PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life OpenGL problems

02-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi. I've been trying to get OpenGL working with HL, because Software looks a bit crap and Direct3D causes problems with stuttering and when resuming play. However, if I select OpenGL mode I get the message "The selected OpenGL mode is not supported by your graphics card" whatever resolution I try it at. My OpenGL settings are on default, but I can't get it working.

My system:
P4 2.5ghz
512mb RAM
AC97 On-Board Sound (latest drivers)
Radeon 7500 (latest drivers)
WinXP Home Edition

Any ideas?

02-09-2003, 01:54 PM
I get the same problem with Half-life ever since I upgraded to windows XP and I have a Geforce 4 mx 440. Man... I hope I can fix this.

DarthGreg
02-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Same problem here.

02-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Me too. I can't get the piece of shiznet to work http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif . i wonder if its the card or the HL software... i have a ge2 mx400. Gl to you guys i hope someone saves me soon!

02-12-2003, 08:12 AM
I have been playing on windows XP since it was released, i never had a problem with it, but since i bought a GF4 TI4200 i keep getting that damned message your selected opengl mode is not supported by your videocart.

I have never had that when i was using my old GF2 card

annyone knows how to solve this?

02-12-2003, 10:54 PM
i'm having the same problems too. i have a Geforce4 mx420 pci and ever since i switched motherboards, any game based on open gl freezes unexpectedly in the middle of game play. hopefully someone has a solution.

02-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Well guys your problems are from the fact that XP installs drivers automatically for you. What you need to do is go to your video card manufacturer's site and download drivers. This should allow you to play in OpenGL. XP's default driver only supports DirectX because it is a Microsoft product.

02-16-2003, 04:59 AM
i have a pentium III running windows xp and just threw in hercules 3d prophet geforce 2 mx card (agp 2x). i've installed nvidia's latest reference drivers but still the piece of **** wont work. "the selected opengl mode" blah is starting to piss me off. does anyone know where i can buy a chainsaw?

02-17-2003, 04:53 AM
*Necroscope*
- You obviously DONT know all there is to know, coz FERFUXXAKE i run win98 (personal thing LOL) - and i got same probs... Athlon 800 512ram geforce2-mx400 32mb... Tells me when i play CS that it dont run OpenGL
All i can suggest is people, steer away from funky drivers & go with the chips manufacturers drivers...
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/mad.gif

nzg
02-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Hi all, i registered on here just to help sort out this opengl bs.

Ive had the problem now for around 3 weeks, and im very annoyed, since im quite a serious gamer, and my clan has several LANs coming up that i need to practice for.

I think there are like 5000 ppl here who are getting either the "opengl mode not supported" msg in counterstrike, or couldnt open opengl subsystem in Q3... basically all of opengl is ****ed.

Well, im on win2000, with a v good system, GF4 ti4200 card. Ive tried every driver under the sun and its not drivers (unless ur retarded enough to still be using the defaults). On win2000 / XP that win.ini fix doesnt work, forget it. Also i only have the 676kb version of opengl32.dll, so i have nothing to replace it with.

I have had the problem originally with DirectX 8.1, after i formatted i put DX9 on, and it didnt help.

I have formatted and reinstalled win2k onto a clean drive, to no avail...

i really doubt its a hardware issue, since so many ppl have had this pretty hit them randomly. I know for a fact i can sometimes go for a day with no errors, and then the next day not be able to doing anything with opengl.

A far fetched idea is that its some kind of virus, altho ive run everything on my system and its clean as a whistle.

Someone mentioned using a refreshrate fix, it doesnt matter which one u use, they are all the same. The point is detonator drivers sometimes go crazy when they are run at high frequencies, like above 85Hz. I dont believe this is the problem since ive been playing counterstrike for a long time on 100Hz in 640x480 resolution.

A lot of guys mentioned that 3rd party GLDirect software, well i downloaded it and tried it, and i didnt like it. All my fonts were screwed, and it isnt really a solution, its just going round the problem.

One strange thing ive noticed is that opengl usually temporarily works after i modify a graphics-related program in some way. For instance if i reinstall DivX, or powerstrip, or reinstall my monitor drivers, i can get opengl to run until i next reboot. But of course thats no solution...

So im kinda out of ideas, nothing ive read here (and ive gone thru nearly all the posts) has helped in the slightest, but as soon as i fix it, which i will, ill share the news.

THERES ALWAYS HOPE http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

02-17-2003, 07:18 AM
I just put my voodoo3 back in, until this mess gets sorted out.

But I feel all your guyses pain...

02-21-2003, 09:17 AM
im able to play on OpenGL, but there is one MINOR defect that bugs the HELL out of me

i have an ATI Radeon 8500LE

ALL the weapon models appear fatter/distorted, and it bugs me because i worry about why it appears that way, but on direct 3d it appears fine but also laggier, does anybody know what it could be that is changing my weapon models? i have tried updating drivers already... thx

02-22-2003, 05:50 AM
All of you still having the 'OpenGl mode not supported' error should read the other posts before posting complaints. Necroscope was right about the drivers. F**king Micro$oft didnt include OpenGL in their default drivers, just to make people use their own DirectX. There just isnt any OpenGL in the drivers, so its no surprise it doesnt work. Install the drivers you got with the videocard on CD, and never bother with drivers again. The drivers from your CD *DO* support OpenGL, and you will find that they are a lot better than newer stuff, cuz i found all the newer (nvidia) drivers crash, lag or otherwise screw things up...

I dont think this is just XP, its just coincidence you put XP on and got the trouble. People using other Windows versions might have this too, although i cant know for sure, because windows 9x sux and i dont *never ever* want to use any of them again. It just affect people using M$'s drivers.

02-22-2003, 03:08 PM
If you install an old version of the Nvidia Detonator driver (around version 30 or so), it'll all work OK again. I got one from the Video driver section on www.msi.com.tw (http://www.msi.com.tw)

n1ppl3

Originally posted by Mephy:
All of you still having the 'OpenGl mode not supported' error should read the other posts before posting complaints. Necroscope was right about the drivers. F**king Micro$oft didnt include OpenGL in their default drivers, just to make people use their own DirectX. There just isnt any OpenGL in the drivers, so its no surprise it doesnt work. Install the drivers you got with the videocard on CD, and never bother with drivers again. The drivers from your CD *DO* support OpenGL, and you will find that they are a lot better than newer stuff, cuz i found all the newer (nvidia) drivers crash, lag or otherwise screw things up...

I dont think this is just XP, its just coincidence you put XP on and got the trouble. People using other Windows versions might have this too, although i cant know for sure, because windows 9x sux and i dont *never ever* want to use any of them again. It just affect people using M$'s drivers.

02-25-2003, 11:00 AM
****n MICROSoFT ,****n BILL GATES ,****, Ive got this same problem and i have to like boot every 15min when i change the server.

filo
02-26-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by nzg:
> Hi all, ...help sort out this opengl bs.

nzg, thanks bunches for your report on your problems. At least we are not alone.

> ...like 5000 ppl here who are getting ... "opengl mode not supported"... or couldnt open opengl subsystem... basically all of opengl is ****ed.

All of OpenGL here, at least under Win2000 (server edition, but that should not make a difference in this context). Under Win98SE, OpenGL works fine, so it's not a hard hardware issue.

>... Ive tried every driver under the sun and its not drivers

Same here, two different cards, all drivers from the CDs (30.82(?) & 40.72) and 29.42 to 42.30 from the net (gonna try 23.11 the next days).

> On win2000 / XP that win.ini fix doesnt work, forget it.

Yup.

> Also i only have the 676kb version of opengl32.dll, so i have nothing to replace it with.

What other versions are there?

> I have formatted and reinstalled win2k onto a clean drive, to no avail...

Same for me.

> I know for a fact i can sometimes go for a day with no errors, and then the next day not be able to doing anything with opengl.

Interesting. It never worked for me (but I always rebooted immediately after driver installation... :-).

>A far fetched idea is that its some kind of virus, altho ive run everything on my system and its clean as a whistle.

Don't think so. The NoOpenGLonWinNT conspiracy (;-)?

> Someone mentioned using a refreshrate fix, it doesnt matter which one u use, they are all the same.

No results here, too. Anyway, it doesn't work at 60Hz, too.

> A lot of guys mentioned that 3rd party GLDirect software, well i downloaded it and tried it, and i didnt like it. All my fonts were screwed, and it isnt really a solution, its just going round the problem.

Going to try this, but I don't expect much.

