5.Buffer Flipping Mode
6.select Use Block Transfer

this worked for me <pwscracked@yahoo.com>

04-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Where can i find the newest detonator driver for nVidia? Like the exact URL.

04-13-2003, 12:40 PM
nevermind i got it.

04-20-2003, 08:15 AM
When I play halflife the game just cuts out at random and brings up some sort of error. I can never play online it seems, before the server even shows up it crashes halflife completely. These errors look alot like this:

NET_SendPacket ERROR: WSAEINTR
NET_SendPacket ERROR: NOERROR

Are these in any relation to anybody elses errors, and problems running halflife in XP? If so, does anyone know how to fix these errors? I'll check sierra.com but I have not found anything yet. If you could either post or contact me at trmf@homtail.com. Thanks.

04-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by trmf:
When I play halflife the game just cuts out at random and brings up some sort of error. I can never play online it seems, before the server even shows up it crashes halflife completely. These errors look alot like this:

NET_SendPacket ERROR: WSAEINTR
NET_SendPacket ERROR: NOERROR

Are these in any relation to anybody elses errors, and problems running halflife in XP? If so, does anyone know how to fix these errors? I'll check sierra.com but I have not found anything yet. If you could either post or contact me at trmf@homtail.com. Thanks.

yep i got this error oso can anyone help?

04-28-2003, 01:14 AM
Yeah thats net send packet error is not to do with graphics but i never had ti wne i was on win 98 se. i think it has something to do with the packets n a service which is installed on all connections called QoS which is meant to manage packets. i took it off and couldnt manage to connect to my isp afterwards but i think its that not allowing hl to send info correctly.

also when i run hl on open gl in win xp it crashes occasionally and says:

caused invalid error in hl.exe (nvogt.dll)

cheers, dont post if u cant help or dont hve a prob please

05-06-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by joel9933:
0.settings tab
1.advanced
2.geforce 2 tab
3.click on opengl setting
4.and where it says
5.Buffer Flipping Mode
6.select Use Block Transfer

this worked for me <pwscracked@yahoo.com>

I had this same problem. Suddenly just hearing some noice and then Winxp reporting the problem.

It seemed to be really random, I even played full 1 hour clan match yesterday without problems, but other times it might do it immediatly after going to server.

Anyways I think that this did it for me.. still have to test some more, but I played for some time with that setting on and no hickups.

05-09-2003, 07:31 AM
When I play Half Life addons such as TFC Online I can play like 5 minutes then I get "Half-Life: hl.exe - Application Error". The instruction at "0x0a74ffe2" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

This is quite annoying and makes me unable to play. I have Error Reporting Service enabled, however it does not report the event.

I tried the above step.
I have Vertical Sync off and Buffer-Flipping Mode use Block Transfer.
I have GF4Ti-4600 , 1024 x 846 RES.
NVIDIA Drivers: 43.45 not DIGITALLY SIGNED.
I use RefreshLock to enable 85Hz while playing.
Looking forward to see replys, thanks from a desperate guy.

05-12-2003, 06:51 PM
I read someone's post about a shrinker.err message. I get the same thing and don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know what I can do? Do you think it might be the cd?

05-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Yeah, i just upgraded from my geforce4 mx440 (POS) to a radeon 9500pro (8x faster) and now i can't play cs in opengl.. well thats not true, i can play it, but when i start the game, i have the stupid menu screen in my face, then i try to hit escape and go to resume game which usually clears up the stupid menu remnant. Upon hitting escape, it hangs everything, everything but the power button. Direct3d doesn't do it, but i hate d3d and cs sucks with d3d. Any known issues? If only i could get an error message, then i could figure it out.

1234!
05-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Hackman989:
Yeah, i just upgraded from my geforce4 mx440 (POS) to a radeon 9500pro (8x faster) and now i can't play cs in opengl.. well thats not true, i can play it, but when i start the game, i have the stupid menu screen in my face, then i try to hit escape and go to resume game which usually clears up the stupid menu remnant. Upon hitting escape, it hangs everything, everything but the power button. Direct3d doesn't do it, but i hate d3d and cs sucks with d3d. Any known issues? If only i could get an error message, then i could figure it out.

Its a known bug in the ATI drivers, it will be fixed in the next release which should come out soon.

05-15-2003, 06:56 AM
Thank god! I just got a whole new system I built and I am having that sort of problem. Now I can load HL or TFC actually, but if I try to tab out, or just simply exit the game it totally crashes my system. There is no other way to get it back up other than turning it off and then back on. However other than that one quite annoying problem it seems to run quite well on my new system. I haven't had any other errors that are talked about on this board in either of my systems... actually never had any of them on anything I've had. I've run 95, 98, 98SE, ME,XP, and XP Pro. So yep.. I've run it it on just about all windows platforms and never had a problem with half life until now.... Wish the darn Nvidia card didn't get so hot now or I would have got that.

