PDA

View Full Version : OPENGL BASED GAMES CRASH!!

brew
07-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Hi there, I have recently bought a system which is P4 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, HTT etc,
PALIT Daytona Geforce FX 5600,
I have windows XP, DX 9.0b, 1 GIG of PC400 DDR ram (running at Dual Channel)
Gigabyte GA-8PENXP board.
Ok, so when I run any game which uses OPENGL, after a varying time (approx 5 to 10 mins), the screen goes blank, monitor switches off and PC locks up!)
Please help!
I disabled the support for enhanced CPU instruction sets in display properties and the games no longer crashed, but then I had no real OPENGL lighting did I??
I would be grateful of any help guys!

al_bob
07-31-2003, 10:45 PM
Which driver version are you using? Did you try 44.03 from the NVidia website?

brew
08-01-2003, 05:32 AM
Thanks for replying AL_BOB, I have all the latest drivers for my system ( Motherboard, bios, chipset etc, my Video Card Driver is currently the latest one from the PALIT website, it is version 4471.
I have tried using the Detonator Pack 4403 from NVIDIA, but this does not remedy the problem :-(
Games that crash (as described previously):
Quake 3, MOHAA, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Neverwinter Nights

Games tested that work fine:
Delta Force Black Hawk Down, Unreal 2.
Hope someone has a solution before I take PC back to where I got it.

brew
08-01-2003, 05:48 AM
I forgot to mention my system has on board AC97 audio, and serial ATA HDD via Silicon Image ATA controller, maybe this affects OPENGL??

V-man
08-01-2003, 10:09 AM
----I disabled the support for enhanced CPU instruction sets in display properties and the games no longer crashed, but then I had no real OPENGL lighting did I??
I would be grateful of any help guys!----

That happened to me but only on Win98. 2k and NT are OK. I dont use XP.

I dont think any game out there uses opengl lights. They all use light maps.

Maybe you should use some program to test SSE and 2D now! instructions. Google for benchmarks.

azuremagi
09-06-2003, 01:05 PM
I have a slightly different system and the PNY 5600 but I am running into the same exact problem. Anyone have any ideas?

09-14-2003, 07:59 AM
i have a similar problem
i odwnloaded zoo tycoon demo and it works fine
but some action games stop on the main menu and theres squares
somone lpease help

09-21-2003, 07:26 AM
I have exactly the same problem. My PC crashes during every OpenGL-Game after some minutes. Please help!!!

09-22-2003, 07:53 PM
I just wanted to add that I am having the exact same problems discribed by BREW. I haven't been able to find any way to fix it. I have tried the obvious, newest drivers, etc. Any other insight would be great.

Specs:
Athlon XP 2100+
Asus A7V8X board
512 MB PC2700 DDR ram
PNY Geforce FX 5200
WinXP

09-23-2003, 03:41 AM
Have you considered a heat/power problem?

For heat, remove the case of your computer and put a fan blowing right into the case... then play your games.

If lockup, consider additional cooling.

09-23-2003, 07:05 AM
I don't think it's a heat problem. I played Morrowind with the highest Details and everything for several hours and it didn't crash. But Warcraft 3 crashes even with the lowest Details and 640x480 after a few minutes.

09-23-2003, 11:50 PM
I agree with GHOST. My first guess was heat too. So now I run the computer just like you mentioned, case off with huge-a** box fan pointed in. No effect on the OpenGL games, they still crash. I also ran the Mersenne Prime searching program. Where essentially this number cruncher just slams the CPU and the memory. The CPU and MB heat did climb, but not outside of excepted bounds.
I tried doing what BREW did (...disabled the support for enhanced CPU instruction sets in display properties...). All this did was delay the amount of time (~20-30 min) it took my OpenGL game to crash. By the way the OpenGL game that I am having particular trouble with right now is Jedi Academy, in case anyone was curious.

09-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Yep, I am having the exact same problem..
I have tried the following:

Reformat (twice)
Both Detonator and Omega drivers
VIA Chipset update
BIOS Update
DirectX Update
tried updating to SP1 with all addons..
tried not updating to SP1 with all addons
Cleaned all dust out of my graphics card fan
Reseated my memory
Reset my bios (three times)
Lowered my FSB
Reseated my graphics card

I am running

Athlon XP 2700+
Volcano 9
GeForce 4 TI 4200 128 MB
KT3 Ultra2

09-25-2003, 05:07 AM
If anyone is interestet, this is my Computer(forgot to send it last times): Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2x256MB DDR-SDRRAM (Infineon) running on CL3-3-3-8, Palit Daytona nVidia GeForce4MX440 8xAGP 128 MB, MSI K7N2GL. I have the newest drivers for everything.

09-25-2003, 05:08 AM
If anyone is interestet, this is my Computer(forgot to send it last times): Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2x256MB DDR-SDRRAM (Infineon) running on CL3-3-3-8, Palit Daytona nVidia GeForce4MX440 8xAGP 128 MB, MSI K7N2GL. I have the newest drivers for everything.

09-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Everyone, I found this in another section of the forum. I went ahead and tried rolling back to OpenGL 1.3 drivers and that seemed to do the trick for me. No more crashing. I have tested it too extensively yet. So if you can go ahead and try out these older drivers and see if that solves your problems. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

"I posted this on another opengl area but I thought I would pass this info on this one too. OpenGL 1.4 does not work with XP (or does not work period). I hve XP and I had the latest drivers (which 1.4 was installed too). I decided to install earlier version with version 1.3 because all my games worked on it before. Viola. MOHAA and Alice works beautifully. So copy this link to install NVIDIA drivers from the archives. Choose the one that mentions Open GL version 1.3(1?) and it should fix a lot of the problems. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
Hope this helps?" -YoMAMA

09-26-2003, 12:12 AM
I tried to do it. I nearly destroyed my hole computer when trying to delete Detonator 45.32 (Never use "Driver Cleaner 1.9!!!). It will probably take a bit till I have solved that problem. I will tell you whether it works as soon as possible.

09-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Can anybody tell me how to delete a Detonator completly?

10-28-2003, 09:36 PM
Did any of you notice that same thing you all have in common? I used to have the same problem when I had my nvidia card as well. Now I have a radeon 9700 pro and it never locks up. Ever. So if you really want to fix the problem with open gl go ATI. Radeon has better benchmarks anyway.

10-29-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi,

Maybe microsoft has released some kind of bug disguised as a patch which causes windows to crash when opengl the biggest and strongest rival to directx runs. By the way i have am athlonxp 1800 with 256 mb ram & 40 gb hard disk withan on board 3d accelarator card of just measly 8mb vram, but all my opengl games run just fine. Your problem cannot be as simple as just a driver problem, what you should do is use windows default drivers , i.e you guys should first uninstall you pride that is your 3d accelarator cards, remember uninstall but not disconnect them from your computers, use microsoft`s default opengl32.dll for running opengl apps in this case games. then run your cool games uncooly i.e at 640X480 resolution, see if that heat up a thing little bit and go on to increase the resolutions and other settings as you feel like. Once you have ascertained that the native win32 dlls work fine with your games without installing the 3d accelarators cards driver, repeat the same process again after installing the respective accelarators card drivers, again if possible (and this definitely a must for win xp users), initially use the default driver that win32 shows you for your respective 3d accelarator card, and hopefully you should be able to play your games.If you do succeed the second time in installing your 3d accelarator hardware using windows/win32`s default driver, i.e the driver that windows automatically uses for your respective 3d accelarator, then proceed to testing your 3d hardware for the second time and your pc for the 3rd time ( no i am right look, first you test your pc with your 3d hardware uninstalled so the 3rd test for your pc is the second for your 3d hardware, got it? ), by installing the driver supplied by the corresponding manufacturers of your 3d hardware, and please don`t use updated drivers, use the original drivers and for those have updated drivers, if you have`nt gone loony, then you can proceed with the fourth test, and mind you i am not kidding you. But please do bear in mind, that after windows 98 se all oses supplied by microsoft are nothing but a step towards ultimate world domination ,-) LOL, but seriously use win32 i.e windows 98 se if possible because all the latest versions of windows and basically NT , after all after ME win98 line is dead and xp and 2003 server are basically user-friendly variants of NT, will attempt to hog your entire computer resources and for those who have norton 2003 internet security installed can also verify that almost each and every application (even one such simple such as Ms Photo editor)by microsoft tries to access the internet network oops the internet (he he he sorry!!!), So win 98 se is still the best (and i think i will be switching back to dos). And Linux is definitely an attractive to option to the do all thing yourself type, which also includes me.Mail me but not junk mail me @ ifandnotif@indiatimes.com
Bye for now and i am very serious about the above mentioned test and way of testing, please remember testing/debugging is a very time intensive thing and DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT BE RUSHED, so if anyone chooses to try out above mentioned instructions,please have one thing first of all "PATIENCE" and if you have been reading till this far, then i for one definitely have some faith in your patience ,-)LOL AND I AM NOT A MICROSOFT HATER BUT I DON`T LOVE IT EITHER.
Ace

10-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Hello there friends.