> One strange thing ive noticed is that opengl usually temporarily works after i modify a graphics-related program in some way. For instance if i reinstall DivX, or powerstrip, or reinstall my monitor drivers, i can get opengl to run until i next reboot. But of course thats no solution...

Highly interesting. Reinstalling monitor drivers isn't that much work, so that'd be a workaround.

> So im kinda out of ideas, nothing ive read here (and ive gone thru nearly all the posts) has helped in the slightest, but as soon as i fix it, which i will, ill share the news.

Same again.

Darn, we must narrow the problem. The applications fail at some point. Where is that point and why do they fail? Quake3 Demo prints a flurry of messages to its console when starting, before the screen goes grey and, after a few seconds, the program terminates. How can I save or just read these messages?

There is one game demo, FAKK2 namely, that gave me at least error messages (and didn't simply terminate, as all other apps did). Said something about "no valid mode found", which suggests that a refresh rate fix might help -- which it doesn't. I'll come back to post the exact message here.

> THERES ALWAYS HOPE http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

Right.

02-26-2003, 07:08 AM
I found for ONE DAY, that refresh rate change fixed all my problems.

I've noticed the amount of people with an nvidea card having this problem. I'm using an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon. My problem is an interesting one. I find that with the default microsoft installed drivers, I have no OpenGL support, but can play DirectX games with no trouble. Funny thing though, when I install new drivers, I have OpenGL support, but if I play in any other resolution than my desktop, my monitor makes a loud whistling sound, and DirectX games completely freeze my machine minutes into the game!

Now I noticed someone mentioned using older drivers, and I'm starting to go down the line of older drivers at ATI's site. Anyone with an ATI card try this? I'd like some ideas as to which drivers have the best results.

nzg
02-26-2003, 07:47 AM
filo, its good to see someone methodical on this site.

looks like we are in a similar predicament, if u wanna help me, or seek help, contact me.

im on msn messenger as "cyrusbeaumont@hotmail.com"

also on irc.quakenet.org in #esports.edge

if u want some more updated information, i can generally get my opengl working ONCE when i re-run a refreshrate program. Im starting to think it is refreshrate related, or perhaps related to my monitor.

I ordered a new PSU last night to replace my old crappy 300W one, since its not sufficient for my nForce2 mobo, pc2700 ram, athlon 2000+ and gf4 ti4200. (new PSU is enermax 431W btw)

One of my friends suggested it could be related to a lack of power, but its a longshot.

Anyways, keep posting, cos its really tedious reading about other ppl not even installing drivers for their agp cards, and ppl trying to use opengl with no graphics hardware...

nzg
02-26-2003, 07:51 AM
oh i forgot, about the opengl32.dll...

some people have been saying that there are other versions of it, probably older versions, that are different sizes.

the correst size for win2k is 676kb, i had one that was 300 and something, so i deleted it and replaced it, but it didnt do anything.

so i eliminated that option. hope this helps.

02-26-2003, 11:07 AM
WHAT I DID WAS DOWNLOAD OPENGL95.EXE FROM OPENGL.ORG, EXTRACTED THE FILES. SINCE ITS NOT MADE TO RUN ON NT I REPLACED ONLY THE OPENGL32.DLL FILE FOR THE UPDATE NT VESION. BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT WORKED FOR ME. I PLACED A COPY OF THE FILES IN THE MAIN FOLDERS OF HALFLIFE. I HAVE A ATHLON +XP2000, GFORCE MX 2 400 64MB, AC'97 AUDIO & 512MB RAM. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE, I ALSO THINK THE PROBLEM HAS TO DO WITH REFRESH RATES WIN WINDOWS. READ ABOUT IT HERE http://www.xp-refresh.net , HELPED ME.

02-26-2003, 11:10 AM
P.S DON'T FORGET TO DONWLOAD THE FIX PROGRAM FOR THE REFRESH RATE PROBLEM

Axel Foley
02-26-2003, 02:05 PM
umm when i try to install that refresh rate fix my computer freezes everytime when its installing? any suggestions. PS i am also getting that error about my card not supporting opengl all of a sudden wtf? i have a G4 64mb mx440... any suggestions, keep the replys coming guys we all need help with this... thanks

Bracholi
02-26-2003, 05:48 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive
Go to the very last 2. download the bottom one and install. Do not freak out when the Windows Icon message comes up. install it no matter what. Restart computer.
Go back and download the second driver from the bottom. Repeat all the above steps.
Than download the LATEST drivers.
(THIS IS FOR NVIDIA GEFORCE CARDS ON XP/2000

[This message has been edited by Bracholi (edited 02-26-2003).]

Axel Foley
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Will this work for win98??

Axel Foley
02-26-2003, 06:07 PM
if ne1 has AIM or icq and knows what to do lemme know cuz i need lots of help fixing this... AIM=Titleist026 and ICQ=165747523 thanks alot...

Bracholi
02-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Umm for Win98 try ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/opengl95.exe

filo
02-27-2003, 12:32 AM
And hope there is. *cough* I can't believe it *cough* it works *cough* too good to be true? Am very gespannt for how long.
[2003/02/27, 22:30 CET: It still works, after several reboots. ]
[2003/03/07: Darn, I knew it, it *is* too good to be true. OpenGL does work, yes. And It turned out that installing the 23.11 driver does reproducably make OpenGL work. However. With 23.11 installed, video overlay, whether it be in a DVD player or the MS media player or Irfanview, does not work. Installed a 4x.xx driver instead -> video overlay works, OpenGL does not. Back to 23.11 -> the other way around. *banging my head on the desk* At least this tolerable (2 points out of 5 ;-), as DVD does work stably under W98SE (as opposed to many games, which usually hang when I try to Alt-Tab out of them, which they don't under Win2k). So we can work and play under W2k and watch movies under W98. ]
[2003/03/13: Yet another update: Two days ago, I got both OpenGL and overlay (video) to work by installing the 26.53 (or was it 26.25? forgot.) It still works. Before that, I tried 29.x and 27.30, with no OpenGL, but with overlay working, then started going "up" from 23.11 over 23.12 (both with OpenGL but no video working) to 26.x, which finally gave what I wanted. Let's see which is the at-first-unnoticed flaw with this one... ]

Here is what I did last night. It worked only after the final step. Whether the intermediate steps were needed or which ones I do not know (yet, I hope).

The starting situation was 42.30, installed via its setup.exe and rebooted right after the installation (as I always did so far). OpenGL apps simply terminated without any message or console window left to tell the sad tale.

Reinstalling and uninstalling/installing the monitor drivers did not help at all at this point.

Since for some reason, the FAKK2 Demo right after its installation *did* live to show its console and displayed "Mode not found" or some such, I tried the RivaTuner refresh rate fix again. This went afoul, as after the next reboot, my display mode selection was severly limited (800x600x16colors max.). To fix this, I told RivaTuner to reset all driver settings to their defaults -- still limited.

So reinstalled 42.30, then not rebooting. No success. Reboot, still no change, and still limited display modes.

So I uninstalled the nVidia driver (via "Add/Remove Software" control panel). The display modes were back and I changed the refresh rates of all modes to 60Hz (in the advanced display properties, monitor tab).

Next I installed 23.11 via its setup.exe. [22:30: Wrong, I simply ran the exe that the driver comes in. It is some kind of install shield package. ] This went not as expected -- the driver and card combo did not work in anything but VGA mode, before reboot and after.

Baffled, I went to "Display Properties", "Driver", "Update Driver" and told the wizard ("Specify a location") from where to get the files (for this step I had unpacked them using WinZip from the driver .exe, which seems to be a self-extracting zip archive [22:30: Nope, it's an InstallShield package, WinZip can extract their contents, too]). [22:45: I forgot to mention an important bit: 23.11 does not directly support the MX440 (which I use). Windows does not find the MX440 in the driver .inf file and complains. To get to install the driver, I selected "Show all devices", then "NVIDIA" as the manufacturer and "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400" as the card. Since I don't need the latest greatest OpenGL support from the newer Detonators, I am content with this (for now). ] After installation, OpenGL *worked*. Phew. To bed I went with this small success, as I did not want to experience it not working after reboot, as I feared it would.

This morning, I could not resist and booted -- it is still working, all OpenGL apps. Didn't have time though to reboot a second time (knocking on wood ;-). [Still works -]

It seems to me that at least for my system there may be two separate issues here.