Old Sys
Shuttle AK31A V 3.X
512 PC2100
Duron 1Ghz and later upgraded to AMD 2100(tb)
Ti4600
nothing else is really relavant
Benchmark Unreal Tournament 2003 30 fps(heavy load)

New Sys
Asus A7N8X V 2.0
1Gig PC2700 in dual channel Mode
Radeon 9700 Pro
AMD 2100 OC'ed to 2700(just changed FSB to 166)
Benchmark in Unreal Tournament 2003 at about 80fps(heavy load)

BTW Thanks for that information on the driver fix as I will definately be looking to fix that problem!

nlopes
05-26-2003, 08:08 AM
I must say this: CS works great in Windows XP with DirectX.
With OpenGL has too many bugs, I don't know why...

05-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Well my problem is kind of different then al of yours... CS worked fine with direct3d... but when i switched to open gl i had problems.... I would be able to play a game fine.. but when i exit out of cs i am not able to open it anymore.. id click on it, but nothing would happen.. i wouldnt be able to open quake 3 either... Could someone please help me out

will3438
05-26-2003, 01:41 PM
That error message also comes up when I load a counterstrike game, if anyone can help me fix it PLEASE contact me

will3438@msn.com

05-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Re: Well my problem is kind of different then al of yours... CS worked fine with direct3d... but when i switched to open gl i had problems.... I would be able to play a game fine.. but when i exit out of cs i am not able to open it anymore..

I have a similar problem when I've got HL (or any HL mod) running in Compatibility Mode. It turns out that the hl.exe "process" doesn't terminate on it's own in XP on my machine if it's in compatibility mode. Just hit ALT+CTRL+DEL to bring up Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. Look for "hl.exe", select it, and click the "End Process" button.

If you tried to launch other games after HL and they didn't come up, you might have to do the same for their process too. Note that if you tried to launch HL multiple times while experiencing this there may be multiple HL.exe proccesses in there for you to kill. And be sure you've got the Proccesses tab selected, because Half-Life disappears from the Applications tab even tho the HL.exe process is still in the Processes tab!

Good luck!

05-31-2003, 07:52 AM
Hrmm well when i CTRL ALT DEL and task manager comes up.. i see no process tab anywhere

05-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Skylar, I got the same problem and THAT'S THE SOLUTION!!! Thank you so much dumbaz. Something that simple screwin up the works, gawd. OMFG what pain in the ass having to reboot everytime. BTW skylar, how do you not have a processes tab? What does your task manager look like when you bring it up. I remember turning on that compatability crap now. Where do I turn it off? Lol, I forget. Hopefully when I turn it off, it'll fix this problem and create 5 more.

05-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Holy mother of god! Turning that compatibility crap off fixed it. Skylar, right-click on your CS icon, go to properties, goto compatibility tab, and uncheck the compatibility mode box. Harmony has returned for the moment. Dumbaz will now be the name of my first born.

05-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Skylar: Hrm, Win 95 and 98 don't have the Proccesses thing. Win 2000 and XP should, unless it's simply called something else in 2000. Also, in XP the Task Manager pops up right away when you CTRL+DEL+DEL, while 2000 instead pops up a window with a button you have to click to bring up the Task Manager. I think it's the middle one on the bottom row.

Anyway, if you don't have a Processes tab (maybe it'd be Jobs or Threads in 2000, I dunno), you may or may not be able to find it in whatever other listing of running programs Task Manager has. Also, if there's a blank button left in the Task Bar after running HL click on that to make it go away. May or may not help, I'm kinda conjecturing this time.

Nullg: Hehe. Thank you very much, be sure to send me photos of young Dumbaz http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif Kidding aside, it's good to know that I could help!

06-12-2003, 06:37 AM
hey, well i have the same problem. its a pain in the butt. it is compatible for XP. i have the XP verson. and i can prove it.

i have a verson of half likfe that says:

"Minimum Requirements.
¤Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP.
¤intel Pentium 233
or AMD k6-2 300
¤32 megs Ram
¤400mb hd
¤2x CD-Rom Drive.
¤SVGA, high-colour (16-bit)
¤Win-compatible sound card.
ñ32-bit internet service provider with 28.8+ modem or LAN (for multiplayer modes)

Which i conclude is compatible for windows XP....

there must be a cure for this dam problem!

06-16-2003, 05:00 PM
umm I have this problem with HL and CS retail.. I have WinXP Radeon 7500 and my main HD set to F:.. I had my computer just fine till I decided to put in a new HD, and I did reinstalled my CS retail and it didnt work in OpenGL mode nor in D3D.