I am another user who tried EVERYTHING and nothing was helping me out.

I have AMD 2600+ and Radeon 9800 and Asus A7V8X motherboard.

When i play any OpenGl game it hang ups after 5sek -20 mins... When i play warcraft 3 i can play about one minute...

Is there any help for us......?

Thats not the heat problem... all demos for radeon 9800 works perfectly (Direct X 9.0)

10-31-2003, 12:15 PM
Im having the same problem Guys, one thing I am having the same problem with game lock up, most common on blizzard games i might add, but I noticed that we all seem to have in common is that we all have athlons, im no guru on computers but could the processor have anything to do with this?

Im running:
2000+Athlon Xp
512 DDR ram
Geforce 4 Ti4400

10-31-2003, 01:42 PM
I've been having problems with Q3 engined games as well: after 10 to 20 minutes of play (on- or offline) or watching demos, the screen would freeze and I could do nothing else then reset the PC.
What was odd is, I could still hear my teammates speak on teamspeak2 (voice program).

[Just to be complete: what started it all was, I needed a third hard disk. The guy at the PC shop fried 7 hardware items instead, I needed a new motherboard, graphic card, hard disk (2...), dvd player, network card, soundcard...]

After I had all the items I began installing everything again. Fortunately I have lots of backups, no problems there.

Now this problem came, freeze in game...
I tried all of the following: disable soundcard in bios (onboard sound), underclocking cpu, underclocking vid card, change AGP 8x to 4x, install other vid drivers (also the ones that always worked fine on my old vid card), upping the voltages in bios just a bit, set adjustable cpu fan to max, run memtest=ok, run sisoftsandra=ok, etc...
Still the same problem and if you have to reset 4 times during a single game, I can tell you it annoys the hell out of me...

I forgot to install the mouse drivers, did that. At a point I wasn't sure I installed the vid drivers with firewall and antivirus closed, so did that too.

Old setup + (new setup in brackets):
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP motherboard (MSI MS-6590)
Leadtek Geforce 3 Ti 200 (XFX Geforce FX 5600)
Soundblaster Live (AC97 onboard sound: C-media 8738MX)
512 DDR333 (same)
30 + 60 GB harddisk (30 + new 120)
Windows ME (same)
AMD 2000+ (same)

It's not a good sign so many people have the same problem...

tEd
11-03-2003, 11:54 PM
all too farmiliar...

I have the same problem and its driving me nutts.. i ve tried other graphics cards and the same problem occurs.. ive found that texture detail increases the problem for me, and if i use a Gforce2 instead of an fx card it takes longer for the fualt to happen. after its happened, it usually will go within seconnds or up to ten minutes of play. Done the Usual.. reinstalled.. reseated processor.. and replaced conductive gel.. 2 years old. replaced memory.. Havn't replaced power supply... but voltages are reported as ok.

I dont get a blank screen.. i jump to desktop.. sometimes the game will not load back up.. and i get the occasional reboot. i have had some freezing.. for about 5 - seconds too. Mohaa and spearhead. the CoD demo also freezes with a recusive sound loop playing.. or jumps to desktop.

I havnt tried any direct 3d stuff.. i dont think.. But 3dmark03 also jumps out..various stages.. i will try 3dmark01 with my gforce2 and post my findings too.

I thinking motherboard component? but cant be sure.. My cards work fine in my other machine.

ted

11-09-2003, 02:04 AM
I have had the same problems. I initially formatted Win XP Pro three times, disconnected from the internet (no spyware, disabled Antivirus, etc. and clean installed to ensure that there was no spyware present. I had:
AMD 1900XP
Soyo Dragon Plus
1GB Mushkin 2100
Ultra 160 SCSI 36GB x2, 9GB x1
Jaz 2GB
Adaptec 39160 card
Gainward Ti 4600 XP/128
Philips Acousitic Edge
Plextor CD-Rom SCSI
Plextor CD-Rw SCSI
Lian-Li case, modded (never gets more than 10-15 F over ambient in there)
WinXP Pro, fully patched
MOHAA
BF 1942
Diablo 2 LOD
Unreal 2

I don't really overclock much, and I came to the conclusion that my SCSI card was too picky, and that's why games were suddenly crashing left and right. I decided to go with a new set up (yeah, the SCSI gear is in a box, any offers?). I bought-

P4 2.6C 800
Asus P4C800-E mobo w/875 chipset
1GB Mushkin 3500 Stage 2
SATA 36GB 10k x 2 Raid 0
SATA 120 storage HDD
Lite-On 52X CDRW
same video card
same sound card
same case

Well, after all of the patching and pain, guess what? SAME PROBLEMS!!! I borrowed a friends 9800 Pro to see if that would be the solution, but noooo... I had disconnected the sound card in rig #1 and #2 and used no sound, on board sound, and the Philips, and I had the same results each time. This is really peeving me beyond words...no one has a solution. The Nvidia OpenGL thing doesn't work...I loaded a fresh copy of WinXP on my 120 GB drive just to be a testing drive...I've reformatted/reimaged that 4 times, too. I'm pretty good at this stuff (I will be showing my age, but I started playing games when they were loaded from cassettes...I know about conflicts (IRQ, etc.) and they aren't there. I need some help before you see me on some bridge...ANYONE? Nvidia? Microsoft? Intel? Blizzard? EA?

I can run AquaMark and Futuremark 3DMark2003, so what gives? Help?

11-09-2003, 08:51 AM
I get my OpenGL games shutting down the same way : Jedi Academy, Wolfenstein ET, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 ... have encountered a problem and must close . You should report this to Microsoft ( Yeeeeees, of cooooourse ! ), after 2 seconds to 2 hours ; I have not understood again on what depended this time. Apparently, the texture quality is important, but not determining .
But on Half-Life and Unreal Tournament 2003, it works very fine !

I changed my graphics drivers ( nvidia 4403, 4523 and 5208 ), still have the same problems . My graphic card is a GForce 4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X .
Resetting the BIOS changed nothing .
It's not a overheating problem .

Apparently, a lot of guys suffer this problem ... The only valable explanation would be a problem between OpenGL and XP, but I have doubts about it ...

Please, help ! ( remember Lilu in the 5th Element ... )

11-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Same problem here. With a Diamond Viper V550 Quake 3 runs OK, but with a GeForce 2 GTS the game runs smooth in the beginning, but then starts to gitter and suddenly crashes (not to desktop, but fatal). I'm running Windows 98 on a pentium 2 400 MHz, but the problem lays with the Geforce, 'cause the Viper does work. Seems to be OpenGL related, but does somebody know how to fix it...?

tEd
11-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Well, sony have given me some feedback on this, they told me to update my motherboard chipset drivers..www.viaarena.com they have a 4 in 1 driver. the latest driver includes support for AGP 3.0.. previous versions did not.

I Am now convinces that the problem is network or protocol based. I mainly get jump to desktop when other machines on my lan are also playing on the same server. Does anyone else use a router? with other people playing the same game?

CoD wich i am now playing also stops.. but the developers have put in an error code for this... and its some thing like server could not interperate request.. or garbled data. If you look back to my last post, i showed a windows application error that i got, (the remote computer did not respond to the request.. or some thing like that.. sounds likke the same thing to me.

I know that some systems have trouble with QOS (Network connection protocal) "Quality Of Service" LOL, wondering if this could be one of them.. i'm going to switch it off and see what shakes loose!

ted

ssb2121
11-11-2003, 01:57 AM
Seems that this problem with CoD has to do with the 5600 and 5200 card series. I have a 5600 Ultra and I get crashes all the time, usually nvoglnt.dll. This is nvidia's driver causing the error rendering Open GL, but what exactly I have no clue.