The first one (which I'll call the "mode issue") manifests itself as "OpenGL mode not supported", "No valid mode found" (which both lead to a final "Could not open OpenGL subsystem") with game engines from Id, or "Error -2 -- Fullscreen initialization failed" with OpenGL demos from steinware.dk.

The second one is that any OpenGL application terminates without a message (may be a crash).

For the mode issue, the error message indeed suggest that supported display modes, which may include refresh rates, have an influence.
I did not try yet to get it going with the current state and refresh rates above 60Hz.

TODO:

o Find out which of the changes made it work.
(Am I willing to fuss with my working system? Maybe after a few days of enjoying its working state ;-). [2003/03/07: Done, it's the 23.11 driver for me. See note almost at the top. ]

o Post exact Quake3 engine error messages, find out what they mean. [22:30: There is a similar thread in this forum about RTCW: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001736-2.html ] [22:45: I'll put the console logs in my next posting... done. ]

o Find out how to fix them. This includes understanding how exactly the refresh rate fixes work and how to revert them (get 60Hz back).

o Understand why OpenGL programs sometimes terminate silently.

[This message has been edited by filo (edited 02-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by filo (edited 02-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by filo (edited 03-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by filo (edited 03-13-2003).]

nzg
02-27-2003, 02:35 AM
Interesting comments filo,

i have found that the lower i set my refreshrate, the longer i can go before getting errors. However i have had errors at every resolution down to 60Hz.

I have run many games at 640x480 and 800x600 res both at 100Hz, for long periods of time, with no problems, which is why im baffled that it should happen almost randomly.

Another thing, the errors first started around the time i upgraded my monitor. I upgraded from a Dell 17" generic one to a Dell 19" flatscreen P992, which if anything should make achieving high refreshrates easier, since i can run nearly every resolution above 100Hz.

I got my new PSU today, the 431W Enermax, so far ive noticed far better benchmark results, lower CPU temperatures, and my games are running in opengl. I dont know if they will still work after a reboot, but im hoping http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

Axel Foley
02-27-2003, 11:07 AM
ok i found a site with old nvidia drivers (apparently this is supposed to fix this damn error message in cs) but i got to extract them and nothing seems to happen. i tried extracting them into my nvidia folder, still nothing....what am i doing wrong?? any suggestions, oh and when i try that opengl95 thing....yeah my computer freezes everytime...

filo
02-27-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Axel Foley:
... got to extract them and nothing seems to happen. i tried extracting them into my nvidia folder, still nothing....what am i doing wrong?? ...

Sounds as if you only extracted the files but did not install them. Extracting them is not enough, you'll have to let windows "take possession" of them.

Go to Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> "Your Card" -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver... -> Next -> Search... -> Specify Location (uncheck the other boxes) -> then tell it where the files were extracted to -> OK -> maybe another OK -> you may have to manually select a card here -> Next -> Finish. This list may not be 100% exact, especially on Win 95 it will look significantly different, but you get the idea.

You may want to try to run the game before rebooting.

filo
02-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by filo:
... The ... "mode issue" manifests itself as "OpenGL mode not supported", "No valid mode found" (which both lead to a final "Could not open OpenGL subsystem") with game engines from Id, or "Error -2 -- Fullscreen initialization failed" with OpenGL demos from steinware.dk.

... TODO: o Post exact Quake3 engine error messages, find out what they mean. [22:30: There is a similar thread in this forum about RTCW: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001736-2.html ]

Here you go, the entire console logs for the Q3 and FAKK2 demos. Unfortunately I do not know how to get this log copied when the engine does start successfully, so cannot compare the good to the bad case directly.

================================================== =============
Quake3 Demo console output (when it doesn't immediately terminate):

Q3 1.11 win-x86 Nov 29 1999
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\Programme\Q3Ademo/baseq3

----------------------

Running in restricted demo mode.

----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\Programme\Q3Ademo\demoq3\pak0.pk3 (1387 files)
c:\Programme\Q3Ademo/demoq3

----------------------
execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
...detecting CPU, found x86 (P5/Pentium2, MMX)

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput...
Couldn't set DI coop level
Falling back to Win32 mouse support...
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:27960
Hostname: ada2k
IP: 127.0.0.1
Working directory: c:\Programme\Q3Ademo
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'D:\WINNT\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 2: 512 384 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: failed, bad mode
...trying next higher resolution: failed, bad mode
...restoring display settings
...registered window class
...created window@3,22 (518x409)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 4, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (2)
...setting mode 2: 512 384 FS
...created window@3,22 (518x409)
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
...initializing QGL
...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

FAKK2 Demo console output (when it doesn't immediately terminate):

Heavy Metal: FAKK2 1.01 win-x86 Aug 11 2000
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\Programme\Ritual Entertainment\Heavy Metal - FAKK2 Demo\fakk\pak0.pk3 (3158 files)
c:\Programme\Ritual Entertainment\Heavy Metal - FAKK2 Demo/fakk

----------------------

Running in restricted demo mode.

----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\Programme\Ritual Entertainment\Heavy Metal - FAKK2 Demo\fakk\pak0.pk3 (3158 files)
c:\Programme\Ritual Entertainment\Heavy Metal - FAKK2 Demo/fakk

----------------------
Config: config.cfg
execing default.cfg
execing menu.cfg
execing localized.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput...
Couldn't set DI coop level
Falling back to Win32 mouse support...
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'D:\WINNT\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (646x505)
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
...initializing QGL
...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

steinware.dk demos (Base6, Shadi etc) error message (when it doesn't immediately terminate):

Error -2
Fullscreen initialization failed!

EOF

Axel Foley
02-27-2003, 04:33 PM
it worked but still nothing http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/redface.gif( http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/redface.gif( http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/redface.gif(.... has ne1 fixed this damn thing for counter strike yet its pissing me off..

Bracholi
02-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Woah. ****. You are screwed. Dude make sure your computer cables in your computer are snuggly plugged in. Run a Error Scan and Virus Scan, and a Defrag. Next you might try Uninstalling game. Reinstall game. If problem continues try unzipping OpenGL32.dll to all game files until it works. (whatever works)

[This message has been edited by Bracholi (edited 02-27-2003).]

laemir
02-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Hey can someone plz get me a link to where i can get an opengl driver for some Card i have for win2k PLZ PLZ PLZ
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/confused.gif

Axel Foley
02-28-2003, 11:48 AM
so basiclly im screwed and cs aint working anymore?

03-03-2003, 01:36 AM
I am having the same problem in counterstrike "opengl not supported by ur video card.. blah blah blah" I d/l the latest dentonator drivers but no help at all. Reinstalled Half life, no help either. Shouldn't OPENGL provide a solution??? Since it is there problem... instead of having all of us take a wild guess.

Axel Foley
03-03-2003, 11:51 AM
simon i got the EXACT same thing and i have no idea what to do. if u find any solution pleaseeeee let me know... thanks

03-03-2003, 07:32 PM
For all of you out there not as hardcore as Filo and get the old "OpenGL not supported by your graphics card" in CS,DOD, and Half-Life, the most obvious answer might help you. You can get this very error message if inside the Half-Life configuration if you have the OpenGL set to 3DFX Minidriver. That is not what you want, you want it set to default. I don't know why they have the 3DFX Minidriver option because none of my friends use it.

This is the most common and obvious answer i can find. If you have a real problem you can follow Filo's orders. However, all i know is that CS works perfectly on my computer with an old Geforce II and WindowsXP. There's my two cents.

03-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Pozan, thanks for the suggestion but that is not the case. The mini driver is not selected. It is just the default open gl mode thats having problems.

Axel Foley
03-04-2003, 11:38 AM
yeah mines on default and im still having problems...

03-04-2003, 11:02 PM
all my other games work fine but half - life on open - Gl the models look white'ed out everytiung that can move has no texture.....

nvidia better come up with some half-life patch or something becuase this is a bitch.

freeze
03-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Well, i found a really strange thing, but i can confirm that openGL problems only started when using WinXP [maybe it's the WinXP Detonators?]
Anyway, here it goes:
- Set the Res to 640
- Run HL, and let it display the error
- Use the 3dFX mini driver on res 640
- Run HL, and let it display the error
- Set the res to 800, and the other option to default driver
- Run HL, and be amazed

Now HL should be running normal, but don't you dare to touch the settings again, don't you even dare to reboot, cuz it will crash again, for sure...

Another good suggestion is - as mentioned before - don't install those 4x.xx drivers!
try the 3x.xx and all should be solved for as far as you got an Nvidia card...