Here's how it goes:
Mode set
then I start a game enter a server or create a LAN game the whole game just crashes, the console doesn't come up the game just crashes right there...

well then I tried and istalled HAlf Life then the CS 1.5 mod in it, half Life won't work either. I'm getting that "Failed to load Engine DLL."

I've tried installing new drivers for my Radeon nothing happened, it's just weird it used to work just fine

anyone experiencing anything the same?

06-21-2003, 10:46 AM
I have the sam ething with my win98se radeon 7500. I tried running dx diag for my directx and could not pass the full screen direct draw test with the card. Here is a what it said:
No problems found.
DirectDraw test results: Failure at step 7 (User verification of fullscreen bouncing): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

So i was having trouble with my direct 3d as well...

Does anyone know what could solve this, the drivers are updated and some other games wont work as well, at least in full screen..
Thanks, Apache

08-13-2003, 03:02 AM
I got some problems as well. when i try to update server list, DoD crashes. i can't even get in a game.

09-21-2003, 10:47 AM
me too. I got a new Prosser (athalon 1200)
and now HL, DOD, CS what ever mod crashes on game play .... I'm on XP as well.. hell My grrl fiend just beat HL the other day (be fore new chip.) one other change I made was moveing from ATA to standerd .... should not make a difference....

confused as well.. if i figure it out i will post again... but if some one else gets this fix then PLS! post!

09-21-2003, 10:52 AM
all so did a reinstall.. of everything....

09-26-2003, 03:51 PM
OK, I just found this forum while searching for something else. But anyways, I have been running Half-life on my XP system without problems for over a year now. Following I will give you my specs:

300 W. Power
Gigabyte GA-72X
512 PC 133
AMD Thunderbird 950
GeForce MX 420
WinXP
ATA-100 60GB Western Digital
ATA-66 17GB IBM
Toshiba DVD
Yamaha CDR/W
Sound Blast Live Value.
All newest drivers, newest BIOS, and newest patches.

As you can see my system dosn't have the newest hardware, but I still runs counterstsrike at 1024x768 in OpenGL at 60FPS. I don't know if any of this would help ya any, but I just thought I would post my setup. Any questions feel free to email me. jur4551c@comcast.net. I can try to help ya.

10-09-2003, 04:00 AM
and OFCOURSE, NO response to the guy who told the people reading this thread - 'in Windows XP, there's some built-in acceleration that is ****ing up my aim'. Now tell me. PLEASE tell me. WHY don't I see HORDES, massive THREADS about people with the exact, same, problem???.. Because it's THERE, you can't ignore it, it's ANNOYING. What am I talking about?

The gay Windows XP built-in mouse acceleration which you CANNOT turn off in a normal fashion unless you have some parameters for HL.EXE. Now I vaguely remember it was something like -noforceaccel or something like that, but hey - it's not like you can find that information anywhere? You think I'm wrong? PROVE me wrong. PLEASE. Because I've been searching all week. And I'm sure many thousands of other CS players have already switched back to a decent version of Windows (Win98SE or Win2K , the rest simply stinks) since you don't get the problem there.

10-09-2003, 03:32 PM
(must become a member to view certian spots>its auto just click join)to join go here http://groups.msn.com/openglproblems

once a member do this to solve ur probs

(DOCUMENT)(http://groups.msn.com/OpenGlProblems/documents.msnw) The opengl32.ddl is a fix u download it from documents and overite ur other c:/windows/system32 and it should play open gl games, also overite it into ur games open gl files. Make sure ur system 32 folder and ur game both have the sasme file of open gl!

10-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Nike:

yep i got this error oso can anyone help?

Euhm just put after you start-up link

.../hl.exe -console -noipx

(-dev -nointro -numericping -32bpp)

10-25-2003, 04:02 PM
gigles squirrel guy, i have the same exact problem. when i click on it, it says "this version of windows has a known compatibility error, contact Sierra" then i click continue, new game, and difficult and it says the cd isnt in there. i frickin hate it. im trying to start it in dos, but my mom wont let me in the normal dos, so im trying to use the prompt

10-28-2003, 11:49 PM
hey guys, i just installed xp and upgrade to sp1 and installed halflife only. when i trying opening it, i get the compatability error and asks me if i want to continue, cancel or view the details, i tried viewing details and it didnt help. I clicked on continue and hl launched but when i try clicking new game, it'll tell me to put in the hl cd even tho its in already, any ideas?

nide
10-31-2003, 11:19 PM
Faulting application hl.exe, version 1.1.1.1, faulting module hl.exe, version 1.1.1.1, fault address 0x00990821. can anyone help me with this plz

11-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by sp00k:
I've had some weird problems with HL. I have Windows XP with an AMD Athalon, 1.8 ghz, 512 MB of RAM, Radeon 7500 64 MB AGP, and when I play HL, after about 5 minutes my computer just turns completely off. I'm pretty sure its not a power problem, and every other game works fine, including UT2K3 and BF1942. I also have the same problem running Counterstrike, which is the retail version, installed off a totally different CD. Any possible explanation/help?