Peter**2004**
11-13-2003, 10:25 AM
hey in know the solution to ur problem i had the samg thing on my other computer. what u have to do is format and reisntall ur windOws then u wont be gettingg that problem anymore--this problem has come to u from downloading things that have ==bugs in them u, u know what i mean glitches and this affects ur games and does **** to ur cmoputer --so my suggestion format+ reinstall windows=Problem solved

simonator
11-17-2003, 03:17 PM
You guys, as mentioned about, all seem to have something in common: AMD Athlon processors and NVidia graphics cards. Apparently there's some problem with AGP programs crashing. Apparently it's related to your pagefile, and Windows trying to extend it during a game or something. In any case, this link may help some of you out. The exact same thing happened to me and this solved it. My system:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
GForce MX440
1gig Kingston DDR RAM PC3000
40hhd + 80gig hdd
Asus A7N8X motherboard

So if any of you have similar systems it may help. My crashes after 5 minutes or less when playing Star Wars Galaxies, and even with full screen Flash animations!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...NoWebContent=1] (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q270/7/15.asp&NoWebContent=1])

11-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Stratos1:
Did any of you notice that same thing you all have in common? I used to have the same problem when I had my nvidia card as well. Now I have a radeon 9700 pro and it never locks up. Ever. So if you really want to fix the problem with open gl go ATI. Radeon has better benchmarks anyway.

I run an older Radeon 7200 on a Tbird 1ghz with 512 memory on a cheap mobo with SB Live mp3+ 5.1, all my games lockup and thats the only thing that makes it lock up, it runs 24/7 but when I play games I get anywhere from 2-30 mins of playtime before I get a Hard lock, no BSOD or reboots, but a looping sound hard lock, "reset button is a well oiled machine" on my pc. any help would be appreciated

11-20-2003, 09:09 PM
Nobody is mentioning what Brand and type of Power Supplies they have.

Looking at some of the system specs some of you have, if you don't have over 400watt power supplies then that I think is a possible contributor to your problems.

11-23-2003, 05:01 AM
I have the same or similar problems as you guys. I have a Intel P4 2.6C on an Asustek P4P800 Deluxe motherboard with 2 X 512MB DDR 400 and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. When I play Black Hawk Down my PC would hang and the screen turns black. I've had no problems with Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness.

I am wondering if the problem could be with the RAM as mentioned by someone in another forum.

Does anyone have any answers to this strange phenomenom??

11-24-2003, 10:39 AM
i'm having the same problem, but nothing seems to fix this issue, so i'm kind of staying away from opengl games until this can be fixed 100%.

11-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by blackvise:
I get my OpenGL games shutting down the same way : Jedi Academy, Wolfenstein ET, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 ... have encountered a problem and must close . You should report this to Microsoft ( Yeeeeees, of cooooourse ! ), after 2 seconds to 2 hours ; I have not understood again on what depended this time. Apparently, the texture quality is important, but not determining .
But on Half-Life and Unreal Tournament 2003, it works very fine !

I changed my graphics drivers ( nvidia 4403, 4523 and 5208 ), still have the same problems . My graphic card is a GForce 4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X .
Resetting the BIOS changed nothing .
It's not a overheating problem .

Apparently, a lot of guys suffer this problem ... The only valable explanation would be a problem between OpenGL and XP, but I have doubts about it ...

Please, help ! ( remember Lilu in the 5th Element ... )

Hmm, I dont think WarCraft 3 requires OpenGL because my OpenGL is terrible (only 1.1 works) and WarCraft 3 works perfectly for me.

11-24-2003, 01:24 PM
i get this exact same problem http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif

11-25-2003, 10:39 AM
Hi. My graphics card is a ATI RAEDON 7000 VE, with 64Mg RAM. Call of Duty worked fine until I've installed DirectX 9.0b.
The message is:
COD 1.0 build win-x86 Oct 5 2003
----- FS_Startup -----
Current language: english
Current search path:
D:\Call of Duty\main\pak6.pk3 (3 files)
D:\Call of Duty\main\pak5.pk3 (4858 files)
D:\Call of Duty\main\pak4.pk3 (1668 files)
D:\Call of Duty\main\pak3.pk3 (1992 files)
D:\Call of Duty\main\pak2.pk3 (694 files)
D:\Call of Duty\main\pak1.pk3 (2642 files)
D:\Call of Duty\main\pak0.pk3 (12828 files)
D:\Call of Duty/main
D:\Call of Duty\main\localized_english_pak1.pk3 (3736 files)
localized assets pak file for english
D:\Call of Duty\main\localized_english_pak0.pk3 (1204 files)
localized assets pak file for english

File Handles:
----------------------
29625 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
execing config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III
Measured CPU speed is 2.40 GHz
System memory is 512 MB (capped at 1 GB)
Video card memory is 64 MB
Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) supported

----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\opengl32.dll' ): failed
...shutting down QGL
Forcing 640x480 resolution to allow OpenGL to run in fullscreen
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\opengl32.dll' ): failed
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
Could not load OpenGL. Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your video card from the manufacturer's web site.

Since then, neither Call of Duty nor MOHAA works.
I've installed catalyst drivers 3.9, and the patch, from ati.com.
żAny help?
Thanks.

Orcinus
11-27-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by SpongeBob:
I have the same or similar problems as you guys. I have a Intel P4 2.6C on an Asustek P4P800 Deluxe motherboard with 2 X 512MB DDR 400 and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. When I play Black Hawk Down my PC would hang and the screen turns black. I've had no problems with Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness.

I am wondering if the problem could be with the RAM as mentioned by someone in another forum.

Does anyone have any answers to this strange phenomenom??
I have a Club3d Radeon 9600Pro, MSI 875P FIS2R, 2x512Mb DDR400 RAM, P4 2,6C, and THE SAME problem.

The temporary solution is to set the AGP from 8x to 4x, because the Radeon 9600 series cards have same compatibility issues with a few motherboards (e.g. 865, 875).

Related link: http://mirror.ati.com/support/infobase/4219.html

12-05-2003, 03:25 AM
I have a Club3d Radeon 9600Pro, MSI 875P FIS2R, 2x512Mb DDR400 RAM, P4 2,6C, and THE SAME problem.
The temporary solution is to set the AGP from 8x to 4x, because the Radeon 9600 series cards have same compatibility issues with a few motherboards (e.g. 865, 875).

Hi Orcinus,

Thanks for the tip. I will try it out. Will let all know if it works or not.

Thanks again

SpongeBob

12-05-2003, 11:15 AM
OMG please help we have the same problem we have PNY 5600s running on P4 1.5 768 ram and intel board tried the driver thing not working. Tried the Case thing not working. tried brand new cards not working.. Please

12-05-2003, 08:19 PM
I've been experiencing this problem as well. Tried most of the tricks too, 3 different systems, replaced the vid card. Only difference is sometimes I can play for 6 hours non stop, then other times only 15 minutes til I have to reset. Monitor hibernates, sounds fade and system locks up.

ghetto card- PNY 5600FX

System specs:
P4 2.4 (zantec cooling)
asus p4p800 deluxe
1gig corsair 3200 ram
some case with 3 cooling fans
600w psu (atx compusa clone)
XP os
All drivers are up to date.

Games that this occurs in; BF42, CoD, WC3, NWN... DAoC runs fine though :\

My good ol' geforce2 gts might come out of the box (again!).

12-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by brew:
Hi there, I have recently bought a system which is P4 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, HTT etc,
PALIT Daytona Geforce FX 5600,
I have windows XP, DX 9.0b, 1 GIG of PC400 DDR ram (running at Dual Channel)
Gigabyte GA-8PENXP board.
Ok, so when I run any game which uses OPENGL, after a varying time (approx 5 to 10 mins), the screen goes blank, monitor switches off and PC locks up!)
Please help!
I disabled the support for enhanced CPU instruction sets in display properties and the games no longer crashed, but then I had no real OPENGL lighting did I??
I would be grateful of any help guys!

I have the same exact problem with a geforce fx 5600 256mb pny manu.
I KNOW its the video card cause ive gone through everything and even got a error only once saying a critical error happened durning crash when i rebooted. It only happens in open gl and very rarely direct 3d. I dun wana reformat cause i have too much stuff to put back if i do. Everything is up to date, i tried open gl to direct 3d wrapping and nothing works. help plz someone

D1G1T4LL
12-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Hello all. as I'm reading this topic, i think you're all having trouble with how to setup your mobo-bios. usualy when games throw u out like this it has something to do with your bois setup. Things like fast-writes (which gave me loads of problems.) and video ram cache-able can create such crashes. so this should be turned of. U must also check for the memory-timings to be set up right. Shadow-ram anything should also be off. system bios should be cache-able, video ram and bios not. (Mayor crach trigger). furthermore, check the IRQ settings of your system, if your videocard shares IRQ's with some other hardware device, then U should change the other device's IRQ to something that isn't so heavily used as your videocard.
furthermore the newest drivers will be advisable (U might just have to be patient, Geforce FX is still very new, the drivers might still not be 100% bug-free). I can also advise to install the newest service packs for your windows-systems. More debugging tips : take 3dmark 2001 or 2003, and see if that locks up. If it does, take a look at which test causes the problem, than u have a lead to hold on to, when u are looking to find out what going wrong. Ah, one more thing that people often forget, but might be as important as video-card drivers : Mainboard drivers (especcialy AGP-gart drivers.)
The most important hardware your videocard uses are : CPU, AGP, system memory, And of course the gpu itself. I hope u all can make more games run with the tips I just gave u.