03-05-2003, 04:42 PM
I have fixed all my Half-Life problems, though they may not work for you. I recently e-mailed ATI about my problem, and they offered tons of solutions. I went down the list, and did everything asked. I found the only thing that worked were some BIOS settings they suggested. Those without ATI cards, try the same thing, it may take a few days for a response, but you might be suprised by the help you get.

Here's a list of the BIOS settings they told me to check, and set if necessary.

NOTE: These options may vary depending on the type/version of your system. You may or may not have all these options. Please consider changing the settings that correspond to those listed below.

- Video BIOS Shadow and Video BIOS Cacheable - DISABLED
- C8000-CBFFFF Shadow and CC000-CFFFF - DISABLED
- AGP Aperture size - 64 MB
- AGP Turbo - DISABLED
- VGA Frame Buffer and Primary Frame Buffer - DISABLED
- PnP OS installed - YES
- Assign IRQ for VGA - ENABLED
- Resource Control - AUTO
- AGP Bus Mastering - ENABLED
- VGA Palette Snooping - DISABLED
- Disable any UCSW or Write Combine options in the CMOS
- Disable any manual configuration of PCI by setting these options to AUTO
- System Bios Cacheable - DISABLED
- Video BIOS Mode Cache - UC
- Try lowering the AGP support (i.e. from AGP 8X/4X to AGP 2X).

A second e-mail I received also suggested these changes.

- Please update the bios for your system. The bios would be available from the motherboard manufacturers website.
* Install the latest Motherboard chipset drivers. The chipset drivers are available from the motherboard manufacturers website.
- Enter your Motherboard BIOS at boot and ensure that it is configured as follows:
- INITIAL DISPLAY must be set to AGP.
- Assign IRQ to VGA should be set to Enabled.
- AGP Aperture should be set to 64MB. (From 32 to 512 MB of memory)
- Ensure that you have no cards in the TOP PCI slot. (This is the PCI slot next to the AGP slot). Always leave this slot empty as it shares resources with the AGP slot.

TheSilencer
03-06-2003, 11:46 AM
I cant open the console on half life anymore someone please tell me how to fix it

Axel Foley
03-06-2003, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Requiem:
[B]I have fixed all my Half-Life problems....

requim could u please tell me how to get to these BIOS settings? thank you..

laemir
03-07-2003, 03:03 AM
someone PLZ tell me where i can get drivers for opengl

03-07-2003, 05:26 AM
hehe... First I formatted my C: and my xp(newest detonator), then I used win2k,same problem with cs&opengl, then I installed winME ,it worked, but ME sucks, so i installed winXP again, and suddendly it worked!!! Then I installed basic driver that came with my videocard (geforce4 mx440) and Powerstrip. First time when in started pwrstrip hotkeys didn't work, and after my computer was up 2days, hotkeys started to work and then I face it--->"the selected opengl mode is not supported by your videocard".****,so I uninstalled pwrstrip and then cs worked again!!! funny http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

filo
03-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by laemir:
someone PLZ tell me where i can get drivers for opengl

From your video card manufacturer or the 3d chip set manufacturer. The chip set manufacturer usually writes the OpenGL drivers, the card manufacturer maybe makes some minor modifications. For a wider selection of drivers than are offered by the manufacturers, search the web. For example, http://download.guru3d.com/ has tons of drivers for the top 3d chip sets.

laemir
03-07-2003, 03:19 PM
My Card is matrox something milenium 200 something

7up@openGL
03-08-2003, 03:36 AM
well i had just the same problem as you had

butt there is hope they say http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif
i fixed the prob. with openGL that it didnt support the graphic card

it couse off the ****ing XP UPDATES (the hotfix!!!!!!)

you just need to do A SYSTEM RESTORE
(to the day that your HL still was working)

sow...start/accessories/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE/....you will see

after the changes it will automaticly restard your comp to the configurations of the date you chose.

WHEN YOUR COMP HAS RESTARTED!!!!!!!

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif
PLAY COUNTER-STRIKE

03-08-2003, 09:56 AM
You can get into your BIOS different ways, depending on what brand it is. The most common way is to hit the Delete key right when you turn your computer on. If you find this doesn't work, go to your computer manufacturer's website and look it up, they'll have it in there somewhere.

An update though on my post, it's stopped working again! I've noticed that many people have posted about how "fixes work one day, not the next", this has been true so many times for me. Every time I change settings, my system works perfectly for a few days, then suddenly it's the same it was before, and I have to put everything back to the way it was before the change to make it work normal. I just don't get it!

03-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Requiem:
I found for ONE DAY, that refresh rate change fixed all my problems.

I've noticed the amount of people with an nvidea card having this problem. I'm using an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon. My problem is an interesting one. I find that with the default microsoft installed drivers, I have no OpenGL support, but can play DirectX games with no trouble. Funny thing though, when I install new drivers, I have OpenGL support, but if I play in any other resolution than my desktop, my monitor makes a loud whistling sound, and DirectX games completely freeze my machine minutes into the game!

Now I noticed someone mentioned using older drivers, and I'm starting to go down the line of older drivers at ATI's site. Anyone with an ATI card try this? I'd like some ideas as to which drivers have the best results.

Im very dissapointed.Last monday ive purchased a Sapphire ati radeon 7000 64mb and DVD-rom. installation didn't get problems and runs fine in my Amdk6 400mhz, under winXP BUT when i try my favourite game: Counterstrike, im only had 15fps!(!?!,why!its 65mb VC!) in openGL640x480(as you do, im was able too).Later install Catalyst drivers from ATI expecting improve performance or such thing and it only do things get worst.Later when i was trying to run CS just didnt start.

03-08-2003, 09:58 PM
I understand ur guys pain. However i am receiving the driver compnent sizes mis-match error when i try to play CS.. is there a fix for this yet that i maybe missed if there is anything please e-mail me chiments@hotmail.com or im me on aol DJChiments PLEASE!!?!?!?!!?!?!

thanks

Shponz
03-10-2003, 08:17 PM
I too am an open GL hater. I have an old laptop by dell that uses ATI RAGE mobility-P driver. I love CS and i need opengl. I have read everyones comments and no one has a fix. Maybe someone can help me. I know that my driver supports opengl because i have the opengl32.dll, and other opengl dlls. I cant figure out why i cant get opengl to work. Ive done everything that i can think of. please email me if someone can help me fix this.

Thanx,
Shponz

Shponz
03-10-2003, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Requiem:
[B]I have fixed all my Half-Life problems, though they may not work for you. I recently e-mailed ATI about my problem, and they offered tons of solutions.

Requiem, I was wonder if you could tell me what the Email address of ATI is? Because i tried what you said in my bios setup and i didnt have any of the options you listed. So maybe they have different ones for my laptop. Thanx

Shponz
03-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Well i got OpenGL finally to work, but now when I play CS my Fps is at like 6. I tried everything in the cs consle, tried messing with the resolution, and other settings in the control panel, but nothing seems to make it any faster. Does anyone have any ideas of how to raise my fps??? Please help im so close.

Thanx

Axel Foley
03-14-2003, 11:41 AM
i dunno dude, try disableing vertical sync...that might help..

I still havent fixed mine yet. this damn error is pissing me off.. " the selected opengl mode is not support4ed by ur video card" http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/redface.gif(

03-15-2003, 02:12 AM
this error is caused on my computer when mirc is running with certain scripts (like my own script too). i think this could be the problem because everyone gets this error with different hardware and has different solutions for it but none of them seem to help. maybe it would help if all of u ppl here could try to turn any mirc of and then post if it works. for all my friends which have the error this was the solution.
the last script version of my script (1.4 Beta) worked fine and now the new version (1.4 full) causes this error for everyone who has it running while starting some game with opengl. i tried like thousand times to get it working with and without mirc running.
it doesn't work WITH mirc and it works WITHOUT. rebooting sometimes helps to get it running even when irc is running.
i'm just stating what i know here but i think i'm close to some solution.
something more i found out:
i'm usually in all 20 channels that mirc allows to be in and opengl does not work. but when i join only 3 channels it works. so another solution could just be that mirc uses too much cpu-power ? when i am in 4 channels it works for about 50% of my tries and when i am in 5 it doesn't work anymore.
but in my older version of the script it even works when i am in 20 channels and with gIRC too. standard mirc without scripts also works fine.
i am currently comparing my 2 versions of the script and trying to find out exactly what command is causing this error - at least i'm sure for now the error is NOT in the options cause both of my irc versions use exactly the same options so it has to be somewhere within the script.
when ppl now state they don't have irc and still have the problem then i think the only solution is in the cpu-cycles so try to disable and close EVERYTHING that is currently running and start an opengl game again to see if it works.
well i'm sry for my bad english but i hope this information is still of some help for you.
when i find out something more i'll come back and post it here.

