PDA

View Full Version : quake3 arena

08-03-2001, 04:29 PM
When i start up my Q3A the console says: GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem....What does that mean and how can i fix it?

basem
08-11-2001, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Shappie:
When i start up my Q3A the console says: GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem....What does that mean and how can i fix it?

08-11-2001, 01:13 PM
holy crud...im having this problem....i got glsetup and ran it and everything, but the problme still persists.....i also recall having it before....but i cant remember how i fixed it. Also, unreal tournament stopped working, at about the same time. I REALLY need help, so can sombody? Uhhh...help?

08-11-2001, 01:19 PM
Oh, sorry for double posting, but im running on a voodoo 3, ive never had many problems in the past, and I recently installed some ram.

08-11-2001, 01:35 PM
Download and install gldirect from scitech. Worked for me. Unfortunately it is shareware and trial period is only for 20 days.

08-11-2001, 03:15 PM
Sup there people...i am having the same problem with everyone..GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem...i cant play ANY openGL games i am really getting SICK of trying to fix this thing, and from what i c all you people are having the same stuff...WE REALLY NEED SOME HELP...IF ANYONE FINDS OUT HOW TO DO THIS PLZ PUBLISH IT HERE..

08-12-2001, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Mane:
Download and install gldirect from scitech. Worked for me. Unfortunately it is shareware and trial period is only for 20 days.

That not a solution, thats a crappy work arround. I don't think you want opengl games to work through directx.

Anywazy, I've got the same problem. All was working fine, but now Quake doesn't work anymore. (as a mather of fact, no opengl game works anymore).
I've tried to reinstall the drivers, i've tried glsetup... noting works.

So if anyone has an idea.....

}>

08-14-2001, 09:00 AM
here's the solution for this problem..
inside ur windows folder there's a file called WIN.INI just open it and look for a line that has "DVA=0" and change it to "DVA=1", we tried it only on ASUS Geforce2 mx-400..works for all kinds of drivers..and i think it'll work with u guys..i used to have the same crappy prob but after i did this i played QUAKE 3 arena, TEAM ARENA, HERETIC 2, Alond in the Dark 4, in other words ALL OPEN GL GAMES...try this stuff it'll work..if any1 have anything to tell me my email is Tareq_84@hotmail.com

08-14-2001, 09:10 AM
Hey there thanx for ur solution Razor_blade it really works for me...i used to have the same problem now i have it solved thanx alot..keep it going http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif

08-14-2001, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Razor_blade:
here's the solution for this problem..
inside ur windows folder there's a file called WIN.INI just open it and look for a line that has "DVA=0" and change it to "DVA=1", we tried it only on ASUS Geforce2 mx-400..works for all kinds of drivers..and i think it'll work with u guys..i used to have the same crappy prob but after i did this i played QUAKE 3 arena, TEAM ARENA, HERETIC 2, Alond in the Dark 4, in other words ALL OPEN GL GAMES...try this stuff it'll work..if any1 have anything to tell me my email is Tareq_84@hotmail.com

I have no DVA=0 entry in my win.ini
I guess I just should add it, where do i need to put it inside the win.ini?

}>

08-14-2001, 11:55 AM
I found the location of the "dva=0" setting.
it is supposed to be in the [DrawDib] section of th win.ini

A added the line dva=1, same problem, quake (and all other opengl games, just freeze)

Then i've changed the line into dva=0, now quake wont even jump to opengl video mode... normal it does but then it just freezes

Probably my opengl problem is different then yours but I hope someone has a solution for this..

}>

08-15-2001, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Natas:
I found the location of the "dva=0" setting.
it is supposed to be in the [DrawDib] section of th win.ini

A added the line dva=1, same problem, quake (and all other opengl games, just freeze)

Then i've changed the line into dva=0, now quake wont even jump to opengl video mode... normal it does but then it just freezes

Probably my opengl problem is different then yours but I hope someone has a solution for this..

}>

I have the same problem as you natas, I run pentium 4 1400 mghz, 256 ram, Geforce 3 and windows ME, there is no dva file and i don't think you should be adding one. Nobody has been able to answer this question accurately enough to get it fixed.If this is happening to anbody else and you have solved it, please please tell me how.

08-16-2001, 04:14 AM
I think it has something to do with software that is uninstalled... at first, every thing worked, then suddenly it didn't.
I didn't change any hardware, didn't install new drivers...
I did remove some software and some games.

I think that a crappy game killed my opengl settings when I uninstalled it... but I don't know wich one...

}>

08-16-2001, 09:18 AM
I am having the same problem as everyone else here, runing ME. My problem, however, stems from multiple video cards. If I deactivate my second monitor, everything runs fine. Any suggestions how I can play and still keep my second monitor on?

08-16-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Just wanna play:
I am having the same problem as everyone else here, runing ME. My problem, however, stems from multiple video cards. If I deactivate my second monitor, everything runs fine. Any suggestions how I can play and still keep my second monitor on?

I've heared about this problem from several people. The only solution at the moment is.. disable the second monitor while playing opengl games... at least thats what i've heared about it.

}>

08-16-2001, 09:53 PM
Look here: http://support.atitech.ca/infobase/3235.html

It seems to be a windows 9x/me problem.. it doesn't load the opengl drivers in a multi monitor configuration.

}>

08-25-2001, 07:07 AM
what vid card are you using for your primary display. if your using a voodoo, go to www.wicked3d.com (http://www.wicked3d.com) and d/l wickedgl drivers. you pay about 7 bucks, but its well worth it, much better performance than 3dfx drivers and great dual monitor support. hope this helps.