Greetings from the netherlands, D1G1T4LL

WARNING: If u deceide to make any changes in your bois, or go tweaking in your regestry :
MAKE NOTES, ON YOUR ORIGINAL SETTINGS, I WON'T BE THERE IF SH*T HAPPENS TO YOUR SYSTEM.

D1G1T4LL
12-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Correction : not all of u off course, some of you, before anyone gets insulted.

12-09-2003, 04:06 PM
I believe that is for direct 3d (3dmark)

12-13-2003, 03:59 AM
Hi all. Erm, I too had the same problem : without any significant HW/SW changes all my games based on the q3 engine (q3, rtcw:et, ...) started crashing after 5 seconds of actual gaming, taking win2k with it.
After reading through this thread I found the solution ! http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif
In order to do a decent defrag, I move my OS controlled pagefile from C : to D: and gave it a fixed size of 700Mb (I have 512Mb RAM btw).
Now apparently, that's the problem ! For some odd reason w2k tries to expand the pagefile (go figure why 512 + 700Mb wouldn't be enough !?!) and that crashed MY system completely. I adjusted the pagefile properties to minsize=700 and maxsize=1500 and now everything works again! I didn't even have to reboot !! ;-)

thx a bunch Orcinus for the tip :-))))

12-13-2003, 04:03 AM
oops, I meant thx simonator ...

12-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Just to add to this ongoing discussion, I rebuilt my system with a dual-boot 98/XP setup to test on another OS. Wolfenstein locked up after approx 15 minutes on 98se as well. Same symptoms; screen goes blank, eternal sound loop, and only recourse is to hard reset system. Totally blew my mind as I thought it HAD to be XP related. I'm beginning to think I'll never be able play these games again!!

System:
P4 3.0 w/ 800mhz fsb
512 ram
palit daytona geforce fx5600 256m

12-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Hi all,

My problem is very similar: my system freezes, go back to windows, crashs,3dmark2001 crash, etc...

After 2 weeks of reformating, switching video board, changing mobo setup, installing winxp patchs, reading forums, googling the internet, stress, etc, I give up and I´ve send my pc to the tecnical assistance....

The big deal is my 512 ram card....they only changed to another new card and VOIALA, the pc is working perfectly!

Because this, here is the tip: Before you gone crazy, try to change the ram card.

Thanks to all,
Tiago Serafim

12-20-2003, 12:01 AM
I had the same problem, Im running a Ti4200 (just a generic 64mb one) anyhow, the only thing that was different to when I run it was the "Disable Support for Enchanced CPU Instruction Sets" wasnt ticked (you can find that option by right clicking your desktop, then go to properties, then settings, then Advanced, Geforce4 Ti4200 in my case, then OpenGL Settings),

12-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Since the initial thread was really about WARCRAFT3, i'd like to say that I had the same problem, WAR3 (and only WAR3, mind you, Quake3 and the rest were working fine http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gifkeeps on crashing ever since I upgraded to an Athlon 1800+, from Duron. I tried a lot of possible software fixes(updates, patches, even the BIOS!) and it didn't fix it, but the solution i found was:
Downclock the processor FSB(266 for the Athlon) to 200mhz, my old Duron setting!!:/ Now it works perfectly, cept I have to contend with a 1.2 instead of a 1.8 processor speed. Arr...

radnar15
12-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Ok, I've got:

Gforce4 TI4600
Windows XP

Problem: Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, Starcraft (although it takes longer), as well as a host of other non blizzard games will crash usually within 20 minutes. Game screen freezes, sound loops, and you cannot exit the screen or restart the computer unless you just turn it off from the tower.

I know for a FACT this is NOT:
1. A driver problem (I have tried new+old ones)
2. A heating problem
3. A virus problem

Here's the catch to this freeze that may be the key for some of you to solve it...when I'm on my college local network connection, or any network for that matter, these games do not crash...even in single player(not online). As SOON as the computer is at home, and I no longer have the network connection, the games freeze again constantly. What COULD the network be doing to prevent the crashes...can anyone make a connection here?

NOTE: Do you think it has to do with BIOS? (if so please tell me exactly what to do)
Do you think is might be DirectX?

12-25-2003, 03:49 AM
I have thesame problem
Call of duty and some other games freeze and bring me an windows error report so i'm back in windows. Sometimes my pc even reboots.
It's driving me INSANE. I-N-S-A-N-E!!!

I use a (Leadtek) Geforce 4 ti4200 with 128mb and 4x AGP

I tried almost EVERYTHING I ever read about this problem but I really don't have a clue wat causes this problems.
If you have:
Plz e-mail to Solid_Snake375@hotmail.com

Thank you for your time all!
Merry Christmas and a happy new year ;-)

12-25-2003, 03:50 AM
ohja i forgot
where can i edit windows pagefile

grtz

12-25-2003, 04:40 AM
I had the same problem, Im running a Ti4200, the only thing that was different to when I run it was the "Disable Support for Enchanced CPU Instruction Sets" wasnt ticked (you can find that option by right clicking your desktop, then go to properties, then settings, then Advanced, Geforce4 Ti4200 in my case, then OpenGL Settings)

WOW That's IT !!! Thank to You!!!

12-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Can someone plz tell me all their opengl settings that are working.
On moment I have

Ticked: Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets.
Ticked: Enable conformant Opengl texture clamp behavior.

Default color depth (for textures):
Always use 16bpp

Buffer-flipping mode:
Auto-select

Vertical sync:
Always off (this one has to be off FOR SURE!)

grtz

12-25-2003, 01:40 PM
I'm shocked...

Couple hours ago i wrote, that everything is just all right...

but now - i've got the same problem that i've had befor. WITH THIS OPTIONS MARKED...

I dunno what to do.

12-28-2003, 11:42 AM
hi all

im having the same problem... games crash, lockups, sound loops sometimes when games crash...

ive tested nba live 2004 (dunno if this requires opengl), war3 and splinter cell and im having problem with all those...

my system is:

-atlon 2600+
-asus a7n8x-x (its not the mobo, ive tested another asus a7n8x-x in my pc and it didnt solved problem)
-2x 256 ram 333mhz
-PNY geforce fx 5600 256MB
-400w psu
-Win XP SP1, all drivers updated, ive tested win XP w/o SP1 and it crashed as well. the bios is not updated, its the only thing i didnt try.

i dunno what to do, warcraft 3 gets fatal error and gets back to windows, and says something like memory could not be "read" -or- "written", and something like 0x000010 (u know, memory addresses)

ive tried each 256 ram card sepparately and it didnt solved the problem...

ive downclocked the processor fsb and it APPARENTLY solved the problem,but i didnt test it too much, and i guess this just changes the fact i can play more time before the system crash(i dont think it'll solve completely the problem, and i dont want my processor working at lower speed anyways, ive paid and i want to use what i paid for http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif)

so much ppl have the same problem, i hope someone find out what is the cause and tell us the solution...

thx

12-29-2003, 03:47 AM
hmmm about last post...

i tried to change the fsb and downclock my processor to an atlon 2000+, and now its working perfectly...

could it be the processor???

12-29-2003, 05:24 AM
You're kidding, no one has a solution yet that will work? That sucks, I never knew how many others had the same problem I have had!

12-29-2003, 05:29 AM
Hey there,

I've been having exactly the same problem and ive tried older drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html This seems to help and prolongs freezing, if it freezes at all. This leads me to believe that this is a software conflict and nothing to do with hardware or temps etc. i have just tried the microsoft agp bug fix and will report my results.

Geza

12-29-2003, 05:37 AM
However, many people here posted problems regarding ATI Radeon cards, for example I have this problem with my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

01-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Ive spent the last 3 weeks researching the problems involved in desktop crashes and lockups (PC Freeze) and here are my findings.
First of all my system spec.

XPSP1 Pro
AMD XP 3200+
MSI K600 DELTA FISR (VIA chipset)
80GB ATA Maxtor
80GB SATA Maxtor
Creative 5.1 Live Digital
Leadtek FX5900 A350TDH
Optorite DVD-RW+/-
Kingston matched DDR RAM

First of all if you have a VIA chipset you MUST install the VIA 4 in 1 drivers which include the latest AGP drivers. If you dont, this can cause a lot of problems with with DirectX causing lock-ups which isnt readily apparant unless you know what your looking for.
This will also solve a problem where you use an AGP card but it shows: AGP (PCI Mode) rather than AGP x4 or x8
Uninstall any maufacture's own VIA drivers and install the 4 in 1.