Axel Foley
03-15-2003, 07:14 AM
XOR....i dont have Mirc, at least i dont think i do. so i dont think thats a solution for me...but it sounds like u may be on to something....

03-15-2003, 09:14 AM
hmm it seems that for some reason u need 100% cpu-capacity to initialize opengl.
when i FIRST start cs and then irc it works but opengl has to be initialized first.
what applications run when u start a game with opengl and what cpu u have ? i have an athlon xp 2200+ (overclocked from 1,8 to 1,9 GHz) and a geforce 4 ti 4200. so on the one hand it doesn't look if there is a problem with cpu-cycles but on the other ? how could irc use all this cpu-power ? and also the task manager shows 0% cpu-usage while irc is running.
so maybe it's more interesting to look at other resources that are much used by certain applications. too much handles ? threads ? RAM ? try to strip down ur windows to the very basic system (deactivating especially things like virus protections that run in the tray all the time or firewalls and all programs and services that usually run in the background). and then try running the game - does it work ? maybe this information could be useful to me to determine wether the error is caused by too much used resources or just some special functions that are in many programs.
to sum up things - my current theory consists of the following thoughts:

- some of the resources (processes, handles, threads, RAM, etc...) are not enough for opengl
- a special function in the windows api that blocks opengl for some reason is used by many programs (like mirc) or the programs u ppl use (could be a different one for everyone of u, assuming it is really an often used api-function)

i will now start comparing my 2 irc-versions and i hope to find out which one of the changes i made causes the problem. i hope this can tell me something more even when u don't use irc...

03-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by wildfire49:
i'm having the same problems too. i have a Geforce4 mx420 pci and ever since i switched motherboards, any game based on open gl freezes unexpectedly in the middle of game play. hopefully someone has a solution.
yo u have probably a higher demanding power supply for the mother board and the video card demands "whatever", in short u need a new power suppluy

Axel Foley
03-15-2003, 10:38 AM
I think we are fogetting here what the problem actually is. The first person to post in here said that they were getting the error "the selected opengl mode is not supported by your video card". what irc has to do with that is beyond me and are u getting this same message?

03-15-2003, 12:42 PM
i get this message when irc is running. when irc is not running everything works. this applies for 100% of my friends which have the error.
now i found the error in my script and solved it. but i have to say i don't think this solution won't help u much http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif
for irc the solution was that a timer was started too often so the mirc standard timer was overloaded. so there were created more and more threads - maybe just too many.

i'm sorry i couldn't help u more...
now it works for all my friends and they can play again.
i just can repeat that u should close ALL other applications and then try to run the game - otherwise ur cpu may be too slow :p

03-16-2003, 08:40 AM
well, i see that a lot of people are having a lot of trouble.
i have:
p3, 500mhz
192mb ram(crappy type)
200w psu
and a newly aquired geforce 4 mx440.

i run my system on winxp, and i can say that i DO NOT get the crappy message, but i do get a problem with playin in opengl in half-life.
it goes into the game, but i dont get the game in screen, i get the gay booting screen in the top left of my screen, this then requires me to have to escape from the game and reconnect, in which it then works.
i have not messed around with any fixes, refresh rates or any of that crap, all i have is the new drivers from the nvidia website, and it all works fine.

but direct x is a different matter, i get dissapearing buildings and blue flashes. wierd huh?

BoondockSaint
03-16-2003, 04:55 PM
I just bought a Chaintech GeForce4 MX440 64mb SDR and, believe it or not, my Counterstrike now refuses to work! Back to my Voodoo3? I think not.

At first I thought I had just bought a crappy card http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/mad.gif, but after reading here and elsewhere, it seems to be a general nVidia problem. I had almost given up when it struck me that in a lot of posts the refresh rate were mentioned indirectly. Someone somewhere (I forget) mentioned a fix on the VoodooFiles Website (http://www.voodoofiles.com/type.asp?cat_id=33).

Well, I applied it, ran the game, and no luck. Then I gave up on this whole thing and wanted to post a rant on a site somewhere, so I ran the game again just to get the error message right, and guess what? It works now. Neat, eh? http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/biggrin.gif

I just had to restart after aplying the fix! http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Mine works now, but it should be apparent that the fix was a bit hit and miss. Could someone else try this out and make a post if it works for you? (I have this suspicion that no-one comes back here to tell the rest about the solution once THEIR problem has been solved!)

Good luck and Great Gaming!!
Boon

What!? No HTML code allowed in posts?

[This message has been edited by BoondockSaint (edited 03-16-2003).]

03-17-2003, 06:43 AM
what patch did you download and apply? TIA

BoondockSaint
03-17-2003, 07:53 AM
This (http://www.voodoofiles.com/type.asp?cat_id=33) is where all the patches can be found. The patch for the latest detonator drivers (41.09) can be found here (http://www.voodoofiles.com/8886) .

The latest Detonator drivers and some older ones if you want to try them, can be found here (http://www.voodoofiles.com/type.asp?cat_id=4) .

Good luck.
Boon

Axel Foley
03-17-2003, 03:34 PM
umm, where did u install this refresh rate fix too becuse when i install mine it freezes at 62%.....what should i do?

Axel Foley
03-18-2003, 11:44 AM
guys i fixed it. go to start,run, type "win.ini" (w/out quotes) search for a file called dva... should say dva=0, all you have to do is put a semicolin in front so it looks like this q/out the quotes ";dva=0" everything should work now

BoondockSaint
03-20-2003, 04:08 AM
I don't have a dva in my win.ini. Which OS are you using? I'm on W2K. And, by the way, I re-did everything to make sure that it does solve the problem, and now mine doesn't work anymore. great.

Back to square one.

Boon

Axel Foley
03-20-2003, 04:10 PM
go to search and search for it. i have win98 but im pretty sure its there.. towards the bottom for me. it took me a while to find it but u should have a search option inside the win.ini file

BoondockSaint
03-22-2003, 04:47 AM
Not there man. I can post my whole win.ini here, but you're not going to find it either. How did you arrive at the conclusion that that would fix the problem? What does dva do? I've searched all the .ini files in my whole windows dir but none of them contain dva=anything. Maybe they are calling it something else?

Interesting point, I have SiSoft Sandra (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/) 's hardware analysing package, and it can test your opengl environment. It also says that it can't start the OpenGL engine. So it's not just Half-Life.

Another point, if I set my color-depth to 256 colors, then Sandra can start the OpenGL engine... Why?

Unfortunately, this doesn't help Half-Life.

Boon

Axel Foley
03-22-2003, 07:13 AM
i saw it in another post. maybe it only works for win98. i dunno much about this stuff so i really cant help you. all i know is it worked for me. sry

03-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Yo, I'm a newcomer to this OpenGL problem, and haven't tried a single thing to overcome it, which is probably a bad idea considering I might be wasting your time.

Everything is the same, Half-Life (and other mods) come up with error message. However. I have an (apparently old) ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X, which doubts the theory that this only happens to people with nvidia cards (whiever they are).

The solution mentioned recently about win.ini I tried just now (although I'm running Win2K) and I DID find an "A->dva<-nced=0" bit of code in the thingy. This other guy says he stuck ; before it, which, to my limited programming experience, I think means to nullify that line. This guy had 'dva' instead of 'Advanced' which could be that everything around the dva in advanced was deleted somehow, and nullifying the line would stop the problem. However I could be wrong, he was running Win98, remember.

I'm all out of ideas. filo, you da man, it's great how you're putting in loads of effort on this, however I think you've disappeared from this thread by now. Same goes for you, erm, thingy, Bookervicar or something, yeah.

03-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Aha, I've done a bit of rooting around and found one solution that might work. It hasn't for me, but don't let that put you off.

1. Do a search for opengl32.dll. It'll be somewhere in the deep innards of your system folders.

2. Copy this file into your .../Half-Life/gldrv directory.

3. Open up the drvmap.txt you find in there. There should be:

Default Default
gldrv/3dfxgl.dll 3Dfx Mini Driver

4. On a new line, type:

gldrv/opengl32.dll OpenGL Driver

(The "OpenGL Driver" is just a custom name. You can type whatever you want.)