01-04-2004, 04:15 PM
OF course I am another guy with no answers and just another problem, but here it goes

Game runs fine for a bit then randomly locks and pops up this error

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!"
program: blahbalhbalbh\hl.exe
abnormal program termination

I hit ok and then below is the next box that pops up

Counter-Strike: hl.exe - Application Error

The instructions at "0xhexaddress" referenced memory at "0xanotherhexadd" The memory could not be "read".
Click ok to terminate the program.

I know some one else had the same error accept "read" was "write" or somthin like that... ne ideas????? wtf is Visual C++ being used for in Counter Strike, must be part of this new stupid steam thing they got going.

01-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Like the original thread, we came across the Windows STOP error blue screen with Counterstrike after 2-30 mins of play. We think we've narrowed the problem down to Steam and its incompatibility with the Radeon 8500 (official ATI brand) video card.

The key solution for us was switching video cards. We've managed to test a couple that do work with no crashing - a Radeon 9000 (PowerColor Evil Commando, NOT ATI brand) and a GF2 MX400.

Can others with working setups post what video cards they're using? It seems most of the problems are hitting Radeon users...

01-18-2004, 07:13 AM
My problem is less significant than most of these, but I need help nonetheless...On my old machine, I remember having problems with my computer recognizing the disc being in the drive when I tried to play the game. Well, now I'm on XP, and I can open the game and everything in compatability mode (I also recently began replaying Black and White in this fashion) but when I try to start a new game it tells me to "Insert the Half-Life CD" which is definetely already inserted...Can anybody help me here?

01-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by helpmeeplease:
My problem is less significant than most of these, but I need help nonetheless...On my old machine, I remember having problems with my computer recognizing the disc being in the drive when I tried to play the game. Well, now I'm on XP, and I can open the game and everything in compatability mode (I also recently began replaying Black and White in this fashion) but when I try to start a new game it tells me to "Insert the Half-Life CD" which is definetely already inserted...Can anybody help me here?

Sounds like a bad CD... but you might try cleaning it with a CD cleaner.

01-24-2004, 07:52 PM
hmm i have the exactly problem also..
i think it has something to do with OpenGL..cause its not just i get this problem in Half-Life/CS..

i get it in this other OpenGL based game..

02-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by lilhelp:
I read someone's post about a shrinker.err message. I get the same thing and don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know what I can do? Do you think it might be the cd?

I have that same exact problem. What did you do in order to fix it? I have totally almost givin up hope. Xp sucks horribly!

02-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ~*~JeSsIe~*~:
I have that same exact problem. What did you do in order to fix it? I have totally almost givin up hope. Xp sucks horribly!
http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/4876-1.html

Nothing wrong with XP (other than the operators). In fact, it's the best operating system Microsoft ever made (us older folks remember Windows 3.0... or hell, how about trying to get a game to boot up with a DOS boot disk made specifically for that game!)

02-15-2004, 01:07 PM
More info on the shrinker.err error:
http://www.powerzip.biz/whatsnew.aspx

PowerZip 4.51:

Major bugs fixed:

PowerZip sometimes crashed when the Settings dialog was displayed under Windows 95 OSR1
Select All didn't work Self-Extractor sometimes failed to extract valid archives
PowerZip failed to start on some machines giving an error message ("shrinker.err")
Shell Extensions didn't correctly compress files with more than one dot in the filename
PowerZip failed to report some zip compression/extraction error messages
PowerZip didn't show the hourglass cursor when opening archives
The toolbar wasn't drawn correctly on systems with MFC 6.x

r3tude
02-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Why is everyone still looking to fix the problem, if you can't fix it bypass it.

I'm having the same application error in hl.exe when playing cs1.6 for about 5sec it used to be random, now i can only just play one round.

Only im using 2k3 Server as a gaming o/s as its quicker and more reliable than XP only you have to re-enable all the graphics and sound acceleration.

Im working on dual booting with windows 2000 on a seperate partition that should sort the problem out then when i want to play cs i just boot into win2k instead.

OH, ON THE QUOTE ABOVE ON, WELL MICROSUX SAY ITS INCOMPATIBLE FOR A REASON WHAT WHAT (posh). IF THEY WHERE ALWAYS RIGHT THEY WOULDNT HAVE MADE WINDOWS ME.

Windows ME (The most succesful virus yet)

03-17-2004, 11:00 AM
update to 1.1.1.0

Kaizer.out