Second, and this is going to hurt Im afraid.
If your using a VIA chipset and your using a Creative card of any model then this is almost certainly causing lockup's and desktop flashes. This si a well documented problem that Creative dont seem to advertise.
You can test the issue for yourself.
First install the VIA drivers and see if that solves your problems.
If not, remove the Creative card and activate the onboard sound for your motherboard (maybe AC-97 in some cases)
If your freezes stop or are reduced significantly then youve got your problem licked. You now need to go out and get yourself a Hercules, Philip or Terratec sound card.

Above all make sure your BIOS is upto date, your drivers in all areas are upto date.
Its a good idea to use Classical Windows rather than the sugar coated XP windows interface. Like Active desktop in Win98, XP's interface is buggy as hell and a resource hog.

On a side note, my Optorite DVD-RW was causing lockups too. Ive replace that and alls well now.

01-02-2004, 05:03 AM
im going to test it again but now with 256ram xtra

01-02-2004, 11:05 AM
I have an athlon and no problems.
Damn junk pentiums.
It sounds like the mobo chipset drivers.
download the latest chipset drivers for your mobo.
If that doesnt do it i would go to your video card manufactuers web site and use there drivers.
Its definatly a driver issue.\
some times the detonator drivers do not work with oem cards.
But your mobo drivers will cause the same issue so make sure to go to there manufactuer site and get the latest chipset drivers.

AngelEyes
01-03-2004, 01:59 AM
Hi,

I have been having the same problems as you guys. Whenever I play COD or SWKOTOR I get about 30seconds gameplay before the PC reboots itself.

System:
Gigabyte GA-8IHXP mb
Creative 4600 ti
WinXP
I have the latest drivers and chipset etc. for all of my hardware and latest windows updates.

I have been playing both games extensively for weeks before the problems occured. For this reason I think it must either be a windows update or the latest nVidia driver as I haven't had problems before I updated it.

I did try moving my cache to my second drive and that did help, I can now play for 10 mins before the PC reboots.

I think the cache is related but is a symptom of a software issue in the nVidia driver.

I will try instaling an older driver and see what happens, I'll let you know.

AngelEyes
01-03-2004, 02:41 AM
I didn't get round to rolling back my driver. Instead I switched off the two tick boxes in the OpenGl dialogue box in display settings.

(I can't tell you what they are because my power supply just blew up!)

Can this be a coincidence? When I checked on the Creative site there is some info on VIA chipsets which says you need at least a 400w power supply, however I don't have a via chipset.

This is driving me crazy...

01-06-2004, 02:51 PM
STABILITY FIX FOR VIA-BASED BOARDS WORKING WITH GEFORCE CARDS:
http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-via.html

aznboarder49r
01-06-2004, 04:11 PM
i have the same problem as everyone i just bought a geforce fx5200 and installed it on my hp pavilion 753 n and everytime i play counter-strike it freezes after a couple of minutes and my monitor turns off and i hear the last sound i heard in counter-strike repeated while the screen is black.
So far i read all the solutions but i dont know to do it can anyone help me?

01-06-2004, 06:52 PM
I got mymachine working, it was crashing in MOHAA after 5 min of playing. Had to hard start the computer after the crash. I went into the bios and set for the safe defalt settings then configured my lan card receive buffer size to 64k bytes ( was 32 bytes ) in the advanced properties. Lastly moved the pagefile to my D drive and set it for 300 min and 1.5X max I think the bios chande did it, but now the game does not crash. The problem does not look like it is drivers or opengl related, but bios settings.

01-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Yes well, my problem returned also (Same deal, OpenGL games crashing after about 10 minutes),

I'm running
AMD XP 2600+ (Barton Core)
ASUS A7N8X Delux
Generic Ti4200 64Mb
Generic 512 2700DDR

The only thing that I can do that works is lower my FSB from 166 to 155, it pisses me off to do such a thing, but its the only thing that seems to stop my games from crashing every 10 minutes. Im going to try a few more of the tips that have been posted (Must fix this problem). Lots of excellent suggestions in this thread.

01-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Same thing happens with my Warcraft III. 10 minutes, freeze, wait one minute, unfreeze, dropped. =/ I've tried nearly everything on this thread. I have not tried using back drivers from that one page, since I wasn't sure on which link to download and there wasn't any discriptions... My specs:

CPU: AMD XP 22))+ 266MHz FSB
Motherboard: Gigabyte 7VAX
750MB DDR RAM
MSI GeForce4 Ti 4200 128Mb

01-12-2004, 06:22 AM
my old k6-2-450o/c@613mhz with a voodoo3 pci
16mb,/128 mb /8gb+20gb,isa sb-awe-32, runs all the open gl games well, and even will run
win 95 and win98 in dual boot. my duron 1.3
384mb,2-40gb raid-0,ti4200 128mb,sb 5.1,
wont run many games in open gl either, but it does run unreal2003,and will not run win95
i have directx 9.0b installed on both and even have directx 9 drivers for the sound and
voodoo3. the voodoo3 runs at 176core/176mem
the ti is at the factory 250core and 446mem
the duron is not o/c. i can o/c if i need it.
the k6 system even runs ut2003 in 640x480 16 bit color.both sytems are linked to play head to head racing and shooting games. it would be nice for the duron system to actually have better graphics than the rather old k6, software mode looks like im going back to my old amd-486-120 system i had before. i have just started to try
patches,but most of the good head to head games to play with your buddies seem to be opengl, however some racing games are playing good on both systems in head to head.
after all isnt running your buddy off the road and then shooting his @#$$ while having a few beers whats its all about? not looking for some stupid patch to make what should be
a rather good system just work.and the graphics should not look better on my k6 thats pathetic!.and it wont even run windows 95 i still cant believe that.but the new d3d
games look good on the duron/ti system. the old AT still rocks!its only been upgraded 4 times!286,amd386sx33/intel387coprocessor, amd486-dx4-120@133mhz,k6-200@233,k6-2-450@613
the duron 1.3 was a duron 900,but was fried
after a stable year at 1255,1.8v,54c.the old silicon used to just shut down but i guess not no more. if i manage to get most of the
games to work on the duron i want to build a new system maybe a 3000+,or athlon 64,theres a ati 9600se for $199 cdn and comes with halflife2 coupon has anyone tried this card?
i know its a cheaper card, or should i get the 9800 thats $300cdn? is ati better with opengl? why wont a duron run win95?

01-13-2004, 12:56 PM
check your bios

01-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by dan345:
STABILITY FIX FOR VIA-BASED BOARDS WORKING WITH GEFORCE CARDS:
http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-via.html

Heya, i cannot find a download link on this paeg for the patch :S Could someone please help me? thanks

Geza

01-30-2004, 05:47 AM
Okay, here's what I've been able to gather, at least from the call to tech support over at asylum,(running GeForce 5200 256mb ddr), and thier answer, for most of us is "we only give minimul OpenGL support. DirectX is the wave of the future and all the game manufacturers are going to be phasing Open GL support out. Personally, I think it SUCKS!!! I'm having the same problems as the rest of you and feel your pain. My best suggestion would be, that if possible, we start writing and complaining. Maybe if they get enough complaints, something will be done to bring back the support (if what they told me is true, and I know writing and complaining sounds stupid). In the mean time, I'll be seeing what I can do. I'll post a message and let you know what I come up with, if anything. I'm too stubborn to give up. Hang in there[/B]

02-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by thecrimsonghost:
You're kidding, no one has a solution yet that will work? That sucks, I never knew how many others had the same problem I have had!

I had the same problem,
First I've done the registry thing from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...&NoWebContent=1 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q270/7/15.asp&NoWebContent=1)
I had the same problem
After
I've downgraded my nvidia drivers and install this one 29.42_winxp.exe http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

AND WOW!!!! it worked at last!!! Call of Duty doesn't freeze anymore...

I have a EVGA TI 4200 and Win XP with AMD Athlon 2000+

Hope it works for you...

Tell me please...

Bye and Good luck

The thing is the open GL of these drivers is version 1.3, and the newest drivers is 1.4 and is causing the crash...

02-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by dr. death:
check your bios

I have the same problem. This started on one system, I replaced all the parts into a new one and the same issue occured.
System with new components in ():
Athlon XP 2500 (XP 2800 Barton)
WD 80 gig with 8 meg cache (added a new one)
1 gig Corsair PC 3200 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 440MX (PNY FX 5700 Ultra)
AOpen AFK9G Nforce2400 chipset
Creative sound blast 5.1
Pioneer DVD116
Plextor 52x CDRW

I cannot load COD or Wolfenstien ET for longer then 5 secto 2 min. Any Ideas?

02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
having xp pro
amd 2600
gforce 4 ti
2x512 mb intern mem
soundblaster live

and i cant play call of duty
et rtcw or jedi

i tried all whats on this both pages everything !!!

also got me a new mobo
cpu memory and psu http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif

i lost most of my mony here

man does no one has a good answer http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif

i am at astage that i trow out this freaking pc

02-18-2004, 10:07 AM
I got exactly the same problems during 2 months.
Games which crashed : Jedy Academy, Serious Sam, Command & Conquer, Diablo 2, Half-Life, Warcraft 3, Wolfenstein, Unreal Tournament, etc ...
Try software updates of everything ( driveers, BIOS, utilities, etc ... ).
... But no !

I checked the voltages ( in my BIOS ) and it was too high because of a bad fan. Changed it and it works fine.
Check your voltages, we never know ...

02-18-2004, 12:01 PM
To be more precise, it ismy power supply I changed.
( didn't know the word, English is not my mother langauge ... )

Kedrid
02-18-2004, 08:33 PM
I am having a similar problem.. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif I have just put together a P4 2.66gig 512Meg, 480W power supply, I have 120gig HDD, G4 Ti4600 card, 53.03 drivers ( newest ) DX9.0 WinXP OS.
I don't so much crash as my screen flickers ( almost like it wants to change video mode ) and I can see screen, but its unplayable. BAD. I can exit games, then back to windows and all works good.. well windows anyway. It only happens on my OpenGL games. Quake2, 3, Counter-strike, half-life, Medal of Honor:AA. AOK, AOM (age of mythology, and everquest all run perfect? http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif I find this very frustrating. I have checked all my bios settings, and they ( as far as I can tell ) seem fine. I use a ESC " Elitegroup " L4VXA2" motherboard. and I just wanna get my openGL games to work. I read messages and haven't seen a FIX, but willing to try just about anything, I am about to try format HDD, but giving NG a chance first cause everything else seems to work fine?

02-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Its so strange the last months
This problem is showing up more and more
oh i have even bought me a new videocard
had to sell my freaking mountainbike for it damnit
yes i do work but i just need a good pc darnit

whats going on here

i do think its some sort of a virus that is verry hard to detect.
bummer

i really have no clue

only that i am desperate

so much monny spent so little pleasure from it http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif

02-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by corecrusher:
Its so strange the last months
This problem is showing up more and more
oh i have even bought me a new videocard
had to sell my freaking mountainbike for it damnit
yes i do work but i just need a good pc darnit

whats going on here

i do think its some sort of a virus that is verry hard to detect.
bummer

i really have no clue

only that i am desperate

so much monny spent so little pleasure from it http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif

You sure you didn't buy something else with that money?

Perhaps if you even vaguely described your computer, video card, and problems... oh wait, you did that.

02-19-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Kedrid:
I am having a similar problem.. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif I have just put together a P4 2.66gig 512Meg, 480W power supply, I have 120gig HDD, G4 Ti4600 card, 53.03 drivers ( newest ) DX9.0 WinXP OS.
I don't so much crash as my screen flickers ( almost like it wants to change video mode ) and I can see screen, but its unplayable. BAD. I can exit games, then back to windows and all works good.. well windows anyway. It only happens on my OpenGL games. Quake2, 3, Counter-strike, half-life, Medal of Honor:AA. AOK, AOM (age of mythology, and everquest all run perfect? http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif I find this very frustrating. I have checked all my bios settings, and they ( as far as I can tell ) seem fine. I use a ESC " Elitegroup " L4VXA2" motherboard. and I just wanna get my openGL games to work. I read messages and haven't seen a FIX, but willing to try just about anything, I am about to try format HDD, but giving NG a chance first cause everything else seems to work fine?

What is your screen resolution and refresh set to?

Are you using two monitors?

Kedrid
02-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Ok I came up with something new here. oh well first. I have res. @ 1024 X 768 85Hz refreash, I just turned down to 75Hz.. ok but this morning I thought it was all fixed, I was playin' Counterstrike, and I got screen flicker again. I tried to shut down game, and for first time I continued to get flicked in windows. I shut windows down, I saw flicker in Bios start up screen now too.. then I shut down entirely for a few minutes. I re-boot and all was fine? This was strange, so I installed MSI video card utilities. then ran them, to monitor voltage, fan speee, temp, and core clock.. ( I don't over clock ) but then I saw my Temp alarm was going off ;( I installed boxxed drivers, then reboot, and no difference there, then turned off computer took a shower, got on and played counter strike no problems.. I think that before I was seeing the problem only in openGL because games tax your system more then just about anything, and they were heating up video card. I now have sides off the computer case, and am concidering getting a new case today w/ more fans.. I just wonder what kind of problems over heating will cause besides " destryin' your card altogher." I assume re-boot, crashs, flicker??> maybe a lot of the problems people are having are also over heating??

02-19-2004, 08:45 AM
You should check if the fan on your GF4 is still fully operational. I know that alot of GF4's where returned because the fan failed.

Kedrid
02-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Yup fan is fine, workin' great. I got computer sides off now too to help push air, but it may / may not be heat related. just never had screen flicker b4 till this morning, then it was bad, and poured over into Windows, and even when I reboot still flickering ;( , when I turned computer off for 2-3 minutes, it came back up and was working fine? I'm at a compleat loss..

02-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Kedrid:
Yup fan is fine, workin' great. I got computer sides off now too to help push air, but it may / may not be heat related. just never had screen flicker b4 till this morning, then it was bad, and poured over into Windows, and even when I reboot still flickering ;( , when I turned computer off for 2-3 minutes, it came back up and was working fine? I'm at a compleat loss..

Flickering in windows? Could be your monitor is failing.

Kedrid
02-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Well with any luck this will be last post.. Funny you should mention monitor. I was tryin' Counter-strike. just messin' around, and guess what.. flicker. This time however before I could get through exit menu, the monitor went black, and powered down compleatly.. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif I tried on another outlet, and on another computer.. no luck. SO, I went to Office depot, picked up an onsale monitor, I played half-life about 10min, flawless, updated drivers 1 last time, played MoHAA twice, and over 15 min both times. on latest 53.03 Nvidia drivers. FLawless. well mostly.. lol MoH has not screen flicker, but when rendering lil glitches I guess you can call it, but it ALWAYS did that, and not to bad at all I could go upto 85hz refresh, but not going there yet.. Seems monitor was my problem all along.. I hope this helps others, but I mostly saw crashing, and I got flickering. However monitor went bad fast from first problems, about 1 week to big crash, system running great now, and I really appreciate everyones help, and suggestions. not OpenGL problem for me anyway after all..

Tnx,
Kedrid

02-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi all ...... im not registered to this forum but i been reading on here the last 3 days cause i HAD the same problems with open GL games ..... i've hadmy setup for over a year now and never had 1 game not work on it ... i have a AMD xp1900+ and a Gainward Geforce 4 TI4400 ..... 512 meg crucial ram w/heatsink + fan.

Neway i tryed to play WOLF ET and RTCW but after 5-15mins the game wouuld lock and cause that sound loop problem (what lots of people seem to have experienced) , the only way to shut down poota from the lock would be to reset it and then try again.

I tryed going back to the older drivers .... the 4 range of Nvidias but i was still havin no luck, i also tryed the Windows 95 compatibility check within the game (oh sorry im running XP !:> ) and that didnt work.... tryed various settings within the game lower resolutions etc .... still no luck.

Then after swearing loudly at my poota i went into Bios on my Mobo (cant remember what it is ASUS i think ?) and set all the DEFAULt mode it has ..... then apon trying these games again they work ?????? confused i am , but what the hey at least i can play ET again.

Oh yeah , i didnt have anything overclocked in the first place , like i say i used to be able to play open GL games with no probs at all ? so i have no idea what has changed and decided to play up?

Sometimes when i load up Enemy Territory when u see the Open GL box load up quickly, sometimes it says that the pak files have all crashed ? so i come out and then load it again and it loads fine??? i still have no idea why this has happened but for the meantime i'll deal with my poota running on its default settings, and lastly i went back to the newest Nvidia drivers (53.03 i think) Thx for reading hope this helps?!?!?

BigDave

02-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Yes, I experience this with Wolfenstein ET. I think it's just a little bug of this program. And hopefully it's not disappointing ...