5. Fire up Half-Life, go into Config/Video/Video Modes

6. Click on 'OpenGL' and on the left, there should be a drop-down box. In this select 'OpenGL Driver' (or whatever you typed).

7. OK everything, restart Half-Life and it should/could/would/might/probably won't work.

Oh well.

BoondockSaint
03-24-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the input Aday-thingy... http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/biggrin.gif

I fully have about 10 such lines in my drvmap.txt! None of them work. I've found and added OpenGL.dll files from everywhere I could find and some more at that.

However, when I was about to complain to yet another guy here today I started up the HL, and, voila! It works again!

There is no-way in h*ll that i'm doing anything to my computer now to check what caused this miraculous recovery, so good luck to all of you out there. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif

What I will tell you is the last change I made before everything started working...

Under your Display Properties, the Settings Tab, the Advanced button. (yes, we are all familliar with this). There you will find your GeForce4 MX 440 settings tab, Troubleshooting tab, among others. Click on the Troubleshooting tab, and set the Hardware Accelleration to zero. This actually caused something to break and an error message to come up. It also closed the Display Properties dialog box. When I opened it again, my GeForce4 MX 440 tab was gone.

I restarted, looked at Display Properties, and still the tab wasn't there. So I went back to troubleshooting and set the Hardware Accelleration back up to full. My GeForce tab came back. I restarted, worked some, started HL and everything worked. voila! Just had a 8 hour playing session! I'm back!

Good Luck!

Boon

ps. The opengl driver that i'm playing on is the normal Default setting (in HL), so that wasn't the solution. Also, before I did all this I put all the GeForce OpenGL settings to their absolute minimum. (Disabled enhanced instruction set, Conformant Clamping, Block Transfer, no anti-aliasing, etc.)

03-29-2003, 08:50 AM
I KNOW WHY HL SAYS "THE SELECTED OPENGLMODE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY YOUR VIDEOCARD"!!!!
IT SAYS IT BECAUSE U PROBABLY HAVE IRC RUNNING AND BACKROUND PICTURE THERE!!!!!
I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM WITH AQ2 AND IT WORKED! U CAN THANK ME AT SONNY_SOLID@HOTMAIL.COM OR #DSCR , #CLAN.FROSTY @QUAKENET

BoondockSaint
03-31-2003, 01:47 AM
Nope, no IRC. NO other programs, actually. And it doesn't seem to be able to change or be changed once the computer has been started. If your drivers refuse to initialize OpenGL, it will continue to do so no matter WHAT programs you try to start.

I've restarted my computer, and my worst fears came true. The problem was back. But I followed my own advice in my previous post and it worked again. I've done this a few times and it seems to be a stable (if annoying) solution.

If you go to Troubleshooting in your Display Properties and set the Hardware accelleration to zero, then restart, then set the Accelleration back to full, then OpenGL works. (No need to restart a second time)

It seems that if the Hardware Acceleration is set to full when the computer boots up, OpenGL dies.

Go figure.

cheerleader
03-31-2003, 09:39 AM
I decided to update to the newest detonator drivers(43.45) this weekend, and POOF! now my "selected opengl mode is not supported" when playing CS. FYI - I have a GeForce 4 TI4200. I read this post, and found several things:

1. I do have mirc, but it isnt the problem - i tried with/without it on, same msg

2. i tried the nvidia refresh fix, no help

3. i tried to reinstall my last working detonator driver, 40.72 (the one i was using before installing the brand new one)- same error

4. I fully uninstalled all nvidia drivers, did a registry search for "nv" and deleted ALL keys and values, rebooted, installed the OLD OLD OLD ones (28.84), then rebooted, then did the nvidia refresh fix (set 800x600 to 100mhz - for cs), then rebooted - VOILA!!! it worked. But.....

5. I tried installing newer drivers, 28.32, 29.42, 30.82 - these all work. I tried the next driver, 40.41, and back to the error.

My thought is that the newest driver (43.45) harcoded something into my computer that it doesnt like. I have a theory, based on nothing but hours of trying to figure this out, that the newer drivers, 4x.xx, are based on some different engine/architecture than the previous drivers. I am thinking that the old drivers work because they reference different resources, files, keys, etc than the 4x.xx drivers, and that as soon as i install a driver that uses whatever the new driver messed up, thats when i get the error.

Please let me know what you think, i will be checking back frequently. I'd love to be able to use the drivers I had been using for months on end. - 40.72

THANKS!

cheerleader
03-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Let me give my system specs, in case this helps anyone:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
512 SDRAM
40 gig HD
GeForce 4 TI 4200
Windows 2000 - something to note, right before i tried to upgrade my detonator drivers, i had done the windows update, and installed about 30 "critical" updates. CS still worked after this, until installing those new detonator drivers...
I connect thru dsl via a NAT router

Thanks for any input you might have! I really want my 40.72 driver back in working order!!!!

cheerleader
04-01-2003, 06:50 AM
Ok, now i know its totally random. I uninstalled the driver that i had gotten to work, and reinstalled the brand new detonator drivers and VOILA it works. I tried to go back to my old drivers, 40.72, and got the error. So, in my opinion, there is no "FIX", just alot of messing around until you shake something loose.

Good luck!

04-02-2003, 05:59 AM
Right, from being a frequent cs'er since the 'olden' days of 5.2,ive managed to find next to NOTHING problems wise.

And in all that time ive survived on a voodoo 3 2000 16mb with constant 99fps

In that time, i was using win98se, then upgraded to ME.

Until recently, i upgraded my pc to something like this : 2400+athlonXP,60hdd,256mbddram,gf4mx440

And windows xp professional edition...

Basically the only cure ive found is simply this : format your entire hardrive, and reinstall windows ME (the most stable and reliable windows imo) and backup everything... then reinstall cs and viola.

Next,whip out the XP cd, wipe your ass with it and then set fire to it, and simply watch it burn.

Conclusion : xp is simply TOSS for opengl games, not only that, but you get a lovely mouse bug for your troubles...

Trust me, it works and btw, NEVER EVER use xp again

and for all of you saying ME is ****, say that to me again after comparing it with the utter ****e that is xp

/rant

04-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Run dxdiag.exe in /system32 directory then go to display tab then under directx features disable the 3 acceleration options and then immediately enable then. I ran the tests before I did this then disabled and enabled and it solved my problem. I have to do this everytime I update Directx or my nivia drivers other wise I get "openGL not supported for this card blah blah"
I am using a GF4 ti4200.

cheerleader
04-08-2003, 03:08 PM
i have found my solution:

there is a service running called "Nvidia driver helper service"

if i stop it, i can install any driver, and cs runs fine.

give it a shot, easy enough to try right?

04-16-2003, 04:54 AM
i recently got a p4 2.53ghz, 512ddr ram and geforce4 mx 440.

i get exact same problem as everyone else, it doesn't run opengl.

on any game that doesnt require opengl it runs phat. but trying to run opengl with games like HL and Wolfenstein, it just doesnt work at all.

ive spent the last hour reading all these posts and trying the different solutions but nothing seems to work.(although im dling the old 28.84 atm to see if that works, but i have a feeling that it aint gonna work)

If anyone comes up with any new solutions plz email me at l0bster@hotmail.com

PLZ HELP ME I WANT TO PLAY CS ON OPENGL

and by the way, whats a good burning program for getting around blocks, ive tried clone cd and nero on an original gta3 cd and although it completes the burn, when i try to run the game it keeps asking for me to insert the cd. and all gta3 cd cracks ive found require cd2.

04-16-2003, 06:14 AM
SOLUTION FOR XP OPENGL PROBLEM

1. Download and extract the 28.84 driver

2. From the Start menu, select Settings.

3. Select Control Panel.

4. Select System.

5. From The Hardware Tab Select Device Manager.

6. Under Display adapters, double click the name of your graphics card

8. From the Driver tab select Update Driver

9. Select "install from a list or specific location" and then click Next

10. Select "Dont search. I will choose the driver to install" then click next

11. Select your graphics card and click "Have Disk..."

12. Choose Browse go to the location where you extracted 28.84

13. Select the nv4_disp.inf

14. Select your graphics card from the list and install

15. You'll have to restart your comp, when it reboots u should be able to play opengl games.
though i dont know why people crave for the opengl mode on cs, i get a higher fps on d3d than opengl and opengl looks only a little better.

