PDA

View Full Version : Computer Restarts By Itself

magikjak
04-16-2001, 05:09 AM
System Stats:

Pentium III 500 MHz, 96MB RAM, 17 Gig HD, DVD-ROM & seperate CDRW Drive, Win98se.

Problem: Whenever I play counterstrike, quake 3 or any computer game, my computer restarts. I can't even get into the game, they all restart. For example counterstrike, I'll double click on a server, then my screen will turn black, and restart! Can someone please help me?

04-17-2001, 10:32 AM
This is weird, I have a 500 mhz PIII, 128 megs ram, an ATI Rage 128 Xpert 2000 3D accelerator -- 32 megs, 20 gig hard drive (7 gigs left). I also play Counter-Strike and other Half-Life mods. Everything used to run perfect in OpenGL mode... until last night. I can't think of anything I did to make it stop working, it just sort of stopped! I spent all this morning downloading new drivers, deinstalling the old ones, and installing the new ones, and even tried getting beta ATI drivers. Nothing works. I have similar results when I try to run the game in OpenGL mode -- sometimes, the computer just resets when I try to load a level, and other times, it just hangs at the console for about 5 minutes and when I finally get into the the actual game, the frames per second is at around 1 frame per 15 seconds. Like I said, everything worked fine yesterday (and all last year for that matter), but it just stopped working.
To see whether or not it was the game or everything that uses OpenGL, I tried some small OpenGL games I have like "Disasteroids 3D," and a 3D *.mdl viewer. The frame rate is incredibly bad. I've tried everything, but nothing seems to work. Please help me!

Michael Steinberg
04-17-2001, 11:20 AM
Hey, guys, I wonder, but did you ever try to reinstall windows?

04-17-2001, 12:34 PM
lol, well that might fix it but I'd rather not go and do that, lol. It only started happening to me yesterday so I'd rather wait a little bit and try other things first, but thanks for the idea.

magikjak
04-17-2001, 01:05 PM
Thanks, yeah, I tryed using opengl, d3d, and the software features in counterstrike, none of them work, my computer still restarts. Someone at work suggested that I upgrade my system BIOS. Well..........thanks again, and if I ever get back onto counterstrike, what is your s/n matt. Mine is [MP5]Eater of Babies. Thanks again!

04-17-2001, 01:35 PM
Believe it or not, the name I use is "Matt Cal - Open-Zelda.com[TG]" I play at The-Group ([TG]) CS server at 63.119.211.15:27015
I tried playing with software rendering this morning but it's just no good in comparison, so I'm in the same boat as you. Wish you luck!

04-09-2002, 10:36 AM
Perhaps your GFX card is on its last legs.

yakuza
04-09-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Quantum:
Perhaps your GFX card is on its last legs.

Dang, how did you manage to ressurect a thread from almost a year ago? http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif