PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL Crashing.

Alastair Grant
09-30-2000, 12:43 PM
I am getting really rather annoyed now. I am a great fan of Counter-Strike, but I can't play it because Half-Life keeps locking up. I believe this to be an OpenGL problem, as Quake III does the same.

I get a complete lock-up, the game, mouse, keyboard, windows, the lot. The only way to fix it, is to reboot. The crashes appear to be completely random, when HL locks I get the last sound looping, consistent with a complete crash. If I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del I sometimes get a BSOD, others I don't get anything and I have to resort to the reset button.

I have the latest HL patches etc, I run on Windows 98 SE, with DirectX 7.0a. I also
have the 6.31 drivers for my GeForce. And the latest 4 in 1 Via drivers.

Spec:

1GHz AMD Thunderbird
Creative GeForce 2 GTS
Abit KT7 Motherboard

I am completely stumped to the problem. I have tried disabling everything in my BIOS that I don't NEED to boot. Even tried under clocking my CPU to 500 MHz. I have formatted, and reinstalled, still no luck.

I don't seem to be the only person with this problem, but nobody has offered a
solution that has helped me. ANY information will be great.

Cheers,

Alastair Grant.

10-03-2000, 10:26 PM
I have the exact same problem. I have a PIII 800 mhz, 128 mb RAM, VisionTek Geforce2 GTS, I've tried all the Nvidia reference drivers, directx 7.0a, disabling other components, etc. I can't play any openGL app without it crashing within seconds and in CS, if I get it to load it loops the last sound and freezes as well. In D3D mode I get flicker. If you figure anything out PLEASE e-mail me: dsbailey@ucsd.edu

Originally posted by Alastair Grant:
I am getting really rather annoyed now. I am a great fan of Counter-Strike, but I can't play it because Half-Life keeps locking up. I believe this to be an OpenGL problem, as Quake III does the same.

I get a complete lock-up, the game, mouse, keyboard, windows, the lot. The only way to fix it, is to reboot. The crashes appear to be completely random, when HL locks I get the last sound looping, consistent with a complete crash. If I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del I sometimes get a BSOD, others I don't get anything and I have to resort to the reset button.

I have the latest HL patches etc, I run on Windows 98 SE, with DirectX 7.0a. I also
have the 6.31 drivers for my GeForce. And the latest 4 in 1 Via drivers.

Spec:

1GHz AMD Thunderbird
Creative GeForce 2 GTS
Abit KT7 Motherboard

I am completely stumped to the problem. I have tried disabling everything in my BIOS that I don't NEED to boot. Even tried under clocking my CPU to 500 MHz. I have formatted, and reinstalled, still no luck.

I don't seem to be the only person with this problem, but nobody has offered a
solution that has helped me. ANY information will be great.

Cheers,

Alastair Grant.

10-03-2000, 11:02 PM
I finally fixed it!!! Just install your 4 in 1s in normal rather than turbo mode!! Woo hoo!

Alastair Grant
10-04-2000, 06:22 AM
There doesn't seem to be a "normal" option, there is only Standard, Turbo, and Uninstall. Is it Standard you selected, or do you have a different version of the 4 in 1's? I am using 4.25a IIRC.

I put it into Standard, but that doesn't seem to help. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/redface.gif(

Alastair Grant
10-05-2000, 04:15 PM
I have flashed my BIOS, and it seems to work now. So, try that people, get the latest BIOS update.

Gacster
10-14-2000, 03:48 PM
I have the EXACT same problem...... Its driving me nuts!

10-14-2000, 10:53 PM
I have the same exact problem, and very similar setup:
750 Tbird
Abit KT7-RAID
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!
-SethDude-

Alastair Grant
10-15-2000, 02:37 AM
I don't know if I have fixed, my system is generally more unstable now, and Half-Life
does crash, but I get a good few hours of playing in before anything screws up.

I have removed the Via 4 in 1 AGP drivers totally. To do this run the 4 in 1 setup, and when you get to the AGP section, select Unistall VXD.

Hope this helps you too.

CyberFlux
10-16-2000, 06:04 PM
Grrrr. This is soo annoying and stressfull. Here are my specs as follows: ASUS P3V4X Mobo, 256 PC100 SDRAM, Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 32MB, & a Trinitron P990 19" monitor. I play a lot of mods of Half-life and can relate to this problem about crashing and freezing up on you. I've had problems like this in the past including Q3A. BTW, I use WinME, and seems to me that Windows just plain ol' doesn't like OpenGL in general. I have had HL and Q3A working fine with WinME before with no problems whatsoever. I had to revamp my comp. because of HD problems. Well, to tell you guys the truth I've had it up to here with this ****, excuse the language. I tried all those problems that you guys posted and none of them seem to work. I'll keep ya guys posted if I find an answer to all this mayhem. In the meantime, please take the time to e-mail me at CyberFlux14@hotmail.com if you have any comments or suggestions. Out...

Alastair Grant
10-17-2000, 05:35 AM
I have yet to try WinME, but I still get the crashing under Windows2000, so I am inclind to believe the extra support is built into these versions. With Win98 I just uninstalled the AGP driver.

Thought this leads me to believe it's the fault of VIA. Alas, their next version of drivers (4.25a) aren't going to fix it, as I have been using a leaked copy of this, and it doesn't help.

CyberFlux
10-17-2000, 10:52 AM
I really don't know what the problem is. I do believe that Win2K and WinME have the same problems with Half-life. As for the VIA 4 in 1 drivers, I tried un-installing it and and when I rebooted WinME recognized the VIA drivers. That was really wierd and I don't know what caused it. The only thing I can think of is conflicts with openGL and Windows in general. I'll keep you posted if I find anything to solve this problem. Please E-Mail me at CyberFlux14@hotmail.com

paddy
10-19-2000, 02:31 AM
I can also suggest you guys set the AGP APERTURE SIZE to 32 or even 16 MB in your bios. This can solve freeze issues with nvidia cards.

10-19-2000, 07:06 AM
I have exactly same problem - unstable, locking up UT and Quake III.
I have Hecules Prophet II MX on Athlon MSI K7 Pro motherboard.
I've got latest AGP drivers and bios flash.
The VIA 4 in 1 won't work cos the chipset is AMD751 and AMD756.
I orginally tried with Win2K and gave up. Then switched to WinME, again no joy.
Now on Win98SE and still problems.
Tried original Detonator 2 drivers that come with gfx card and all other Detonators from 6.18 to 6.31. (full uninstalled between each)
I've even reformated drive and started again.
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif Nup!
Please can some magic fairy grant my machine the power of 3D graphics.
Until such time I'm stuck with 'Software Render' or crashing on game startup.
W1zz

CyberFlux
10-19-2000, 07:42 AM
Well, I'm somewhat relieved as to finding a way out with this problem. I went through just the AGP VXD driver installation once more and set the mode to standard rather then turbo. Yipee it works! It doesn't freeze. I would prefer to use the turbo though and of course you still have that potential of it freezing so its not really a solution but temporary. Once again, I did this with WinME, not sure about other versions of Win. As for the apateur size, I really don't wanna mess with that because of previous experiences. I tried enabling [FAST WRITE], AGP size, blah blah.... but that just made it worse for me. I get a garbled display when WinME boots up and screws up the registry for WinME Ehk!! Anyways, I contacted ASUS about their drivers, but I don't think it has to do with the mobos. I will try contacting Nvidia; although, I don't think thats the cause of the problem either.

So this is what I got so far. Hope that temporary solution works for ya guys. In the meantime keep me posted as well as I.

My E-mail is CyberFlux14@hotmail.com
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

10-22-2000, 11:37 PM
I've sort of got mine to stop crashing buy switching the 'Hardware Acceleration' setting in to 'Basic' in the Performance section of Display. My only problem now is that I installed MSI Drivers for thier Geforce II MX graphic card and I've can't get the drivers out now to try standard Hercules ones. (Todays task).
That and the fact that I know my card isn't running at full speed. But at least the freezing and crashing has stopped.

10-23-2000, 08:59 AM
I gots the same prob, especially under CounterStrike/HL. Switching to VIA standard did nothing, neither does messing around in my Mobo (P3VX) BIOS. All my drivers are up to date.
The problem only surfaced 3 mo. after I started using the card, so maybe my card is bad? Hercules Prophet SDR.
Fix anyone?

10-23-2000, 11:38 AM
I fixed it!
Don't mess with the VIA turbo or whatever. Just make sure that your Card is not sharing an IRQ with any other card or major thing. You'll need to rearrange your cards in the slots or mess with your BIOS for this. YAY! I can blow people's heads of in CS again!
Bye all

Alastair Grant
10-27-2000, 11:50 AM
My GFX card isn't sharing any IRQ's. And I personally can't get Half-Life to work without TOTALLY removing the AGP driver. Even on "standard mode" it still locks up.

To add to my problems Half-Life will now not even start a game, but produce a BSOD. The only way to get rid of this seems to be install the AGP drivers, so I get back to square one.

Although, I think the latter problem also happens with DirectX, because when I run the DirectX Diagnostic 3D thingy, it crashes as well, with a BSOD.

This is getting more and more fustraiting. I brought the most expensive gear I could lay my hands on for the pure reason I thought it would work without trouble. Obviously not.

11-01-2000, 10:56 AM
Hello!
Try this for Q3:install the via 4 in 1 drivers but when the setup asks what do you want to do about VXD driver, check "unistall via VXD driver".
It works for all OpenGL games as Q3 or FAKK 2
Bye

Alastair Grant
11-01-2000, 12:11 PM
That's what I tried, and it worked, but I began to get the BSOD.

I am pleased to announce that I have fixed it though (again). The problem just kept coming back worse and worse until my computer was flooded with BSOD's. It fell over and lost it's Registry and SYSTEM.INI.

Windows recovered something from somewhere, and there was the minor issue of having to reinstall some things that had lost it's settings.

One problem I did come over was VIAGART.VXD, the old registry was pointing towards this file. Well, I found a very interesting looking Turbo string which was set to 1. Which is odd, because I turned it off.

Silly little me deleted the registry file when everything settled down. I *think* it's located at:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\VIAGART]

People may want to have a look

WARNING: If you screw your registry, you screw Windows. Backup USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT before changing anything, and work out how you are going to put the backup's in place when Windows won't start.

11-04-2000, 07:27 PM
Well I have a reg. Athlon 600mhz and a microstar MS-6167 mobo, along with a Diamond Viper 32mb Ultra. Mine freezes almost all the time during opengl games such as q3 halflife and others. Whats the problem here?
Cant play a game for 30 min without it crashing. It seems to be a real serious problem, yet no one has come up with a REAL fix yet.

Alastair Grant
11-05-2000, 02:27 AM
Until the developers address this problem, I seriously doubt anybody will find a real solution.

I believe the culprit to be the VIA drivers. If your motherboard doesn't use a VIA chipset then please say, although I don't think the problem is the same as ours.

You can to try and remove the VIA drivers. You can do this by running the VIA 4 in 1 setup, and making sure you Uninstall the AGP drivers.

You won't be able to use some tweak programs because they won't work properly without the drivers. But Quake 3 and Half-Life work perfectly without it, so do all other OpenGL and Direct3D apps. ALL my problems with games have been solved by removing them, and plucking out the registry key mentioned above.

HTH

11-05-2000, 01:20 PM
Nevermind you were right it was not related... I found mine was a network related problem. After disabling my network card q3 and halflife didnt freeze once which leads me to believe the network card is faulty in some way.

Alastair Grant
11-05-2000, 01:25 PM
What make is your nic?

I have a Trust one, and that locks my computer every 10 seconds (or something) unless it isn't plugged into a HUB.

11-05-2000, 09:30 PM
Hello

Youve possibly have a IRQ-sharing problem.
The conflict doesnt have to be shown in the the properties. It just appear when you
have played a while.
Be shure that your Graphiccard and network card have IRQ on its own. Maybe you have to diable plug n play in bios. If you doesnt have free IRQ´s you can inactivate the com ports and use theirs IRQ´s.(only if you have a internal modem).

11-06-2000, 08:01 AM
My isp @home provided me with a DLINK DFE-530TX, which is a pretty cheap card. Thelv, it does not show any irq conflicts in the properties, I will try the bios settings.

11-06-2000, 10:06 AM
Sorry I was in a bit of hurry.
I mean your cards properties in the the device manager.
Look at the resources it have to be there.
An easier way its to download sisoft sandra(its free)there you got all info you will need. http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra

Some computer also show it in a easy way in bios but most of it doesnt. Dont rush.

11-06-2000, 10:15 AM
Sorry again. I see youve already got it.
Well make sure your graphiccard have one IRQ on its own and your D-LINK have one on its own. Nothing should be shared with them.
A easy way to see this is sisoft sandra.

cu

11-08-2000, 04:15 PM
hey all
ive had the freezing problem that matches the one in the first message of this series
i think microsoft has released a temporary fix for it until its been fully tested in the windows 2000 service pack 2 thats coming out soon, its for via chipset motherboards which ive noticed most of you have. the problem was due to a total lack of support for via chipsets.

get it at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q261/6/06.asp

i hope this helps i personnally havent tried it yet but you can just uninstall it if it goes wrong (WINDOWS 2000 only... I think)

11-08-2000, 10:02 PM
Great!!

About time.

11-09-2000, 10:35 AM
Just to add to my message that i posted yesterday i think via 4 in 1 drivers do more harm then good uninstall them and if your running windows 2000, if you get any add new hardware screens after uninstalling them use the drivers in windows 2000 because it will try to get you to install the via drivers again, just use other drivers from microsoft in your "found other drivers that may work" thingy at the hardware install screen, as it may search for the best recommened drivers, but those will be the via ones form the 4 in 1 install

11-13-2000, 05:51 PM
(My PCs specs are earlier in this thread under a post from the same name.)

I tried the fix that Ironman suggested. It seemed to work, I got a couple hours of play after installing the patch. But still, the same crash occured, completely froze and the sound looped. Sometimes I can still toggle CAPS but if I hit the Win keys or Ctrl+Alt+Del the PC stops responding.

I hope someone figures this out, I can't even play with D3D. It sucks so bad! First off, it's ugly as all hell. Secondly, the refresh rate doesn't vertical sync, and it also does this very weird "drunken" lag. If I don't cap the FPS at 60 with "fps_max 60" (like if I go to 100) the lag is amplified and I feel like I need a couple beers to cancel out the lag.

Luckily, with the official 1.0 release of CS, they changed all of the models and made them so ****ing ugly I don't really even want to play anymore. I heard news of 1.1 that may fix this or that I may be able to replace the models with the beautiful old ones. This glimmer of hope for a restored CS is enough that WE REALLY NEED SOME OPENGL HELP!!!! Someone please help us!

-SethDude-

CyberFlux
11-14-2000, 08:54 AM
Ohh great!! www.asus.com (http://www.asus.com) is shut down DAMMIT!! As for the fixes I really don't care anymore, just as long as it works for me. I was reviewing what you guys were saying to do this and that and blah blah.. Yes, I bet we've all tried it before. It really depends on your computer and how your setup is. All I can say is Windows is not the best OS in the world. I'm sure many of you would agree along with those annoying BSOD's. Anyway I'm drifting off the subject here. I hope this problem will be solved soon, and I won't even bother contacting asus in general/tech. I have received no E-mail whatsoever in 3 months LOL! My agrivation is now tempered. KAPUTS!! I will still deal with the situation at hand though and will keep ya guys updated. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif

11-14-2000, 02:41 PM
look in your BIOS for a setting something like "assign IRQ to VGA", and conflict problems should be sorted out.
I run P3500
creative GF2 GTS
384MB pc100ram
300W PSU
never any problems except when I use NVIDIA reference drivers , they always cause problems and then only D3D..

11-15-2000, 03:33 AM
I have:
AMD 800 (non T-Bird)
K7V
ASUS GEFORCE 256 32mb
THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM

I just found this (from asus) at another site:

From the QA Testing, we have observed potential issues when nVidia GeForce-based AGP VGA adapters are installed in an AMD K7 motherboard with Athlon processor and AMD-750 core logic chipset. This chipset cannot run AGP 2X/4X with command and data in the same cycle, which is one of the functions featured in nVidia's GeForce 256. To solve this problem, it is recommended to use driver 3.62 or newer available on ASUS website. The driver will detect the AMD 750 chipset and set the AGP bus to 1X.

That would explain the turbo mode deal.
Turbo mode just means you are running at 4x speed, and normal or standard means 2x/1x

pretty lame huh?

I also just tried the new Detonator Drivers and Counter-Strike didn't detect OpenGL at all. Before I could play in OpenGL, it just looked crappy.

You all might want to check out Computing.net
They have a few discussions on this as well. One guy fixed a similar problem by installing drivers in a certain order.

INDICATOR
11-17-2000, 10:40 AM
I seem to suffer from the same problems as u guys, except that my grapic used to work without a problem, suddenly one day after months several months the goddamn opengl and d3d applications started to freeze well at first they froze just for a short while but after a while this lead to completly freezing the system which forced me to reboot my computer. Well this problem have gotten worse now. As soon as i try to run quake3 it freezes in the game menu!! Somtimes i can enter the game and it freezes within a minut or 2. The most odd thing is that the bloody computer have started to freeze in windows!! damn i have spent 2 days to solve this problem mixing withing the setup etc etc (though i dont know what the hell one should do in there http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif)

Ok well i got a 5169 mobo from microstar a amd k6III 450 geforce sdr.

The windows freezing thing started reacently when i had a pcmcia card installed in the isa port. i changed the setup to configure for optimal settings. yeah there i go now windows wont freeze again. But it has one time or 2 times though. Well but now i cant play any games any more cus they will freeze after a few mins.

Is it possible that i could of changed soething important in the setup for this problem to arise? if so give me some examples of what i should do

well i have the latest mobo bios graphic drivers. everything except this gl setup.
Could this solve the problem for me?
Is it worth spending the 3 hours downloading this huge file?

Ok i could solve this problem by buying a new computer and belive me i would do that if i would have the cash to do so, but i dont. I cant live without playing my favourite game quake3! I would be satisfied to have the problem solved to the old freezing once in 3-4 hours or so, but now i cant even get the damn game to work.

This is odd cus there was a time when it didnt freeze at all!

11-18-2000, 08:33 AM
When I istalled a new motherboard and processor, none of my opengl games load, they get to the title screen and then just exit back to windows immediately.
My specs are:Thbrd 750,Aopen mk33 motherboard,Geforce2 gts.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

12-01-2000, 03:58 PM
Well the new Via 4-in-1's are out (4.25 Dec 1st) I installed them, did nothing, actually froze faster this time in Counter-Strike, Im only telling you guys this cause a lot of you have said you have Via mobos (www.viatech.com) as I do and I just want to save you guys some installing and downloading time, but then again everyones comp is a little different so, you could try I suppose. Personnaly I think they do more harm then good as I said before.

Alastair Grant
12-02-2000, 01:01 PM
I have recently made the foolish mistake of reinstalling the drivers to try and fix another problem. This just made things work.

I am going to reinstall Windows 98 tomorrow, and my advice is DO NOT install them. Put them in an encrypted folder and forget the password. That way you won't download them because you already have them, and you won't open because you won't be arsed to find the password.

You don't NEED them to run Windows, or Counter-Strike. You may not be able to use some of the tweaking programs for your AGP slot, but then, I have everything enabled through manual regsitry entries and BIOS tweaks.

Save yourself the grief, don't install them.

12-05-2000, 12:34 PM
I am having the same problems as all of the rest of you guys. I'm running Windows ME on an Athlon 600 using FIC SD11 mobo. My problem is with the GeForce2 MX. I have tried Windows 2k, Windows 98 SE as well. Interestingly enough Unreal Tournament ran on Windows 2k using OpenGL mode, but crashed on ME/98 using same. Furthermore, ONLY UT would work using Windows 2k. Quake 2, Quake 3 and any other game that used OpenGL wouldn't work. I flashed my bios, tried both with and without 4 in 1 drivers. Tried several versions of the Detinator 3 drivers. I recently discovered that if I do NOT use the detinator drivers, Unreal Tournament ran, but REEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYY slow. We're talking not playable, but....it didn't freeze either. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them.

Special note: My mobo uses AMD 751 frontside and VIA 686A backside.

Alastair Grant
12-05-2000, 01:37 PM
The question is, have you tried a clean install without touching any VIA drivers. I did a format and install of Win98SE the other day, I haven't installed any VIA drivers, just the detonator 3.34 drivers.

Everything works perfectly. If that doesn't help, I don't know then. Most of us have problems with the Via 4 in 1, I am not sure your problem is realted.

NB: Just unistalling the Via drivers DO NOT fix it. You have to format.

HAL 1000
12-06-2000, 11:31 AM
Has anyone tryed downloading SCITECH GL DIRECT utility package from there website,( you can download it with out paying) that allows Opengl-based games and applications to access 3D hardware acceleration using Microsoft DirectX drivers.
It might help it might not!!!! - try it!! - if you have'nt already!!
See ya!!!!!!
www.scitechsoft.com/scitech.GLDirect (http://www.scitechsoft.com/scitech.GLDirect)