(By the way, my graphics card was not on the list in step 14, i have a geforce4 mx440, i had to choose mx420 but it still seems to work ok)

With this method i do experience one minor problem with cs, when i first start a game, instead of going into the game it goes into a menu screen where u select customize, Play cs and configuration etc...
but only there is no mouse cursor and no buttons to click on, all i do is hit Esc twice and the proper menu comes up, then i just hit resume and it goes into the game with no probs.

i hope this has helped you, all ive done is taken other peoples advice and maybe explained it a bit more.

Lobster,

streetryu
04-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Thanks, BoondockSaint, it worked as you said! I have win2k, gfmx400, direct8.1, detonator 41, etc. It was amazing and puzzling, but I can finally play CS!!!

Originally posted by BoondockSaint:
Nope, no IRC. NO other programs, actually. And it doesn't seem to be able to change or be changed once the computer has been started. If your drivers refuse to initialize OpenGL, it will continue to do so no matter WHAT programs you try to start.

I've restarted my computer, and my worst fears came true. The problem was back. But I followed my own advice in my previous post and it worked again. I've done this a few times and it seems to be a stable (if annoying) solution.

If you go to Troubleshooting in your Display Properties and set the Hardware accelleration to zero, then restart, then set the Accelleration back to full, then OpenGL works. (No need to restart a second time)

It seems that if the Hardware Acceleration is set to full when the computer boots up, OpenGL dies.

Go figure.

Aliens-8-MyDad
04-23-2003, 06:36 PM
hey i got a probelm, mabey someone can help me. when i run Halflife it only lets me use software video decoding i tried every setting but it says that my video card doesnt support it. i have a herculese prophet 4000xt 32 mb pci video card. i have the latest drivers and i cant get it to work. there is a video card on the mother board with 4 mb ram and its AGP bus (its also made by intel) and it will let me play the game with opengl, its slow and im not taking advantage of my new video card. someone please help me!

Aliens-8-MyDad
04-23-2003, 06:39 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=764897
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=764900

04-25-2003, 03:36 AM
i've got ur answer about openGL and half life!!!
Try to copy the file "opengl32.dll" from "c:\windows\system" to your HL (mod)
or CS (retail) folder. If there's already such a file, simply replace it.
Make a backup copy before doing so!
hope it will do the same like it helped me...

04-27-2003, 05:32 PM
I had the same problem, and it wasn't only with Counter, with other opengl games too...well, I found that a program that was running as a service (matlabwebserver) on my WinXP system was causing the problem, I disabled it and it solved the problem... maybe you may be running some program that causes some crash with opengl...

DrakeDuck

04-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Hello! I'm back from...umm...wherever I went.

It seems Boondock's solution has been the most sucessful so far, so I'll try that and report back. Otherwise, I'll have to keep running in software...sigh...

One thing that's bothering me. If you want better graphics in OpenGL, get a better video card. If you want better graphics in Software...what? Get a better processor? It's impossible to upgrade graphics in Software? Any idea?

04-29-2003, 04:32 PM
I don't even hve the opengl32.dll file, is that bad?

BoondockSaint
04-29-2003, 05:08 PM
lol @ Adam Black!

I suppose you could... but y? Your CPU will ALWAYS want to rather spend time doing other things like trying to figure out what the hell you are trying to shoot at!

Graphics takes up a LOT of CPU time. Which is y you spend R900 ($110 ?) on your 2gig CPU and R1900 ($225 ?) on your grapics card!

My method works for me every time. And since i go weeks without turning off my computer, it's not even that annoying anymore.

At least i can continue to upgrade to the latest detonator drivers as well!

BoondockSaint

05-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, I have a question. I am a big Sprite editor person. And well, My sprites do not work under open gl. when i say to make the white (or whatever color i choose) to be transparent, it isn't and instead covers up part of the screen (such as crosshairs, there is a box of color that should be transparant. any help on this? e-mail me at vaktoth715@hotmail.com if you have any helpful suggestions.. thanks

05-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Whenever I play half life or any of its mods I get this wierd Vertical sync choppiness which shouldnt happen.I have an ATI Hercules 9700 Pro and some of my friends with any invidia card this doesnt happen to them but all my friends with ATI cards get the same thing anyone no what the problem is????????

05-12-2003, 12:21 PM
I had this problem until browsing this thread, when I installed the newest drivers From: http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/41.09/41.09_win2kxp.exe *over* my existing auto-installed WinXP drivers, and then executed the nVidia refresh rate fix, and rebooted.

I run Windows XP with a GeForce 2 200 MX - if anyone else is running that combination, might as well give this a shot.

05-21-2003, 05:28 AM
LET EVERYONE KNOW, for XP users with nVidia drivers, that a service called Nvidia Driver Helper Service NEEDS to be disabled, thereby fixing said problem that has plagued the world of counterstrike within Windows XP!
I have done like everyone else, frantic search on net, updated drivers, tweaked till my hearts content, no avail! Came across a Service within XP that was running cancelled it, took my hunch to my CounterStrike Icon, clicked, woot woot, I was playing about 5 hours non-stop!! Hope this solves your probs as well, maybe same type of service running for other Graphic Cards!

Servility!

05-22-2003, 05:39 PM
how do you disable it?

05-25-2003, 08:56 AM
Ummmmm.....ok i just searched for opengl32.dll and i dont even have it http://192.48.159.181/discussion_boards/ubb/mad.gif How can I obtain this file?

Sparky
05-26-2003, 01:24 AM
/quote
For all of you out there not as hardcore as Filo and get the old "OpenGL not supported by your graphics card" in CS,DOD, and Half-Life, the most obvious answer might help you. You can get this very error message if inside the Half-Life configuration if you have the OpenGL set to 3DFX Minidriver. That is not what you want, you want it set to default. I don't know why they have the 3DFX Minidriver option because none of my friends use it.
This is the most common and obvious answer i can find. If you have a real problem you can follow Filo's orders. However, all i know is that CS works perfectly on my computer with an old Geforce II and WindowsXP. There's my two cents.
/quote

Poznan, thanks for this - I checked CS and I was trying OpenGL with the 3DFX minidriver. I changed it to default, and bang, problem solved - CS works in OpenGL. You're a genius.

Cheers!
Sparky

06-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Necrowhatever was right, the problems you people have with XP is that it automatically installs drivers which do NOT support opengl, just go download the newest drivers from your video card company and it SHOULD work. :-)

06-03-2003, 07:10 AM
One more thing, if you have an Asylum card, i recomend you upgrade to nVidia's newest detonator drivers as of June 3, 2003, which are here Detonator Drivers 44.03 (http://www.nvidia.com/content/license/location.asp?url=http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/44.03/44.03_win2kxp_international.exe). ATI's driver download page is here! (http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html). Have fun with those. If you have an old 3DFX card, good for you, get origional or 3rd party drivers at Voodoo Files (http://www.voodoofiles.com/category.asp?x=13). http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

06-03-2003, 07:15 AM
the 3DFX midi driver is for 3DFX cards! Duh! You can't use it unless you have one.

06-07-2003, 12:55 PM
hi.. i'm a guy from italy :> well, i've this problem, and it looks like a common one http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif but i see something that nobody wrote:

i install my half life - then i patch it to 1.1.1.0... the game starts, i watch the intro and then the menu appears; well, every choice i make, it comes to a reset -_- no error messages, nothing at all: just a reset when i click on anything http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/biggrin.gif

i've tried all the aforementioned tricks, nothing gained...

ps: i own an amd 2000+, 512 mb ram, XP Pro as OS and a geforce 4 mx 440.. am i really the only one with resetting problems? http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

bye..

06-07-2003, 02:04 PM
hey i play c-strike and have the same probs just that my dad reinstalled xp and now my video card isnt working can u help me?

06-08-2003, 03:29 AM
Just to let you know I had the same problem. I have a GForce4 Ti4600 with the latest drivers on XP and was getting the same message as the first guy. After reading through I tried selecting Default as my OpenGL driver and now it works a treat! http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks everyone!

06-08-2003, 04:27 PM
hi to all ive got a problem with the open gl games counter and quake 3 cs works but is damn too slow and quake 3 shows me the first menu (solo multi...) but is at 5 fps...
i'm under win 2000 professional 256 sdram a tnt2 m64 with the latest drivers (44.03) and a pentium 3 at 700 mhz
i wonder why it is so slow quake doesnt work at all and cs is really slow on some screens(on the player map for ex)
anybody who can help me? i think putting old divers won't fix the problem but i haven't read all the posts yet if someone can help me...please thans in advance

06-08-2003, 06:51 PM
ever since january i think, ive kept getting problems joining servers while in OpenGl mode. I switched to D3d and it worked, but my crappy pc sucks too much to use d3d. I always get "bad challenge" or "connection timed out" and stuff like that.
current pc Specs:

AMD k6-2 500 mhz
128 mb ram
Geforce 4 mx420 videocard
Latest driver on mx420 (44.03)
Windows 2000 Sp2 (had sp3, still didnt work)
running directX 9

it use to work fine, now i dont know what the problem is.

any help would be appreciated.

06-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Matlab ****s up open GL settings in Counter-Strike.

This is not going to solve problems for many of you becaus most of you are stinky little kids who dont use matlab but anyway.

Matlab open GL rule Counter-Strike open GL.

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

06-12-2003, 03:18 AM
Hi guys!
I have also been having problems with running opengl with my TI4200 card.

This may or may not help!

1) Enable 'view all files' in your explorer options

2) In the game directory look for the file

'opengl32.dll'

3) Remove it to another directory like 'temp'

4) Run the game again

This will cause the game to use the OpenGL drivers supplied with your new graphics card not the standard ones!

Its worth a try!

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif

06-13-2003, 02:14 PM
... if I select OpenGL mode I get the message "The selected OpenGL mode is not supported by your graphics card"

Any ideas?[/B]

Hi folks,

I had the same prob (Geforce 4 MX440 runs OpenGL-programs in Software-Mode only) until today.
I couldn't believe, this problem would be this easy to solve... if you know how!

Look in the WIN.INI, if there is a line saying

DVA=0

Delete this line (or set a ";" in front of it).
OpenGL should then run in superfast hardware mode...
Glory Hallelujah...

06-17-2003, 11:40 AM
look in found solution open gl or other areas for the solution... the message mod keep deleting it though.... u download scitech gldirect and then get a crack.!!!!!!!!!!!111

06-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Thanks Academic! I found that there was a Matlab service running which chewed up OpenGL. I disabled the service and it's all good now. But like you say, most of this lot wouldn't have clue what Matlab was for ... but if you do, give the above a go! It'll also save you about 30MB of resources.

StickyVelvet

06-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Formatting the hard drive, changing the entire OS just to get one game to work is ludacris.

Everyone that hates XP needs to get with the times. 98, Me, 2000 etc are all STILL good OS'es but the most modern is XP. Its the Os that soon ALL new comps will be shipped with unless you special order. So we need to work with it.

Also all my other open GL games work with a Geforce 2 400 mx card. Its half life and its mods that are being gay.

Logically this SHOULD be handled by Sierra or Microsoft since its these two culprits that arent "getting along" in the OS.

The bad thing is these two programs make the card look like it isnt working.

Ive tried everything you could possibly do PLUS stuff from these forums.

The only thing to do is slap the old Voodoo3 PCI 16 meg card back in and get good frames and graphics and not be able all the new stuff that comes out. (Wolfenstien ET just wasnt made for a 16 meg card for example)

06-30-2003, 07:38 AM
im having a problem of my own:

When i try to connect to a server it "Connection Accepted etc. but after it doea the 'Server #X' part, it freezes and i have to reboot my computer. (Geforce4Ti4200, Windows XP: latest nvidia drivers...i have also tried playing with earlier nvidia drivers but to no avail)

CoeXisT
07-22-2003, 12:31 AM
My problem is I was getting 100fps with my 128MB Ti4200 on my Win98 900Mhz 256Meg mem comp, and now I'm getting 60fps with the same card in my WinXP 3.06Ghz 1Gig mem comp.

I AM able to play in OpenGL mode, but I want to get to the OpenGL menu under properties/advanced/gf4ti4200/opengl

BUT the opengl menu never pops up...I've tried a bunch of drivers and can't get to that menu. Please, I just want to turn off vert sync and enable some other stuff...HOW HOW HOW with XP? thx

[This message has been edited by CoeXisT (edited 07-22-2003).]

07-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by CoeXisT:
My problem is I was getting 100fps with my 128MB Ti4200 on my Win98 900Mhz 256Meg mem comp, and now I'm getting 60fps with the same card in my WinXP 3.06Ghz 1Gig mem comp.

I AM able to play in OpenGL mode, but I want to get to the OpenGL menu under properties/advanced/gf4ti4200/opengl

BUT the opengl menu never pops up...I've tried a bunch of drivers and can't get to that menu. Please, I just want to turn off vert sync and enable some other stuff...HOW HOW HOW with XP? thx

Download Nvhardpage and RefreshLock from Guru3d.com

The first for enable hidden settings
from the Detonators drivers.The second for adjust the refresh rate (60Hz bug).

CoeXisT
07-22-2003, 11:15 AM
OldLady you are the coolest! That was EXACTLY what I needed. Steady 100fps all the way. THANKS! (I didn't download the refreshlock thing but still get 100)

07-23-2003, 07:14 AM
THE HALF LIFE ENGINE WAS NOT MADE FOR THE ACTUAL VERSION OF OPENGL BUT ONLY TO WORK FINE WITH THE 3DFXGL ...

AS SOMEONE SAID GET THE LATEST VOODOO VIDEO BOARD THEN RUN THE GAME IN 3DFX !!!

07-23-2003, 07:30 AM
Other solution there => http://techsupport.vuinteractive.com/techsupport/sierra/support.asp

Ray
07-24-2003, 05:02 PM
yo dude i got the same problem opengl not supported... i have windows 98 and my video card is Ati 3D Rage Pro (atir3) whatever that is but i need some help man!!!

07-25-2003, 07:05 AM
Hi,

I'm having the same problem everyone's having here. One day I just opened my Counter-Strike and OpenGL wouldn't work. I've tried everything people have suggested here and nothing has worked. At the beginning I really didn't mind Direct3D that much (I still got 100 fps and I actually performed a bit better) but in the whole installing drivers uninstalling drivers thing, now direct3d gives me spikes from 20-30fps, and I just can't play like that.

If you got the problem solved already, please keep on sharing what you did so that others can try it.

I'm running WinXP on a P4 2.4 GHz and I have a Geforce4 MX 420

Dav1sLi
07-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Servility:
LET EVERYONE KNOW, for XP users with nVidia drivers, that a service called Nvidia Driver Helper Service NEEDS to be disabled, thereby fixing said problem that has plagued the world of counterstrike within Windows XP!
I have done like everyone else, frantic search on net, updated drivers, tweaked till my hearts content, no avail! Came across a Service within XP that was running cancelled it, took my hunch to my CounterStrike Icon, clicked, woot woot, I was playing about 5 hours non-stop!! Hope this solves your probs as well, maybe same type of service running for other Graphic Cards!

Servility!

how do you disable it? where is it?

08-02-2003, 08:42 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Servility:

-------------------------------------

This can be located by going to start>run>msconfig: services > and unchecking Nvidia driver helping service, click apply and reboot. I have no idea if this works but according to the previous message it does

08-02-2003, 10:58 PM
ok i solved my problem. i just underclocked my graphics card and everything works fine. im assuming that my mobo couldnt take the graphic load or something but whatever it works now and thats all that matters

10-03-2003, 03:04 AM
ive been having problems with my new geforce4. none of the console games work because of a problem with openGL. ive tried many things to try and fix this problem. however i recently disabled the geforce in the advanced display options. when i restarted the computer i found that there was no display on the monitor after the initial load up screen (video cuts out at the point you have to put your password in). the computer works but there is no sound. so i need some keyboard instructions on how to access this option and turn my geforce back on with no monitor. if anyone can help me, email me some instructions to lukeprime@hotmail.com PS im using XP

10-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Hmmm.. about the solution of turning off the Nvidia Help something..
I am running Asus GF4ti, and have same problem over Windows 2003 Server, but couldnt find any thing like Nvidia under processes of msconfig.. hope someone know how to get the game work under win 2003...

if u do, please - send me email on:
genadi@newmail.net

thanks in advance

10-29-2003, 07:20 AM
I can't tell you how thankful I am for your post. I've had matlab installed for over a month without playing anything opengl so i had no clue wtf was going on when OGL today didn't work. I've crawled forums all over the internet for 2 hours and then your post comes like a punch in the face. It all suddenly made sence. =)

Originally posted by DrakeDuck:
I had the same problem, and it wasn't only with Counter, with other opengl games too...well, I found that a program that was running as a service (matlabwebserver) on my WinXP system was causing the problem, I disabled it and it solved the problem... maybe you may be running some program that causes some crash with opengl...

DrakeDuck