GregH
08-29-2001, 03:18 AM
I've been working on this problem for four weeks. New MB with Duralon 900 and Radeon 32 video. OpenGL failed to run and DXdiag would only run in safe mode.
Have tried latest drivers from VIA and ATI, latest openGL and directX8.
Tried a new install of Windows98 - still didn't work. As a last resort I installed Windows 2000 Prof upgrade in a dual boot config, VIA drivers that came with MB, ATI drivers that came with video, and IT WORKS!!!.

Hardwired T28S
09-09-2001, 09:34 PM
I've heared about this problem from several people. The only solution at the moment is.. disable the second monitor while playing opengl games... at least thats what i've heared about it.

}>

of course you ahve problems, not only would multiple video cards be a big part in that but Win ME is completely SCREWED! One of my comps has a SIS6326 and thatl show the gl error and the other has a Geeforce 64meg vid card and the Gforce is perfect! Also for people with GL errors, some vid cards DO NOT support Open GL programs.

Hardwired T28S
09-09-2001, 09:38 PM

}>

of course you ahve problems, not only would multiple video cards be a big part in that but Win ME is completely SCREWED! One of my comps has a SIS6326 and thatl show the gl error and the other has a Geeforce 64meg vid card and the Gforce is perfect! Also for people with GL errors, some vid cards DO NOT support Open GL programs.

01-17-2002, 10:46 PM
I'm having the same problem as everyone else here, but I'm working with American McGee's Alice, running Windows XP and using a Voodoo 5. Alas! 3dfx is no more! I don't have a DVA line in my win.ini file, probably because of the new OS. Should I add it? Any ideas?

-Erl

01-18-2002, 04:22 AM

you need to download the opengl setup on the page

01-18-2002, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Razor_Blade:
Sup there people...i am having the same problem with everyone..GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem...i cant play ANY openGL games i am really getting SICK of trying to fix this thing, and from what i c all you people are having the same stuff...WE REALLY NEED SOME HELP...IF ANYONE FINDS OUT HOW TO DO THIS PLZ PUBLISH IT HERE..

just download the glsetup for www.opengl.com (http://www.opengl.com) you should be able to find it on that page it worked for me also download all the other stuff from open gl something will have to work right

moxx
01-19-2002, 03:05 PM
Everybody,
could You please write everything that happened in console before "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem" accures.

I have XP and such problem in Wolfenstein, but I could avoid it in Q3. Maybe it's not because of not installed GLSetup in case.

Best regards

01-21-2002, 11:36 PM
I've been having this problem lately that when I run Quake 3...it runs fine for a bit then freezes up my whole system. Sometimes I get an error that says Quake 3 caused an error in nvOpenGl.dll . I use a Geforce 2 mx/400 64mb vid card and run Win Me. Anyone know what might be causing this? Also..it used to run just fine but now it almost always crashes. Please help.

01-23-2002, 05:27 AM

01-23-2002, 08:07 PM
OK now i know everyone and there mom has had problems with open gl and winxp but i need help too..... now i have a little odd of a computer its a compaq 7360 ... like everyone has said quake worked fine with win 98 but when i tried win xp it doesn't work .... i can't find a newer driver then the one that XP has already but it still says that it can't load the open gl subsystem ... i've tried downloading the newest drivers for my vid card and the update wizard says it can't find a better match then what it already is using.... i have (you can laugh if you want but i don't have the money for a new card but) a Trident Blade 3d/mvp4 with only 8 meg for ram, its integrated too ....i know i know ..... i've also tried to download open gl installers but still no luck .... someone help me Please... i want to play quake really bad...plus i would go back to 98 if i could be xp to use my cd burner but it won't ... it says its a burner but it won't write.. i'vce downlaoded the xp updates for it too but what ever.... mostly i just want quake to work right now ...so if anyone can help please tell me....this is the driver page http://www.viatech.com/drivers.index.htm
trident sold the rights to via tech ...so please help PLEASE

02-08-2002, 06:23 PM
First of all, the GLsetup doesn't work with WinXP, so how come people are telling us to use it? I have the same problem with Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. My computer uses a voodoo3 and is winXP prof, and I also have all the driver updates. There is no 'DVA' line in win.ini in WinXP, so am I supposed to add it or not. Some person said it messes up your system if you add it?

scyther
02-13-2002, 08:22 AM
i have no idea how to open the gl at all my quake gliches when it starts plz help me if it works on win 98 how HOW does it work

[This message has been edited by scyther (edited 02-13-2002).]

prikolist
02-20-2002, 07:55 AM
I've got the same problem with Quake3arena while running Win2000prof. I downloaded OpenGL, but the question is: what should be the directory for it?
I found file called "win" in my Windows directory, but there is no line "dva=0". If anyone have clues, please type them cause I'm getting http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/confused.gif & http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/mad.gif

[This message has been edited by prikolist (edited 02-20-2002).]

02-24-2002, 08:52 AM
Solution to OpenGL problem

Get the drivers with xp and openGL support or get a videocard that have openGL support.

Idont think anythingelse works...

I have downloaded new drivers but only the xp-openGL supported driver worked.

AMD w SIS305 32m

02-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by basem:

02-17-2003, 12:15 PM
if u ever find out plz email me at ajreciever12@aol.com i have same problem

nzg
02-18-2003, 03:21 AM
zzzzz

ok u wont find the DVA line in win2k or XP.
u cant use SCITECH GLDirect cos its not a real solution.

u cant use glsetup from www.opengl.org (http://www.opengl.org) since it only works for 98 based platforms as its so out of date.

pls ppl stop repeating the same "fixes" that only work for old OS's.