02-23-2004, 06:53 AM
Asus A7V8X-X Mobo
Sound & Network integrated
Athlon Barton XP2800+
ATI Radeon 9600 256MB DDR
80Gb HD Seagate
CDRW & DVD -> LG
Wireless network@home (3 PC's) with Conceptronic cards and Access Point
Wireless ADSL with US.Robotics Routers connected to the Access Point
TV card

Enough Power Supply
not a heat problem

All well configured.
The only problem is when playing OpenGL games, the PC locks up, maybe at 5 mins of play, maybe at 2 hours. I tried all the possible configurations (I'm not a ****in noob in this world... I introduced myself 10 years ago, when I was 7 ;-) )

Still locks up.
The only I discovered: if you have a Radeon (speacially 9600) and OpenGL just locks up before you can ever play, active the Fastwrites on BIOS settings, it seems that new Radeons (Very specially 9600) are very dependant on Fastwrites, at least it leat me play some time before locks up while I wait a solution by ATI part... or OpenGL part... or Microsoft part... or wathever is causing the conflict.

Hope someone can play a bit with this trick...

02-23-2004, 01:20 PM
I forgot...

1 Gigabyte DDR-RAM 400Mhz (KingSton)

Also, it isn't a heat problem... I repeat that all it's ok, the crash may be something wrong in ATI drivers with OpenGL or something... in NeverWinter Nights official page, in Tech Supoort Forums, you can find a lot of people with the same problem...

02-24-2004, 06:53 AM
Just a noobie question :

What should be the normal temperature of a graphic card during intensive action ?

Or, how to be sure the fan works fine ? ( between one thousand turns per minute and two thousands turns per minute, I can't make the difference )

P.S : I know, that makes two questions ...

02-24-2004, 08:44 AM
I'm not alone! I'm not a big gamer but love to play MOHAA and Spearhead. They crash after 10-30 min or go for hours when using no Cd patch. Here's a weird one. If I pay with CD in, I can't get past 5 min.

I've run memtest, replaced powersupply, reinstalled WinXP, tried MSI and NVidia drivers and have the lasted Motherboard drivers and Windows patches.

I don't get any weird sound problems just a reboot and the same error code that windows says in a hardware problem. I've run 3DMark 2001 SE on both cards and have not had any freezes or errors.
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/confused.gif

Computer:
A7N8X-X
Athlon XP 2400
Onbourd sound and network
512 ddr kingston
GeForce MX440 64mg
tried FX5200 128mg

02-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Gigabyte ga-7vaxp-ultra
512mb ram
2500+ barton
ti4200
350psu
80gb maxtor
Dx9
windows xp

I had the screen flickers too. Most certainly not the monitor! I had them first in the game, and then in normal windows. Usually I would hear 2 chirps of my hdd and it'd freeze. The freezing went beyond open gl games and started freezing my windows too.

I have for the longest time been watching this board hoping an answer would be posted, but no, it never did. I changed video drivers(uninstall, reinstall [both off the cd, and then some new and old ones from online), repaired windows, changed ram, took loads off my psu, reinstalled spearhead and breakthrough (MOHAA), done everything I read here. I took out my ti4200 and replaced it with the old gf2 440 and the same problems. I checked the fan on my ti4200 and it was running fine (unless it had slowed down). I mounted an 80mm fan on my ti4200 with zip ties (if theres any questions about this, email me deathspade1@yahoo.com) and although the problem didnt go away, the freezing was reduced, but not excessively.

Here recently, the problem has only occured twice in about 50+ hours of game play... and that was initally.

I can only cite 4 things... I changed psu from 300watts to a 350 (all i had laying around), put that 80mm on my ti4200, switched from watercooling to a tmd cpu fan (using watercooling could have increased the load on the psu), and I did a scandisk (which turned up gosh-knows how many errors, like 40 or something cuz its been awhile). So, perhaps it was any of those factors, or perhaps all them in tandem.

As soon as this problem disappeared my roommate starting having the same problem I did.. My roommate is running a 430w psu and having the problem so I guess it wasn't that.

02-25-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by deathspade1:
I had the screen flickers too. Most certainly not the monitor! I had them first in the game, and then in normal windows. Usually I would hear 2 chirps of my hdd and it'd freeze. The freezing went beyond open gl games and started freezing my windows too.

Wow. A great deal of work considering your motherboard was trying to tell you the answer.

Two short beeps from your motherboard usually indicate a POST/CMOS error. Were you overclocking perhaps?

03-06-2004, 03:45 AM
Hello chappies, I ahve used the same PC for over a year now, i recently formatted and guess what - It now locks up during games. I'm a semi-pro counterstrike player and this is devastating to me. Heat is fine as are all my drivers, I have tried everything posted here but to no avail. The facet remains that I have changed nothing in my system. I think I may kill myself soon as nothing could be as frustrating as this. If anybody has any realistic solutions soon, please email me at - officer_lawson@yahoo.com - I'd list my system specs but it doesnt seem to make any difference to anybody anyway, so whats the point. thanks in advance for your help

03-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Lawson1024:
I'd list my system specs but it doesnt seem to make any difference to anybody anyway, so whats the point. thanks in advance for your help

Sorry, can't help the clueless....

03-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Clueless? Can you help anybody else here then? Everybody has posted system specs and everybody is still having the problem. I have a Pentium 4 3.4ghz, radeon 9700pro, 512mb pc4000 corsair ram, 169gh hdd and I'm currently using onboard sound. If this helps in any way i'd be rather surprised.

03-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Lawson1024:
Clueless? Can you help anybody else here then? Everybody has posted system specs and everybody is still having the problem. I have a Pentium 4 3.4ghz, radeon 9700pro, 512mb pc4000 corsair ram, 169gh hdd and I'm currently using onboard sound. If this helps in any way i'd be rather surprised.

Each problem is specific... yours would take a bit more detective work and a whole lot more information from you.

gertrudisz
03-07-2004, 05:50 AM
My problem is like yours. Before I have WinXP on my Pc the Return to castle Wolfenstein works fine, but now it doesn't work. I ask you my video card has a problem, my OS or what? I have a Nvidia Riva Tnt 64 Pro video card, and under Win 98 the game work's properly but now it doesn't work. If somebody get the answer, please e-mail me at gerczuj@yahoo.com
Thanks...

03-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Playing C & C Generals my PC crashes to windows, I have just reinstalled everything with new drivers and no difference. It is usually about 30 minutes or more into the game.
Athlon 2.7,2 x 512 matched mem, Radeon 9600 pro. K7N2 Motherboard, serial ATA raid 120 Gig HDisk
I suspect the graphics card now isince reading previous replies, before this I was stumped. Any tests I can do on the 9600?

03-17-2004, 03:02 PM
no 1 has a soluton yet?!!! :'(

03-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Uh:
Wow. A great deal of work considering your motherboard was trying to tell you the answer.

Two short beeps from your motherboard usually indicate a POST/CMOS error. Were you overclocking perhaps?

Listen, I clearly said two chirps from my HDD. The point was, I heard two chirps from my harddrive, while in windows, and it would freeze. By chirp I mean the sound you would hear when say, searching for a file on your PC. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with my harddrive, or that rather common noise, just stating my happenings as detailed as I could.

03-20-2004, 03:19 AM
Please, I would like all of you to examine your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ). The box which is over your motherboard, with a big fan.
Just look at the numbers written on it. On a piece of paper, note the maximum amps for each voltage ; on mine, there is written for example :
+3.3V = 28 A
+5V = 25.5 A
+12V = 16 A

Only those voltages interest us.
Think also about the total watts it can give, often in the name ; for me :
Fortron 350W Aurora, so it 350 W.

Now, we will do a bit of mathematis ( don't worry, you have in front of you a giant calculator ... ). Take the 3.3V max amps and the 5V max amps ( we will call "3max" and "5max" ). Here is the operation :
3.3 and 5 combined = 5 * 5max + 3.3 * 3max

For me, it will be :
5 * 25.5 + 3.3 * 28 = 220 W

My combined 3.3 and 5 is 220 W.

Okay, I get the number ... And what ?
Now, if you own a GeForce4 Ti or an ATI 5000+ and/or an AMD CPU, you'll need more than 200W to have a stable system. Mine is just enough for my GeForce4 Ti 4200 and AMD Athlon XP 2000+.

Also, if you have a lot of components on your motherboard, maybe your total wattage won't be enough. My 350W is enough for me. You have Internet links to check if your total wattage is enough ( I don't remember ).

