PDA

View Full Version : Detailed texturing (Bump mapping) in OpenGL?

10-30-2000, 11:16 AM
Is this a feature that can currently be used in games, or is it something up and coming?

blix
11-09-2000, 02:02 PM
Detailed Texturing to my knowledge is not bumpmapping. Bump mapping is something that must be part of a game's code (it is a lighting effect applied to a texture that makes it look variegated on a small scale). I don't know if 'Detail Texturing' has a technical definition; for me, it means higher quality textures; usually it's a setting on any modern game. But while nearly every modern game has some scalability with respect to texture quality, bump mapping is a special lighting/texturing technique that must be part of a game's code. Hey, expert gurus--am I wrong here?

blix
11-09-2000, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by blix:
Detailed Texturing to my knowledge is not bumpmapping. Bump mapping is something that must be part of a game's code (it is a lighting effect applied to a texture that makes it look variegated on a small scale). I don't know if 'Detail Texturing' has a technical definition; for me, it means higher quality textures; usually it's a setting on any modern game. But while nearly every modern game has some scalability with respect to texture quality, bump mapping is a special lighting/texturing technique that must be part of a game's code. Hey, expert gurus--am I wrong here?
Which is to say, most games today do not feature any bumpmapping... one well-known exception is Evolva. I don't know of any others, though some are waiting in the wings.

Nicolas Lelong
11-14-2000, 05:31 AM
Hi,

in fact, 'detail texturing' is a technique (as bump mapping is) that allows to add details to textured geometry whenever you come too close of it.

The hack is quite simple, and looks like : whenever a texture is magnified and gets bilinear-filtered, you add another 'pass' that blends a 'detail texture' (often noise) at a much lower scale than the main texture.

Unreal had this feature (but I believe it was activated only on Glide version).

For more techincal info, you can take a look at :
http://www.sgi.com/software/opengl/advanced98/notes/node64.html#SECTION000718000000000000000