Of course, it will be stable on some systems, I only gave the best stable system. Check this, and if it is not good, test it with the PSU of your friend !
( You must have a friend with a very big computer, very expensive, but who doesn't know anything about computers and never use the maximum abilities of it ... Look for him ! )

Check this before checking other things. Electricity supply is the base of your computer. If power isn't good, how do you want your computer to work ?
I say it, because most of problems with 3D games crashing come from it.

Good luck

03-22-2004, 04:02 PM
i got the exact same problems too, with most of the q3-engine games. wolfenstein et and mohaa shutdown when i get into the game, and on the menu screens the mouse lags.

athlon 3000+
1gb ram
radeon 9600
HUGE heat sink too.

03-23-2004, 07:19 AM
Did you check your PSU Canadian ? ( look at my last reply )

04-21-2004, 08:57 PM
For the ppl whos 3D games used to work, then over time began to freeze with the NV/VIA symptoms. Here is some interesting thoughts about the power supply theories: Remember that your PS gives you standard voltages such as 3.3V, 5V, 12V etc. but on the Mobo there are switching or linear voltage regulators to give your core voltages such as 1.5V and 1.8V. In order for these core supplies to be stable under various load conditions, they require solid capacitor decoupling with low ESR and good tolerances. Well, all those little metal cylinders marked with stuff like 3300 uF 6.3V are Aluminum Electrolytic capacitors and only last so long (1000-5000 hrs). I looked under the hood of my Ath 1.3 puter and lo and behold, the vents on those little suckers had expanded. I have learned a lesson here about cheap boards: get the ones that have Tantalum caps. They looks like little orange boxes instead of metal cylinders and last and last.
BTW, changing vid cards and supplies and drivers and reinstalls of OS's will not cure a crap mobo that cant handle sudden loads on the AGP.
The big boys also point out repeatedly that it IS possible to burn out the vid chip and/or Northbridge do to bad power/clock situations. The timing and signal integrity on the bus can be Permanently affected

05-01-2004, 06:52 PM
OK, replaced the electrolytic capacitors mentioned in the previous message with an order from Digi-KEY of 3000uF caps. Two for the Northbridge chip, and two for the Athalon. I was able to Play Jedi Academy for over 8 hours and no crashes or lock-ups. Whaddya know?!
Moral of the story: It may not be your vid card or drivers or power supply, but your aging motherboard that is to blame. It stands to reason that so many people are able to get the games working again with a brand spankin new mobo.

05-08-2004, 03:29 AM
It is as simple as getting rid of your NVida card. I test machines and software and found that NVida freezes up more than it should. ATI is the way to go. I just installed a new X800 Pro XL and didnt have any problems what so ever. I have used 9000, 9600 9800 pro's and 9800 All in Wonder Cards from ATI. The G-Force cards just dont stand up. They are great for business aps and that is about it.

Quikii
05-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Hallo.
I have big problem.
3 months ago I was playing ET and Mohaa and everything work just fine but one day my ET crushes and then I tryed Nvidia drivers, I update it and downgrade it, but it still crashes (befoure this problem I didnt even know what is Nvidia drivers) So then I format my computer and now ET and mohaa crashes but not complitly they freeze for about 5-10 sec then I can play max 2 min and then it freezes again for 5-10 sec and at the same time comes sound loop.
I have friend in my clan he knows very much about computers and we tryed to solve this problem.

what we did:
Update windows
update sound card and downgrade it
update motherboard drivers
re-instal windows xp
swich 3d card place in computer
and something else but nothing seems to work

If somebody can help me I would be very happy
plz

My computer specs:
Pentium 4 1700 mHz
Geforce 2 mx 400 driver 45.33
DIMM 256
motherboard is Abit BW7
Sound card is intergradet

Sry everybody but my english sucks very much.

05-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Quikii:
Hallo.
I have big problem.
3 months ago I was playing ET and Mohaa and everything work just fine but one day my ET crushes and then I tryed Nvidia drivers, I update it and downgrade it, but it still crashes (befoure this problem I didnt even know what is Nvidia drivers) So then I format my computer and now ET and mohaa crashes but not complitly they freeze for about 5-10 sec then I can play max 2 min and then it freezes again for 5-10 sec and at the same time comes sound loop.
I have friend in my clan he knows very much about computers and we tryed to solve this problem.

what we did:
Update windows
update sound card and downgrade it
update motherboard drivers
re-instal windows xp
swich 3d card place in computer
and something else but nothing seems to work

If somebody can help me I would be very happy
plz

My computer specs:
Pentium 4 1700 mHz
Geforce 2 mx 400 driver 45.33
DIMM 256
motherboard is Abit BW7
Sound card is intergradet

Sry everybody but my english sucks very much.I'm guessing you either have bad RAM or a bad motherboard.

If you completely reinstall Windows and the problem continues, then software is generally not a problem. It's got to be something hardware related.

05-08-2004, 04:13 PM
You probably have a bad motherboard. My brother has a similar ABIT and it failed recently in a similar way. I couldn't fix it.

I was able to fix my own Gigabit board though. [see earlier post] Games still work fine.

Quikii
05-11-2004, 07:22 AM
well but the thing is that my games workt fine
3 months ago why they are not working now? :confused:

05-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Check your Application Profile.
You might have to set it manually.

This is from nVidia's Release notes:

Medal of Honor Under Windows XP and Windows
• Problem
The Electronic Arts game Medal of Honor uses a hard coded buffer to parse
the OpenGL extension string. This can cause a system crash under Windows
XP and Windows 2000.
• Workaround
NVIDIA has implemented Medal of Honor application detection to work
around this extension string crash.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windo ws/56.72/ForceWare_Release_55_Graphics_Driver s_Release_Notes_v56.72.pdf

05-13-2004, 05:20 PM
I had the same issue, games worked fine until they didn't. Then did everything including fresh install of windows, original drivers, etc. And still the games failed. I had performed no windows update or anything that would suspect a bug. Then I found the failure of the mobo and fixed it. The games worked fine after that, even with new drivers and windows updates. Remember, the condition of the electronics on your motherboard can change over time, especially with warm operating conditions. It happened to both me and my brother. Games that use to work, stopped working over time. I say get a new mobo. The cheap ones only seem to last just over 2 years. How old is yours?

06-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Ok I have had this problem with many cards including ati 9600 xt, 9800 pro, and for a short while pny geforce fx 5900. Same issues, games would freeze or the monitor would go in to power save mode or an out of sync error would occur. Now I have tried everything i could think of including things in this thread. I tried fresh installs and different os like 2000 pro and 98 2nd even. None seemed to fix the problem all together. Some would just delay the crash. But i think i finally did fix the problem by editing bios settings. This is the rig.
Soyo Ultra Plat
Amd XP 3200+ Barton
1 SATA Drive, 2 IDE drives. All Western Dig.
1 gig of kingston ram
9600 xt, 9800 pro, fx 5900 se(not all at the same time of course)
500 watt psu
Lots of cooling power as well.
First i loaded the fail safe settings in cmos and then turned the agp speed down to 4x. This has seemed to put an end to all my crashes but i will see. All i can think of (for my problem at least) was some sort of confilct within the bios or just between the mother board and these cards. I have yet to change the agp speed back to 8x but so far i have had an up time of 3 days. A new record for this rig. Ill post here again if it does happen to crash when I turn agp to 8x. This may not help any of you, but its just another option. I know this is not a problem unique to ati or nvidia cards, nor unique to mother board or cpus. So to those that have post something to that end, you are dead wrong. This does seem to be quiet a wide spread problem though.

06-28-2004, 02:25 PM
I had the same problem as some of you guys a while back. Consinstent chrashes when my graphics card got some load.

I found that my problem was the AGP aperture size (a BIOS setting for those who don't know...)was set too low. It should be at least the same size as the amount of memory on your graphics card, preferably twice as big.
The AGP aperture size lets the computer know how much graphics information should bybass the CPU and be sent directly to the graphics card. If it is set too low it can cause a lot of problems.

Give it a try, it worked fine for me (on several occations). Good luck

07-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Hallor , im surprised no one has got it yet!!,
On page 4 of the forums you will see a mention of the AGP features.
Granted, alot of you use ASUS A7V87X or what ever motherboards, heck even i use one aswell, but after careful study of the same problem it is the AGP features on your VIA motherboards that is the problem, i dont think there is a BIOS version out yet to correct this problem, but most of you use AGP-8X cards, try going down to an AGP-4X card.

I did this a long time ago, my system specs are irrelevent, but i put my GeForce 4 MX440 back in after my GeForce FX 5200 and hey problem solved.
Until ASUS bring out a BIOS fix for this problem, go back to an older GeForce 4 AGP-4X card or similar and that should help.

(by the way i apologise for my bad spelling)
Atomizer349385